Topic: Alexander Palace
A porcelain cat that was once belonged to the Empress Alexandra Feodorovna has returned to the Alexander Palace.
The object was presented to the Empress as a Christmas gift in 1903, however, it disappeared after the 1917 Revolution. It was recently purchased at an auction in Moscow by the Tsarskoye Selo State Museum-Preserve.
The colour-glazed, almost life-size figure was produced in 1903, along with 3 other similar works by the St. Petersburg Imperial Porcelain Manufactory. They were sculpted by Ivan Zotov to the design of August Heinrich Timus, the manufacturers sculpture workshop manager who created a series of animal figures in the early 1900s.
The cat will once again join the growing porcelain collection of the Alexander Palace.
© Tsarskoye Selo State Museum-Preserve. 2 January, 2012