Faberge Reigns Supreme at Sotheby's Auction Topic: Faberge
Photo credit: Sotheby's
The April 16th Sotheby's (New York) auction of Russian works of art which included numerous pieces of Faberge brought in over $5.6 million.
The centerpiece of the Russian portion of the sale is a Rare and Important Fabergé Jewelled Gold, Nephrite, and Translucent Enamel Imperial Presentation Table Portrait by Workmaster Henrik Wigström with a miniature by Vasilii Zuev (St. Petersburg, 1909). In Imperial Russia, the diamond-studded portrait of the emperor was the most prestigious award that could be bestowed and this extraordinary piece is one of the few remaining in private hands. This piece sold above the high estimate at $413,000.
A portrait of Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna entitled The Nun by the Russian artist Mitrofanov
An exhibition dedicated to the 400th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty has opened at the Orel Regional Museum in the Russian city of Orel which is situated approximately 360 km (220 miles) southwest of Moscow.
According to museum director Andrew Minakova, the uniqueness of the exhibition is that is it presents items stored in the collections of various institutions for the first time - museums, archives and libraries. On display are portraits of the Romanov monarchs and their families, lithographs, paintings, medallions and rare photos and prints, albums and magazines, and a coronation album.
Of particular interest are the original autographs of Grand Duke Mikhail Alexandrovich, who owned land in the region, and the Grand Duke Konstantin Konstantinovich, known in the literature as the poet KR.
In addition, a portrait of Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna entitled The Nun, by the Russian artist Mitrofanov. The portrait comes from the collection of the Turgenev Museum and the current Romanov exhibit marks the first time that the portrait has been put on public display.
On Saturday, the Russian enamel auction house auctioned more than 200 historical relics linked with the Romanov dynasty. The items are paintings, art drawings, bronze, porcelain and glass artworks as well as pieces of furniture which surrounded the representative of the Russian czar family.
It is remarkable that the items are auctioned in line with chronological order tracing the history of the Romanov house.The first item, which is a lithograph with watercolor depicts the enthronement of czar Mikhail Fyodorovich, the founder of the Romanov dynasty. The lithograph was made by Antonina Vestfalen-Kulakova, a student of the famous Russian artist and philosopher Nicolai Rerich, in 1913. The portrait of Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna, the spouse of the last Russian Emperor Nicolas II, pained by Yakov Veber, is one of the last items of the auction.
Among the most expensive items are paintings by outstanding Russian artists Vasily Polenov, Vladimir Makovsky, Clavdy Lebedev, a unique table from the époque of Catherine II, items of imperial dinner sets.
But there are also less expensive engravings, drawings and photo albums. That means that the auction grants opportunity to collectors with different budgets to supplement their collections. The price range varies between $100 and $400,000. This is our strategy, Vladimir Labazov, head of the auction house says.
"Our company always focusing on collection items which are probably not the most expensive but which are unique. The Russian enamel auction targets first of all collectors not investors. All our buyers are Russian citizens because it is prohibited to move antique trade items out of the country".
The historical auctions organized by the Russian enamel auction house are new event on the Russian antique trade market. But already the first one which was held in February and was dedicated to the 1812 war against Napoleon gathered an unprecedented number of collectors. Russian collectors are no longer those dilatants they were in 1990s, Anastasia Degtyareva an art gallery curator, says.
"The average Russian collector has changed. Now these are people who often can communicate with professionals on equal terms. I think that the Russian market is becoming more complicated and differentiated. Instead of simply hunting for new items for their collections collectors are interested in developing their collections".
Russian collectors begin to grant items from the collections for big museum exhibitions. Perhaps the portrait of Empress Maria Fyodorovna, which was bought at the auction of 400 years of the Romanov House, will soon be among the exhibits of the big exhibition of paintings by Vladimir Makovsky.
Smolny Cathedral to Be Transferred to Russian Orthodox Church Topic: Russian Church
The St. Petersburg Smolny Cathedral, which is a part of the museum complex of the St. Isaacs Cathedral State Memorial Museum, will be returned to the Russian Orthodox Church.
"The law on transfer of church property should be fulfilled and we are not against transfer of the cathedral," said Nikolay Burov, director of the complex. "We are already negotiating with the St. Petersburg metropolitanate of the Russian Orthodox Church about the return of the church, in which regular church services have been already carried out since 2010.
"Besides, it is necessary to solve the problem of the placement of the chamber chorus of the Smolny Cathedral. The well-known collective regularly performs in the cathedral, and the city authorities should find a new permanent venue for it."
Beautiful Orthodox Churches of Russia No. 7 Topic: Beautiful Orthodox Churches
Situated just south of the Moscow Kremlin is the Holy Protection Cathedral at the Saints Martha and Mary Convent. Built between 1908 and 1912 by the Russian architect Aleksei Viktorovich Shchusev (1873-1949), is considered one of Russia's most remarkable examples of Art Nouveau style.
It is interesting to note that Shchusev also built the Lenin Mausoleum which houses the mummified remains of Bolshevik leader Vladimir Lenin.
The frescoes and icons of the church are the work of painter Mikhail Nesterov
The frescoes and icons of the church are the work of painter Mikhail Nesterov, a protogé of the railway tycoon Savva Mamontov. Nesterov's works are noted for their lyrical colours, beautiful design and the accessible saintliness of the personage he depicts on his icons and frescoes.
The sisterhood of Saints Martha and Mary was founded in 1905 by the Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna, the sister of the last Russian empress, Alexandra Feodorovna. When her husband Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich was killed by a terrorist bomb, the widowed Grand Duchess organized the semi-monastic order called the Sisters of Charity and devoted the rest of her life to aiding the sick and the wounded. On July 1918 she was murdered at Alapaevsk, along with other members of the Russian Imperial family.
In 1922 the Bolsheviks removed valuable gold and silver objects such as ikon oklads, rizas, gospel covers, crosses and other ecclesiastical and liturgical objects.
In 1926, the smaller Church of SS Martha & Mary was closed, though the remaining nuns were able to remove over 200 icons and the “royal doors” from the cathedral by moving them to the Holy Protection Cathedral. Shortly after this, the order was officially disbanded, and eighteen of the remaining nuns were exiled to Turkestan in Central Asia.
In 1928, both churches were finally closed, looted, pillaged, and desecrated. The frescos by Nesterov were covered and the church was turned into a movie theater. From 1945, the Church was used by the Grabar Institute as an icon and painting restoration studio.
In 1992 the celebration of divine services was resumed in the Church of Martha and Mary, and in 1994 the sisterhood was re-established.
In 1999 the Educational Center of the SS Martha and Mary Convent of Mercy was founded, with the blessings of Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia (1929-2008), for the purpose of training Orthodox girls as certified nurses.
The Holy Protection Cathedral was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church in 2006. It has undergone restoration and now holds regular services.
The gates of the Martha and Mary Convent
The Martha and Mary Convent is situated at Ulitsa Bolshaya Ordynka, 34 and is open to worshippers and visitors. In 1990, a monument to the Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna was erected in the courtyard and can be seen to this day.
ROC Urges Dialogue on Restoration of Monarchy in Russia Topic: Russian Monarchy
The Head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin
In an interview with RIA Novosti (April 4th, 2013), theHead of the Synodal Department for Church and Society, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin said, when asked the question: "In the Orthodox community we often hear the opinion that the best policitical system for Russia is the monarchy. Would you agree with this view, that is it possible, in principle, for a revival of the monarchy in Russia? "
"I would not rule out anything. In the "Basics of the Social Concept of the Russian Orthodox Church" refers to the possibility of a spiritual revival of society that would allow the transition to a more religiously rooted form of government, one that would include the monarchy. A more religiously rooted form of government is far better form of government than that of a republic. But I would caution against any artificially imposed monarchy, without the willingness of the Russian people, especially the spiritual readiness. This revival would be wrong - and that in itself would devalue and weaken the monarchical idea.
"Moreover, I know that there are some political and technological scenarios, developed by external forces to Russia, which suggest a monarchy under the strict control of foreign - as an option for Russia's subordination to such controls. I am afraid that this "revival" is not accepted by our people and unlikely to favor Russia.
"In general, the debate on this subject should be avoided. However, let the Russian people discuss, argue for and against, and most importantly, let them weight the pros and cons that have taken place during the monarchical history of Russia."
Two vases produced at the Russian Imperial Porcelain Factory in the 19th century have been sold in the United States for $2.7 million, a report posted on Dallas Auction Gallery’s website says, Voice of Russia reports.
The vases, dated 1833, were acquired by a private collector who asked not to be named.
Before that, they were part of a private collection of American oil tycoon Franco Battram, who bought them at an auction in Munich in the early 20th century.
Battram’s descendants decided to put the vases up for auction after their authenticity was established and confirmed by experts.
Archive of Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich Moves to Tsarskoye Selo Topic: Tsarskoye Selo
Tsarskoye Selo’s collection of items from the American descendants of Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich is to be increased with over 100 photographs, letters, dozens of books, and paintings and portraits of close relatives to the Tsar’s family.
The generous gift is from Michael Romanoff Ilyinsky who has made another generous donation of items related to his grandfather, Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich Romanov, the grandson of Emperor Alexander II and cousin of Emperor Nicholas II.
The handover ceremony, timed to celebrations of the 400th anniversary of the Romanov Dynasty, has taken place in New York. The Act of Donation was signed by Mr. Romanoff Ilyinsky and Consul General Mr. Igor Golubovsky of the Russian Federation.
The archive and other items, including the portraits of Grand Duke Dmitri (see above left) and Grand Duchess Elizaveta Fiodorovna (above right), will join our exhibition The Romanovs: From Tsarskoye Selo to Cincinnati, which will run at the Zubov Wing of the Catherine Palace from July 17th to September 30th, 2013.
The exhibition will highlight Grand Duke Dmitri. He is known to have had to leave Russia after the assassination of Rasputin in December 1916 and move to Persia; there he was in military service and then learned of the 1917 revolution. Afterwards Dmitri lived in London, Paris and Davos where he died in 1942.At the exhibition, that period of his life will be reflected in numerous photographs taken by the Grand Duke and in his “home videos” of the 1920s–1930s.
As Mr. Romanoff Ilyinsky said in New York, “The items I am handing over to the Museum are the personal belongings and materials related to the life of my grandfather, Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich. These are only part of the family archive. The remainder will gradually return to Russia. It’s a common decision of Dmitri’s descendants.”
French Cathedral Declared Russian Property Topic: Russian Church
A French Court has ruled that one of the country's largest cathedrals is actually the property of Russia as it was paid for by Tsar Nicholas II.
France’s Court of Cassation has upheld Russia’s ownership of St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Nice, thus making the final decision over a seven-year dispute, AFP reports on Thursday.
In 2010, the Nice Superior Court declared Russia to be the rightful owner of St. Nicholas Orthodox Cathedral, dismissing a claim by the Russian Orthodox Association of Nice (ACOR), which had managed the church for over 80 years.
The ACOR filed an appeal with a court in the French city of Aix-en-Provence and refused to vacate the church. In May 2011, the court ruled in Russia’s favor and the ACOR representatives had to give up the keys and leave, but they filed a second appeal with a higher court.
The Court of Cassation has made the case final.
St. Nicholas Cathedral, the largest Russian Orthodox Cathedral outside Russia, was built in 1912 in Nice and opened by Tsar Nicholas II, who had funded the construction, in the same place where his uncle, Grand Duke Nicholas Alexandrovich died in 1865. The land on which the church was built had been purchased by Alexander II. In the 1920s, the church came under ACOR management, however their lease to the church expired on December 31 2007.
In 2006, Russia decided to retrieve its property and filed a lawsuit to this aim. The church is a popular tourist attraction with up to 150,000 people visiting it annually, according to the French media.
A new exhibition, being held in the Assumption Belfry, incorporates outstanding artworks from the Moscow Kremlin Museums’ collection, that have passed through the hands of restorers over the last ten - fifteen years. The exposition serves as a representation of the profound research and scientific work, being carrying out in the museum but still staying a veiled mystery to our visitors.
Ninety five XIVth-XXth century masterpieces, made from various materials and finished with various techniques, are exposed at the exhibition. The museums’ specialists, having mastered to perfection the art of restoration, successfully employ current technologies and innovations in the restoration industry and show an exquisite workmanship in renovating artworks and historical artifacts. Their diligence and proficiency gave us an opportunity to admire the beauty and splendour of the restored items therefore to learn more about our past.
The exhibition runs until August 11th, 2013 in the Assumption Belfry of the Moscow Kremlin.