The Tsarskoye Selo Museum-Preserve has received a gift of items that once belonged to Alexandra Tegleva (1884-1955), the head-nurse maid to the children of Nicholas II. She later married Pierre Gilliard in 1922. The items were recently donated to the museum by her 83-year-old niece, Marie-Claude Gilliard Knecht, who lives in France.
One piece of jewellery - a brooch, which was presented to Tegleva on the occasion of the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty in 1913 shows the personal coat of arms of the Romanovs, the golden griffin. The brooch is decorated with four rubies and one diamond. The second item is a pocket watch made by Pavel Buhre (Supplier of His Majesty's Court). According to the inscription, the gift was presented to Tegleva by Empress Alexandra Feodorovna on Christmas Day, 1904.
From 1901, Alexandra Tegleva (known as “Shura” to the Imperial family) served as a nurse for the imperial children. She had a room on the second floor of the Alexander Palace, next to the rooms of grand duchesses. She voluntarily followed the Imperial family into exile to Tobolsk. When the children were moved to the Ipatiev House at Ekaterinburg, Tegleva was not allowed to join them and sent back to Tobolsk. In 1920, she escaped Russia via Vladivostok with Pierre Gilliard. They lived for a brief period in Paris with the family of the Nikolai Sokolov, investigator of the murders of the family of Nicholas II. In 1922, she married Pierre Gilliard and they later settled in Lausanne, Gilliard's hometown.
All documents related to Pierre Gilliard and Alexandra Tegleva, are now kept in the Pierre Gilliard Foundation at the Cantonal University Library (BCU) in Lausanne, Switzerland. Marie-Claude Gilliard Knecht and her family allowed the staff of the Tsarskoye Selo State Museum Preserve to copy a number of documents, including Pierre Gilliard’s personal collection of 200 photos, and granted the right to use them for exhibition and research purposes. Among them - letters to Gilliard's parents and brother during his first years at the Alexander Palace, his memories of life in Siberia and his stay with Kolchak, letters from Tsesarevich Alexei, postcards, and sheet music set to a prayer written by Grand Duchess Olga Nikolayevna.
In addition, Ms. Gilliard Knecht transferred to the museum photographs of a Gilliard as a young man and in old age, taken not long before his death in 1962, two photos of Alexandra Tegleva taken in the 1940s and 50s, and a satin towel embroidered by Tegleva depicting the Spasskaya Tower of the Moscow Kremlin.
Marie-Claude Gilliard Knecht lived with Alexandra Tyeglev and Pierre Gilliard for eight years. They regaled their niece with tales of their happy years with the last tsar and his family at Tsarskoye Selo, and the terrible months of exile in Siberia. After the Revolution, Tegleva maintained a memorial room in which there were pictures of the Imperial children, her pupils.
Last of the Romanovs: The Family Album Topic: Exhibitions
A poster for the exhibit with Grand Duchesses Maria and Anastasia, Tsesarevich Alexis, Grand Duchesses Olga and Tatiana in 1908
The exhibition, Last of the Romanovs: The Family Album, is part of a larger project entitled My family. My country. My Story. being held in Moscow. The exhibition is timed to coincide with several important dates in the history of the Romanov dynasty.
On November 1, the church marked the birthday of the Holy Martyr Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna.
In addition, on November 4, the feast of Our Lady of Kazan is celebrated, along with National Unity Day (this holiday has undergone several name changes through the centuries). The latter commemorates the liberation of Moscow from foreign invaders in November 1612. This event marked the end of the Troubles in Russia and the beginning of the Romanov dynasty in 1613, after Tsar Mikhail Feodorovich ascended the throne.
The Ostozhenke Family Club in Moscow will host an exhibit of photographs entitled Last of the Romanovs: The Family Album. The collection of more than 30 vintage photos showcase the family of Emperor Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna, their children, as well as the Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna. The photos are little known, and yet will portray to visitors to the exhibit a simple, every day family. The photos show the Imperial family walking and enjoying nature, the August children playing games, family holidays, and more.
The exhibit will run from November 1st—11th, 2013 at Ostozhenke located at Ulitsa Ostozhenka 7/1 in Moscow.
IOPS Opens Museum in Moscow Topic: Sergei Alexandrovich
The museum is housed in the IOPS Center, Ulitsa Zabalina 3 in Moscow
The Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society (IOPS) opened a new museum in Moscow last week. The opening ceremony was attended by the mayor of Moscow, Sergei Sobyanin. He toured the exhibition which includes a memorial plaque in honour of the Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich and his wife, the Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna. The plaque was consecrated by Archbishop Mark Egorievskiy.
Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich, was a founding member and served as the first President of IOPS from April 24, 1889-1905, while his wife, Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna, served as the second President of IOPS from 1905-1917.
The opening of the museum coincided with the birthday of the Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna (born November 1st, 1864 at Darmstadt). Since the end of the 19th century the IOPS have helped Russian pilgrims in the Holy Land. They have also established schools, hospitals and hospices in the Middle East, providing assistance to local residents, churches and clergy.
"Bit by bit, we have put together the story of the IOPS, which has played an important role in the fate of our country, and the development of relations between Russia and the countries of the Holy Land,” - said Sergey Stepashin, Chairman of IOPS.
Visitors to the museum can see the pilgrim relics from the Holy Land, books and brochures, issued by IOPS for many pilgrims, portraits and personal belongings of the chairmen and honorary members of the IOPS and more. There is also a section on modern-day Russian activities in the Holy Land, construction and restoration of pilgrimage centers, Russian spirituality and culture in Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Bari, Italy, and Syria, now war-torn. "Russia is returning to the Holy Land," - said Nicholas Lisovoy, deputy chairman of the IOPS for Science.
On the same day at the museum was a large-scale conference, In the Service of Moscow and the Fatherland, where researchers and social activists presented papers on the activities of Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich and Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna, and the history of "Russian Palestine." Next year, they plan to install a monument to the grand ducal couple in Moscow.
The Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society was founded in 1882 by decree of Emperor Alexander III. Its members were all prominent members of the aristocracy, including members of the Imperial family. After the Revolution the society was renamed the Russian Palestine Society and attached to the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. In 1992 the IOPS was restored, and today operates 18 regional offices in Russia and seven overseas offices in Israel, Palestine, Greece, Cyprus and other countries.
An exhibition dedicated to the 400th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty, opened Friday at the Museum of Novosibirsk. The exhibition focuses on the Emperors Alexander III and his son, Nicholas II and their respective contributions in the creation of Siberia’s largest city. Novosibirsk was founded in 1893 as Novo-Nikolayevsk, in honour of both Saint Nicholas and of the reigning Tsar Nicholas II.
“The idea to open another Romanov exhibition in the city was decided early last year,” said curator Irina Khlebnikov, “when Novosibirsk had unveiled a monument to Alexander III. There was a sudden surge of interest in the historical theme, and we realized that the evidence linking our city and the imperial family, the citizens are virtually unknown.”
One of the most interesting exhibits is a silver cup, which Nicholas I gave to his son Alexander II on the occasion of the birth of his grandson - Alexander III in 1845.
The exhibition also features original engravings, documents and objects, rare photographs related to the life of the royal family, as well as cards and magazines of the early twentieth century. In addition, the exhibition offers unique documents from the archives of the first women's Novo-Nikolayevsk Grammar School marking the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty in 1913.
Of particular interest are perfume bottles made by the famous Russian Brocard factory. According to Khlebnikov, Brocard made a distinctive perfume for the Empress Alexandra Feodorovna in honour of the 1913 Tercentenary. The fragrance was so popular that it continued to be sold after the Revolution, however, under a different name: Red Moscow.
The last emperor, Nicholas II did a lot for Novo-Nikolayevsk. He brought both the Trans-Siberian and Altai railways to the city, making Novo-Nikolayevsk a major crossroads between Russia and its Siberian outposts. After a terrible fire in 1909 in which more than 700 homes were destroyed, Nicholas II allocated funds to rebuild the city. To this day, the people of modern-day Novosibirsk maintain a special relationship to the memory of the last Russian Emperor.
The Tsar Exhibition: Imperial Family and Novo-Nikolayevsk will run until the end of January 2014.
Monument to Alexander III Recalls 1888 Borki Train Disaster Topic: Alexander III
A new monument to Emperor Alexander III was unveiled on October 30th in the Kharkov region of the Ukraine. The bronze bust marks the 125th anniversary of the train crash at Borki in 1888, in which the emperor and his family were travelling.
The Imperial family were returning from the Crimea to Moscow onboard the Imperial train on October 29 (O.S. October 17), 1888, when it derailed killing 22 people and injuring 68, all members of the Imperial family miraculously survived.
The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour was built at Borki in 1891-1894 to commemorate the event at the crash site, and in 1909 a bronze bust of Alexander III was erected. The bronze bust was destroyed after the Revolution, the church was badly damaged during the World War II after the gold dome was shelled, and eventually blown up at the end of the war.
"The new monument was made in Russia and is a gift from the Revival of Cultural Heritage Fund in Moscow," - said Sergey Moiseev. "As our organization Triune Russia could not deliver their own monument to the Ukraine, we enlisted the help of the president of Russia Vladimir Putin and the Russian Railways to ensure the delivery of the monument to the Ukraine. The new monument is a replica of the monument destroyed after the Revolution. This year we celebrate the 400th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty, so it is a good opportunity to draw attention of our fellow citizens, the general public and to this little-known tragedy in the history of Russia and the Imperial family. "
A liturgy was held followed by the consecration of the new monument by Archbishop Izyumsky of Kupyanskaya and Elisha. The ceremony was attended by representatives of the Don and Terek Cossacks, who at one time formed part of the personal guards of the Imperial family.
Moiseev also noted that in addition to restoring the monument to Alexander III, Triune Russia are working on plans of a reconstruction of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour near the site of the imperial train wreck. There is currently a small memorial chapel on the site of the destroyed church, constructed in 2003.
The Borki train disaster is widely discussed by author and historian, Margarita Nelipa, in her forthcoming book, Alexander III: His Life and Reign, to be published later this month by Royal Russia. She notes in her introduction: "Alexander III’s train accident near Borki village in 1888 is one incident that has received extensive exposure in history books, however, few would be aware that there was a subsequent investigation, which led to an unforeseen outcome, which Alexander III capably resolved using his autocratic power. Both these events are tied together for the first time in English in Chapter XIII using letters, eyewitness accounts and notes that were provided by the brilliant chief procurator of the day, Anatoli Koni."
Imperial Gala at Livadia Palace, September 22nd, 2013 Topic: Maria Vladimirovna
Last month I reported on the heirs to the exiled royal houses of Europe and Africa who gathered at the Livadia Palace, taking advantage of the invitation of the Crimean government and HIH Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, Head of the Russian Imperial House. The following report and news footage of this historic gala reception, held on the evening of September 22nd was published by the Ukrainian Internet portal Segodnya.ua and Royal Russia.
Celebrating the 400th Anniversary of the House of Romanov, in what was once the Imperial summer residence of Tsar Nicholas II, the guests were treated to a royal gala reception. Sparkling with diamonds and smiles, aristocrats from Austria and Hungary, Serbia, Albania, Germany, Portugal, Italy, Egypt and Sudan grandly walked along the red carpet lined with a guard of honour composed of Ukrainian sailors. The only one who lingered was the King of Egypt and Sudan – Fuad II, who rushed into the crowd of onlookers, smiling confusedly into the lenses of cameras. To avoid such an incident, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, with the heir Grand Duke Georgy Mikhailovich, were accompanied arm-in-arm by Viktor Plakida, the Envoy of the President of Ukraine in Crimea.
A children’s ensemble danced “The Nutcracker” for the guests, and the Orchestra of the 36th Independent Brigade of Coastal Defense of the Ukrainian Navy amused them with an “orchestral defile”. When it sounded “God Save the Tsar” and the number “400” flared up with fireworks on the roof of the palace, the titled guests were invited into the music room for evening cocktails, where historical records of the dynasty were presented to them.
A great table was laid in the gala White Hall, where eyes went dizzy looking at all the original dishes. “Everything was cooked according to pre-revolution recipes,” one of the waiters told us. “We are treating the guests with quails stuffed with veal, patties with mushrooms, meat and cabbage, and a variety of ingenious Russian drinks. Since this event is taking place in the Crimea, we'll also be serving rack of lamb.”
At the table, the Grand Duke Georgy Mikhailovich, who was trying not to miss a single patriotic toast, and Chairman of the Supreme Council of Crimea, Vladimir Konstantinov, were sitting next to HIH Grand Duchess Maria on either side. The Grand Duchess told us that she was greatly pleased to have gathered such dear guests under the roof of the royal palace and to be celebrating the 400th anniversary of her dynasty. She was satisfied with the reception, noting that “rigid keeping of protocol can impoverish the colour of an event,” and kept saying with a smile: “Everyone is so beautiful!”
Incidentally, the Grand Duchess maintains a very busy schedule: “Her visits are planned for the next three years,” said Prince Vadim Lopukhin. “She considered it her duty not to miss this event, and to pay tribute to the Crimea and Ukraine, with which we once lived as one state.”
Toward the end of the evening, the guests were served dessert to the music of Wagner: fruit consommé, marmalade and wine from local Crimean cellars. Visiting princesses studied the unusual vegetation of the Italian patio and had their pictures taken, which incredibly pleased the heir Georgy Mikhailovich, a titled bachelor.
Prince Lopukhin disclosed a secret – that the Empress received vegetables from Ukrainian President Yanukovych’s garden as a present. “We have been eating delicious onions and tomatoes from the garden of the head of state for the second day now,” said Vadim Olegovich. “We are very grateful to Viktor Yanukovych, as there are no real fruits and vegetables in Europe.” According to the prince, Maria Vladimirovna gladly eats ‘salo’ and ‘vareniki’ in the Crimea: “By the way, ‘borscht’ and ‘pelmeni’ are often served at her Spanish home.”
For more information and photographs of this Imperial event, please refer to the following article:
Faberge Figure Sells for Record $5.2 Million Topic: Faberge
Photo Credit: Stair Galleries
An attic treasure soared to a record price in 15 minutes during intense bidding in a packed sales room in Hudson, New York, on October 26th. The rare Fabergé Imperial figure ultimately sold to a phone bidder for $5.2 million (hammer price; $5,980,000 with fees) against a pre-sale auction estimate of $500,000 to $800,000. The last of such hardstone figures sold for $1.8 million in 2005, at Sotheby’s, New York.
Nicholas II commissioned Fabergé to produce the portrait figure of N.N.Pustynnikov, the personal Cossack bodyguard (Kamer-Kazak, or Chamber-Cossack) to the Empress Alexandra Feodorovna, and also a second figure, of the Kamer-Kazak to the Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna, in 1912.
Discovered in an attic by the executor of a Rhinebeck, NY, estate, the figure was purchased at Hammer Galleries, in Manhattan, by Mr. George Davis in December 1934, and had been in the same family ever since. The figure was known to collectors, but the whereabouts was unknown until 2 months ago.
The total number of Fabergé hardstone carvings of human figures produced by Fabergé is probably no more than fifty. They are therefore extremely rare, on a level of rarity with the Imperial Easter Eggs, and the portrait figures, depictions of known historical persons rather than simply "types," are rarer still. Very few portrait figures were produced by Fabergé.
The piece was purchased by Wartski, the famed London based jeweler, who are the jewelers to the Queen of England. They specialize in Russian pieces, most notably Fabergé. It’s not clear if they were purchasing it for stock or a private client. According to the London firm, “the purchase of the figure is a continuation of our long running tradition of acquiring Imperial Russian Works of Art. Wartski were Armand Hammer's prime rivals in the 1920's and 1930's in buying the confiscated Imperial treasures from the Soviet government. We have over the years owned twenty of these rare hardstone figures, as well as a dozen of the legendary Imperial Fabergé Easter Eggs.”
Monument to Murdered Grand Dukes at Peter and Paul Cathedral Topic: Peter and Paul Fortress
A memorial plaque in memory of the four Romanov grand dukes murdered by the Bolsheviks in 1919 can be found in the Grand-Ducal Mausoleum of the Peter and Paul Fortress at St. Petersburg. It was erected and sanctified on January 30, 2004, in the presence of Dmitry Romanovich Romanov, great-great-grandson of Emperor Nicholas I.
Gold letters on a white Carrara marble inscribed the words:
"Eternal memory, the most worthy representatives of the Russian Imperial House, innocent victims in January 1919 in the Peter and Paul Fortress. The names of the martyrs - Orthodox Grand Duke Paul Alexandrovich, Orthodox Grand Duke Dmitry Konstantinovich, Orthodox Grand Duke Nikolai Mikhailovich, Orthodox Grand Duke Georgy Mikhailovich. "
A Decree of the Presidium of the Cheka, ordered the grand dukes to be sentenced to death. The sentence was carried out on January 24, 1919 in a yard of the Peter and Paul Fortress. Their bodies were thrown into an unmarked mass grave. In December 2009, a grave was discovered containing the remains of 17 people, plus bullets, shells, gold jewellery, shoes and fragments of clothing. In September 2013, I reported that the State Museum of St. Petersburg ordered further excavations of the fortress, with hopes to to receive further funding to assist with the identification of the remains, including costly DNA analysis.
I have been following this discovery since 2009, and have posted numerous articles on the subject in both Royal Russia News and my blog. To review them, please refer to the following links:
The Family of Alexander III at Gatchina Exhibition to Open Temporarily at Gatchina Topic: Alexander III
The Gatchina State Museum have announced that they will open the exhibition The Family of Alexander III at Gatchina for a short period in November. Originally opened in 2007, the exhibition has been closed for months due to the restoration work on the marble staircase leading to the former private apartments of Emperor Alexander III and his family.
From 1 to November 17, during the Children's Days in St. Petersburg Festival, visitors will have the unique opportunity to visit the private rooms of the Imperial family.
The following photographs show some views of the former private apartments of Alexander III and his family at Gatchina:
For more information and photos on this exhibition, please refer to the following article on our blog;