Reflected Glory: the Romanovs, Wurttemberg and Europe Topic: Exhibitions
The Landesmuseum Wurttemberg will host a new exhibition Reflected Glory: the Romanovs, Württemberg and Europe from October 5th, 2013 to March 23rd, 2014.
Five marriages, four generations, one story
At Stuttgart’s Old Castle, an imposing structure steeped in history, a special exhibition entitled Reflected Glory: the Romanovs, Württemberg and Europe tells the story of five legendary women whose marriages formed the basis of the extraordinary history shared by the House of Württemberg and the Russian Romanov dynasty. For the first time, an exhibition sheds light on the impact of these marriages on European politics, on the domestic and social policies of the two countries as well as on their respective courts.
The special relationship between the Romanovs and Württemberg began in 1776, when Württemberg Princess Sophie Dorothee married Russian Tsar Paul I. As Empress Maria Feodorovna, she was as actively involved in Russian charitable institutions as she was present on the stage of European power politics.
The ambitious Friederike Charlotte Marie of Wurttemberg, too, found her fortune in Russia. Under the name Elena Pavlovna, she fostered the cultural advancement of St. Petersburg and, amongst other activities, founded the Russian Red Cross.
Maria Feodorovna’s daughter Catherine and her granddaughter Olga, both remembered as noble-minded queens of Württemberg, took the hearts of the Württemberg population by storm. Even today, many local institutions continue to bear withness to their great social commitment.
The marriage of tempestuous Grand Duchess Vera Konstantinovna, Olga's adopted daughter, to Duke Eugen of Württemberg is a brilliant concluding chapter in the marital relations of the Russian and Württemberg royal families.
Selected art treasures from the Württemberg State Museum and high-profile Russian museums such as the Kremlin or the Pavlovsk and Peterhof imperial palaces reflect pomp, power, splendour and glory, but also homesickness, daily routine, faith and legend.
Photo Exhibition on Tsarskoye Selo in Zerbst, Germany Topic: Tsarskoye Selo
Rare colour autochrome of the Great Hall in the Catherine Palace as it looked in 1917. Photo: Tsarskoye Selo State Museum Preserve
The photo exhibition Tsarskoye Selo: The Summer Residence of Russian Emperors runs June 26th to October 6th in the town of Zerbst in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany.
In June 2012, ten members and the chairman of the Zerbst Castle Restoration Trust visited Tsarskoye Selo and left impressed with the latest achievements of the imperial summer residence and especially the Catherine Palace, which was, like the Zerbst Castle, totally devastated by the Second World War but stands reborn now.
The German-Russian co-concept has brought forth this photo exhibition which includes the following topics: historical interiors of the Catherine Palace, destruction during the Second World War, reconstruction and restoration, as well as current views of the Palace and Park. The 53 large pictures from our museum collection are accompanied with captions and explanatory texts in German and Russian, which were thoughtfully provided by the Tsarskoye Selo staff and translated by the hosting side.
The display is set out in the former apartment of Prince Frederick Augustus of Anhalt-Zerbst, the brother of Empress Catherine II, in the east wing of the Zerbst Castle.
The exhibition opening ceremony took place on 25 June 2013 and was attended by its patrons, Ambassador Vladimir M. Grinin of the Russian Federation in Germany and Minister President Reiner Haseloff of Saxony-Anhalt. The project is supported by the city of Zerbst, Gazprom Germania GmbH and the Savings Bank Foundation Anhalt-Zerbst, and aims to draw national and international attention to the Zerbst Castle.
New Monument to Empress Catherine II at Tsarskoye Selo Topic: Tsarskoye Selo
A new monument to Empress Catherine II has been unveiled in front of the Cathedral of St. Catherine in Tsarskoye Selo (Pushkin). The monument is the work of the Russian sculptor Vladimir Gorev and based on a portrait by Feodor Stepanovich Rokotov. This the second monument to the Empress Catherine the Great in Tsarskoye Selo.
The Cathedral of St. Catherine was originally constructed between 1835-1840 by Konstantin Ton. It was demolished by the Soviets in 1939 and restored in 2010 for the 300th anniversary of Tsarskoye Selo. During my recent visit to St. Petersburg, I spent a full day at Tsarskoye Selo and visited this beautiful cathedral. The restoration of the facade is now in its final phase, while much work has yet to be done on the interiors. Once complete, it will be one of the most beautiful cathedrals in the St. Petersburg region.
St. Petersburg Hosts Architecture, Town Planning, Restoration Exhibition Topic: Exhibitions
St. Petersburg is well known all over the world as a city with a rich historical heritage and abundance of monuments of architecture. On July 1 the Northern Capital traditionally celebrates in the Day of Restorers. This holiday is an acknowledgement of merits of craftsmen who restored beauties of our city. The events held within the framework of the celebration will include the 6th International Specialized Exhibition Architecture, Town Planning, Restoration that will be held on June 26-28, 2013 and will feature the latest achievements of restorers, both of professional restores working in our city today, and of veteran craftsmen who restored the city in post-war years and founded traditions of the Leningrad Restoration School.
St.Petersburg is one of the few cities in Europe which preserved its historical buildings in the original look. Distinctive charm of the city creates a combination of wonderful architecture and special natural environment. Spaciousness of avenues, embankments and squares has something in common with wideness of the Neva and its tributaries. Distinct planning based on Renaissance traditions, a great number of architectural ensembles and historical monuments create a harmony of simplicity and grandeur in city’s perception.
The exhibition will be held at one of the best venues in the historical center of St.Petersburg – Russian Ethnographic Museum.
The Exhibition is carried out by the Committee of State Control, Using and Protection of Historical Monuments of St.Petersburg, the Committee of Construction of St.Petersburg and RESTEC Exhibition Company with support of the Committee of Construction of St.Petersburg and St.Petersburg Architects’ Union.
The main goal of the Exhibition is to demonstrate new architectural solutions of buildings and edifices of different purposes, modern methods of projecting, reconstruction and restoration of historical and cultural monuments, rehabilitation of sculptures from stone, plaster, bronze and metaldecor, achievements of modern design in landscaping, new technologies of construction and manufacturing of high quality constructional and finishing materials. A special attention at the exhibition is paid to problems of restoration of unique architectural legacy and up-to-date restoration technologies.
Companies from St.Petersburg, Moscow, Kaluga, Samara, Izhevsk, Irkutsk, Chelyabinsk, Tomsk, Vladivostok, as well as from such countries as Germany, Poland, and Croatia participated in previous exhibitions held since 2000. Among the participants there were such companies and organizations as St.Petersburg Union of Restorers uniting more than 30 restoration companies, St.Petersburg Union of Architects, Academy of Architectural Legacy, State Russian Museum, Central Scientific and Restoration Project Studios of Ministry of Culture of RF, St.Petersburg restoration vocational school and many others.
Within the framework of the Exhibition St.Petersburg Union of Architects holds 7th contest of architectural projects and constructions "Architecton".
The central place among the exhibition related events is traditionally occupied by the conference dedicated to exploitation of domestic and world experience of preservation of architectural legacy in current conditions of cities’ development.
Every year the exhibition is very popular not just among the specialists but also among citizens and guests of St.Petersburg. Business contacts of leading construction and restoration companies, new ideas of architectural ensembles, feeling of touching the beautiful – these all are the results of the exhibition.
Tsarskoye Selo State Museum Preserve took part in this year’s exhibit. Their stand provided visitors with the restoration achievements of companies like the Tsarskoye Selo Amber Workshop and Geoizol at the Agate Rooms and Cold Bath pavilion which are expected to reopen this autumn, at the Hanging Garden which was returned its original look, and at the cellars of the Alexander Palace.
They highlighted painting restoration, describing two pictures from the museum collection – A Night View of Istanbul by Ivan Aivazovsky and Napoleon’s Army entering Munich on 24 October 1805 by François Dubois, the latter restored by OOO Resstroy and presented at one of our last year’s exhibitions, Alexander I and Napoleon: Peace before War.
Tsaritsyno Hosts New Exhibition: The Great Ball Topic: Exhibitions
On June 28th, the Tsaritsyno State Museum-Reserve in Moscow opened a large-scale exhibition project The Great Ball.
This unique exhibit presents to the public a special phenomenon in the history of Russian society in the 18th- early 20th centuries. It shows the strictly regulated ceremonials, music and dance, special demeanor and unique-point fashion of the magnificent balls that catered to Imperial Russia's aristocracy and nobility. The exhibition acquaints visitors with the most striking images of balls of the past centuries, and the most interesting episodes from its 300-year history in Russia, including an image of the ball on the theatrical stage and in 20th century cinema.
The special atmosphere of the exhibit recreates ancient artifacts, costumes and accessories; excellent paintings, bright posters, images from fashion magazines and literary texts, along with their commentary.
Rare ballroom scenes help to experience the daily life of thost who participated in the Russian ball. Learn who they were, which outfits they wore, what they ate and drank at balls, which dances were performed and, finally, as embodied poetic myth, The Russian Ball in art - on the stage of the Bolshoi Theatre.
One of the most interesting and surprising on the content of the sections - The Ball on Stage at the Bolshoi theatre in the early 20th century. It includes paintings and graphic sketches of costumes and scenery, theatrical costumes created by noteable designers of the time.
A special place at the exhibition is given to the Masquerade. Here are exhibited and sketches for the play Masquerade by M. Lermontov, and masquerade costumes of the 19th century, and a unique collection of masquerade ball posters of the late 19th - early 20th centuries.
One of the Central sections of the exposition provides a collective image of the ball as a glittering holiday. There are dresses, a collection of ballroom shoes, fans, bags and other elegant ballroom accessories, musical instruments and notes from personal collections of members of the Imperial House of Romanov.
Undoubtedly, the main section of the exhibition is devoted to the Imperial Balls. The ceremonial celebrations of the 19th - beginning of the 20th centuries are explored including those dedicated to the Coronation balls given by Emperors Alexander II and Nicholas II, and also the famous 1903 fancy dress ball in the Winter Palace, where all the guests were dressed in the era of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich.
The Great Ball Exhibition includes more than 460 items from 10 museums in Moscow and St. Petersburg. The main partners of the GMZ «Tsaritsyno» within the organization of the exhibition are the Moscow Ostankino Estate Museum and the Museum of the Bolshoi National Theater. Among the participants of the project - the Russian State Library, the State Tretyakov Gallery, State Russian Museum, the State Central Theater Museum. A.A. Bakhrushin Museum of History of St. Petersburg, the Museum of Musical Culture, M.I. Glinka Museum, V.A. Tropinin Museum, as well as famous Moscow collectors.
The exhibition will be open until October 13, 2013.
Exuberance of Meaning: The Art Patronage of Catherine the Great Topic: Exhibitions
Photo: Round Box with Catherine II as Minerva. Credit: Hillwood Museum
The Georgia Museum of Art at the University of Georgia will present the exhibition Exuberance of Meaning: The Art Patronage of Catherine the Great (1762-1796), from September 21, 2013, to January 5, 2014.
The exhibit features more than 30 works of art and books, most of which Catherine the Great commissioned for her own use or for the courtiers who received them as gifts. Other objects in the exhibition serve as examples of historic precedents for the empress' choices or represent major currents in the history of Russian art of the 17th and 18th centuries. The exhibition presents a comparison of dazzling and masterful objects that exemplify both medieval Byzantine culture, of which Russia was the successor and guardian, and the Western, neoclassical style that was the hallmark of the Enlightenment. The exhibition and publications contribute to the current knowledge of patronage in 18th-century Russia and to an understanding of the role of Byzantine culture in Russia's history up to the era of neoclassicism.
New Coins Dedicated to Emperor Alexander III Topic: Collectibles
The Russian bank Sberbank has received a set of three silver coins dedicated to Emperor Alexander III (1845-1894), minted in Fiji.
The first coin (left) features a portrait of Alexander III. The second coin (center) features the ceremony of the coronation of Emperor Alexander III and Empress Maria Feodorovna at Moscow on 27th May, 1883. The third coin (right) features a portrait of Emperor Alexander III with his family (Empress Maria Feodorovna, Tsesarevich Nicholas Alexandrovich (future Emperor Nicholas II), Grand Dukes George and Michael Alexandrovich, and Grand Duchess Xenia and Olga Alexandrovna).
Each portrait is in colour and supplemented with a symbol of power: orb, crown and scepter respectively. Sberbank of Russia are offering the sets for 12,600 rubles ($385 USD).
Christ the Saviour Cathedral Marks 130 Years: A Video History Now Playing: Language: English. Duration: 2 minutes, 31 seconds Topic: Russian Church
The original Christ the Saviour Cathedral was consecrated 130 years ago, on June 8, 1883. Since then, it has been blown to bits, replaced by a swimming pool, rebuilt and, most recently, at the epicentre of the controversial performance by activist punk rockers Pussy Riot. Here is that story told through archival footage.
Russian-Dutch Historical Exhibition Opens in Moscow Topic: Exhibitions
The exhibition “Russia and The Netherlands: Interaction Space”, opened at the State Historical Museum, brings visitors into an 18th-century atmosphere: old naval maps, models of ships and Russian and Dutch flags in the same red-white-and-blue colors.
The Russia-Netherlands exhibition at the State Historical Museum plunges its visitors into an 18th-century atmosphere: old music, models of ships and men-of-war, and Russian and Dutch banners in the same red-white-and-blue colors.
The Russia-Netherlands ship enshrines all the relics of 300 years of close ties, which were only severed once before the 20th century – on account of Napoleon.
Peter the Great was a new-age ruler for Russia. His first visit as czar, which was dubbed the “Grand Embassy,” was paid to The Netherlands in 1697 – the first one in so many respects.
He admired the country so much that Russia actually remained guided and inspired by its example for decades afterward.
The main mission of the Grand Embassy was to get to the bottom of the shipbuilding secrets and experience of the Dutch seafaring nation.
Peter was the first to become a student of the Dutch masters and built the first ships himself. The czar's first handmade piece – the little boat Fortuna – is still on display in a museum in the ancient town of Pereslavl-Zalessky.
The exhibition's first hall features souvenirs from the Grand Embassy: Peter's waistcoat made of Dutch fabric, his portrait by Dutch painter Godfried Schalken, parts of the ships that were in his first fleet and pictures capturing the triumphant arrival.
Inspired by what he had seen on his journey, the czar was almost obsessed with the Dutch ways. Peter decreed that all young men not yet enrolled in any service were to go to Holland to learn the German and Dutch languages and, in particular, to study shipbuilding.
Simultaneously, the Dutch, who enjoyed the czar’s special favor, flocked to Russia and were showered with privileges. They helped chart the first naval maps (the exhibition actually features one such map of the Sea of Azov). It also prominently features the first reference to Peter as “emperor.”
Another symbolic exhibit on display is a map of ancient Amsterdam – the city in whose image and likeness the new Russian capital of St. Petersburg was built.
One whole stand at the exhibition illustrates the life of Nicholas Bidloo – a Dutch doctor and anatomist who moved to Moscow. He made history in Russian medicine by bringing it to a whole new level and founding the first hospital in Moscow.
The hospital, which has a medical school attached to it, is now named after Burdenko and is one of the city's best medical institutions.
Thus, The Netherlands actually had an influence over a vast range of areas of life and science – from urban planning and shipbuilding, to cartography and medicine, even to the fine arts and, finally, everyday life.
An etching made by the emperor under the supervision of the Dutch master Adrian Schonebeck might surprise the less-prepared. It features a subject popular at the time: the triumph of Christianity over Islam.
Even the trade in folk art felt the Dutch impact. Gzhel ceramics and majolica – two crafts thought to be original Russian folk arts – are actually a fraud, as is confirmed by painted vases and plates featured at the exhibition.
In addition to everything else, Dutch ovens patterned with Dutch ceramic tiles were a symbol of luxury in Russian manors. The ceramics were later painted in a Russian style, with typical story lines and patterns.
The love of anything Dutch is manifest in one of Russia's most refined country estates – Kuskovo, the Moscow estate of Count Sheremetev. The Dutch House that is part of the ensemble prominently features all the typical elements of the Dutch tradition.
Peter the Great granted unprecedented privileges to the Dutch merchant Jan Tesing to import books to Russia. The exhibition also boasts a book (“Aesop's Fables”) printed at Tesing's printing shop.
In addition, there is a hall dedicated to what Russia looked like in the eyes of the Dutch travelers. Their stories were the only source of information about a country deemed remote and barbaric by the rest of Europe.
Travelers used to bring shaman's costumes and various other artifacts from Siberia, for example.
Two engraved books from the time are even available in digital format: “A Journey across Moscovia to Persia and India” by Cornelis de Bruijn, and “Three unforgettable journeys through Italy, Greece, Livonia, Moscovia and other countries” by Jan Jansen Struys.
The latter is more important, owing to its influence even on contemporary ethnographers and historians.
Many Dutchmen who came to Russia back then remained in the country and were granted citizenship. For instance, Franz Devollant built 12 ports and cities across Russia and founded Odessa on the orders of Catherine II.
In 1813, Russians helped the Dutch win their independence from Napoleon, and the two nations later reaffirmed their union with the marriage of the Prince of Orange and Anna Pavlovna (sister of the two Russian emperors Alexander I and Nikolai I).
The exhibition at the Historical Museum has already brought together over 4,000 exhibits from 14 Russian museums and 13 Dutch collections, including the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, the Maritime Museum of Rotterdam, the Central Museum of Utrecht and others.
“The exposition's main idea is to reveal the deep historical relations between the countries and tell the public about the times when Holland used to be Russia's major trading partner and investor,” supervisor of the exhibition, Vladimir Bulatov, told the Culture TV channel.
The World's Most Beautiful Eggs: The Genius Of Carl Faberge Now Playing: Language: English. Duration: 57 minutes, 56 seconds Topic: Faberge
Note: the user who originally posted this Faberge documentary on YouTube has now removed it. However, it can now be viewed at the following link: The World's Most Beautiful Eggs: The Genius Of Carl Faberge. Note: Click on the button that says 'Continue as Free User' to view the documentary. Special thanks to Bob Curry for bringing this new link to my attention.
Stephen Smith explores the extraordinary life and work of the virtuoso jeweller Carl Faberge. He talks to HRH Prince Michael of Kent about Faberge items in the Royal Collection and to Russian billionaire Viktor Vekselberg, who spent 100 million dollars acquiring nine exquisite Faberge eggs. The bejewelled trinkets Faberge made for the last tsars of Russia in the twilight of their rule have become some of the most sought-after treasures in the world, sometimes worth millions. Smith follows in Faberge's footsteps, from the legendary Green Vaults in Dresden to the palaces of the tsars and the corridors of the Kremlin museum, as he discovers how this fin de siècle genius transformed his father's modest business into the world's most famous supplier of luxury items.