Now Playing: Language: Russian. Duration: 2 minutes, 55 seconds
Topic: Tsarskoye Selo
One of a pair of richly inlaid tables, commissioned by the Empress Catherine II for the Cold Bath’s Agate Cabinet at the Catherine Palace in the 1790s, is now back at the museum thanks to support from Russia’s Ministry of Culture.
Supposedly made at a workshop of St Petersburg’s top cabinetmaker Christian Meyer, the two tables left Tsarskoye Selo in the late 1920s to be sold at the Lepke Auction in Berlin in 1931.
The location of one of the tables is still yet unknown. While the other one, still bearing the Tsarskoye Selo inventory numbers, was auctioned by Sotheby’s, New York, in May 2009. Not sold then, it was later offered to our museum for USD 250,000, which sum was provided by the Ministry.
The recovered piece will return to its historical place of display in the Agate Rooms after the pavilion’s expected restoration in autumn 2013.
© Tsarskoye Selo Palace Museum-Preserve. 16 August, 2012