Topic: Tsarskoye Selo
The 12.35-meter-long and 0.8-meter- wide bridge to span the Krestovy Canal near its corner between the Ozerki and Kitchen Ponds was produced in 1825 at the Alexandrovsky Foundry to the design of the architect Adam Menelaws, who a year later supervised its installation in the Alexander Park.
The bridge of the suspension type, that was fashionable all over the world in the 1810s-1820s, had a wood-planked footway and the openwork cast-iron cantilevers on granite abutments holding earth-anchored metal cables. Initially of white colour, the bridge was painted green since the mid-twentieth century and then pale or dark gray after 1981.
Demolished during the Second World War and reconstructed in 1949, the Shaking Bridge underwent major restoration works in 1962-63 and later in 1970. The bridge had to be dismantled in 2002 as its condition was causing serious concern.
A renovated Shaking Bridge is expected to span the Krestovy Canal again in April 2012, thanks to the efforts by the scientific restoration center specialist whose accomplishments at Tsarskoye Selo include the Small Chinese Bridges in the Alexander Park and Giacomo Quarenghi’s bridges near the Kitchen Ruin and Creaking Summer-House in the Catherine Park.
© Tsarskoye Selo State Museum-Preserve. 07 March, 2012