In the Children's Rooms at the Alexander Palace Exhibit Extended Topic: Alexander Palace
The exhibit, In the Children's Rooms at the Alexander Palace has been extended until 30th April, 2012.
The exhibit which originally opened in June 2011 is set out in the former rooms of the children of Tsar Nicholas II on the second floor of the Alexander Palace.
The exhibit tells the story of the lives of the Grand Duchesses Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia, as well as the Tsarevich Alexei, and includes more than 200 items, many being exhibited for the first time.
The Imperial Train in the Grand Duchy of Finland Now Playing: Language: Finnish. Duration: 2 minutes, 16 seconds
The highlight of the Finnish Railway Museum collections is the special train built for the Russian Emperor. The train was built for the Emperor's and Grand Duke's of Finland trips to Finland, an autonomic part of Russia at the time. The train consists of three wagons, Emperor's car, Empress's car and the lounge car. The three wagons are the only remaining Russian Imperial train cars in the world.
The decision to acquire imperial wagons was made in 1869, at the time of building of the railway line Riihimäki - St. Petersburg. The Emperor, Alexander the II, had already imperial wagons in other parts of the country and it was considered necessary to have such rolling stock for Finland also. The railway line connecting Finland to St. Petersburg was opened in 1870, but it was not until 1913 when the railway networks of the two countries were finally connected when the bridge over Neva-river was finished.
Originally the Imperial train consisted of six wagons. However, train's dining car, kitchen unit car and the heating car did not survive to our days. The oldest cat of the train is the Emperor's car which was built in Germany in 1870. The interior of the car was decorated with luxury materials. The walls and the furniture of the reception area of the car were covered with dark green leather, the ceiling is decorated with silk. Wooden decorations are made of American walnut tree and the carpeting is of wool plush.
The Empresses' car and the lounge car were built in 1870's in the Finnish Railway's repair shop in Helsinki. The decoration of the Empresses' car is blue silk and the lounge car and it's furniture are decorated with red silk. The outside of all the three cars was painted dark blue and decorated with golded imperial emblems. The cars were later modified and improved in many parts like in the heating system, illumination and the toilets.
The Imperial cars survived mainly for two reasons. They were built by the Finnish Railways and kept from 1914 in Kaipiainen train shed instead of earlier storage site in St. Petersburg. If the train had been left in town, it would have most certainly been destroyed during the Russian revolution in 1917 like happened to all other imperial trains in Russia.
Brasovo, the Country Estate of Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich
Situated seventy miles from Orel, the estate of Brasovo had originally belonged to the Grand Duke George Alexandrovich, son of the Emperor Alexander III. He had purchased it in 1882 for 4.3 million roubles. It covered some 430 square miles. The estate passed to Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich upon the death of George in 1899.
It was here that Michael came to live with his wife, Natasha (nee Natalya Sergeyevna Wulfert) in 1911 after Emperor Nicholas II conceded that she could stay there. Thanks to her artistic taste, she succeeded in making an elegant dwelling as well as a comfortable home, thereby creating for Michael a place where he found comfort, peace and happiness.
The comforts of this country house are emphasized in these beautiful watercolours by S.J. Zhukovsky (1873-1944) in 1916.
Artist: S.J. Zhukovsky. Orenburg Museum of Fine Arts
Artist: S.J. Zhukovsky. State Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow
On 29 October [Old Style 17 October] 1888, the Imperial train carrying Emperor Alexander III and his family derailed at high speed near the town of Borki. The train was travelling from the Crimea to St. Petersburg when the accident occurred, killing and injuring dozens of people.
Alexander held the collapsed roof of the rail car on his shoulder while his family escaped to safety. The story of the miraculous escape resulted in a cathedral being built near the site, but was later destroyed by the Soviets.
In 1992, local residents embarked on an ambitious fundraising plan to rebuild the chapel. With the help of the Southern Railway, reconstruction on the chapel was completed in the summer of 2003.
Local residents and Orthodox faithful are optimistic that the Christ the Saviour Cathedral will be rebuilt on the site of the demolished church.
Orthodox Christmas Mass in Russia's Major Cathedral Topic: Russian Church
More than 30,000 churches and cathedrals across Russia have held religious services as Russia is celebrating Orthodox Christmas. The Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, Kirill, has delivered the Christmas Eve Mass in the Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.