An auction of Russian art and antiques is to be held in the early part of June in St. Petersburg.
A special place in the auction will be held by a collection of icons which were made between the XVI and XX centuries.
One of the top lots will be a gift ring created in honor of the 300 year anniversary of the Romanov's workshop for Carl Faberge. The ring is made of gold with a silver lining in the form of a double-headed eagle.
In addition to the the previous items, painitings and antiques will be offered including tea and coffee services from the middle of the XIX century.
© The Voice of Russia. 21 April, 2011
The last official flag of Imperial Russia was white-blue-red with a black two-headed eagle on a yellow background in the upper left-hand corner; this combination symbolized the union of the Tsar and His people. It was created at the will of the last Emperor, Tsar-Martyr Emperor Nicholas II, during the First World War. The following excerpt from the journal Chronicles of War for the years 1914-15 describes this event:
"During these troubled times the sanctity of our nation's soul is upheld by a total and absolute union of its thoughts and feelings with those of the Tsar-Emperor.
That is why His Imperial Majesty has deemed it necessary to make this fact clearly evident before the whole world; from this day hence, as a sign of the strong union of an Orthodox Tsar and His faithful nation, in the Russian national flag, at the base (flagpole side), between the white and blue stripes (one quarter of the total length of both stripes) the Imperial Standard shall forever be placed (a black two-headed eagle on a gold background). This should be seen as a sign of love from the Tsar to all His people."
Chronicles of War, No. 4, for September 13, 1914, page 66
© Russian Imperial Union-Order. 18 April, 2011
The Vatican Museums have opened their doors to the beautiful works of Fabergé, the jeweler of the Romanov Court and European aristocracy. In an exhibition of 140 pieces from the best Russian jewelry in the past hundred years.
© Rome Reports. 18 April, 2011
An exhibition of Zhostovo trays has opened at the Tsaritsino Museum and Preserve in southeastern Moscow. About 400 one-of-a-kind trays painted in the famous Zhostovo style are on display.
The craft originated in the village of Zhostovo near Moscow. A local master, Osip Vishnyakov, organized decorative tray production there in the first half of the 19th century.
The initial patterns of tea-drinking, troika horse rides and landscapes were gradually replaced by easy-to-recognize bright floral design that became Zhostovo’s trademark.
© Voice of Russia. 18 April, 2011
Workers re-install the Samson fountain at Peterhof after restoration
The famous Samson statue has been restored and returned to the St. Petersburg suburb of Petershof, of which it has been the symbol for almost 300 years.
The statue was last restored in 1947. This time the statue was covered in a double layer of leaf gold, which will last it for more than 10 years.
© The Voice of Russia. 18 April, 2011
Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolayevna
The Tsarskoe Selo State Museum-Reserve and the St. Peter Line have signed an agreement of the mutual exchange of information and promotion between the two.
St. Peter Line is a major ferry line that recently launched their latest ship, Princess Anastasia, named in honour of the Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolayevna. It's maiden voyage between St. Petersburg and Stockholm took place on March 31st.
The ferry is currently hosting an exhibition dedicated to the youngest daughter of Emperor Nicholas II and Empess Alexandra Feodorovna. The exhibit offers passengers, both foreign and Russian, to learn about the life of the grand duchess, as well as that of the Alexander Palace. The palace was a favourite of the last Russian Imperial family up until 1917.
Plans are already underway for a future exhibition dedicated to the Dowager Empress Marie Feodorovna.
© Royal Russia. 8 April, 2011
After being out of print for nearly 20 years, a new edition of the memoirs of Grand Duchess Marie Georgievna is scheduled to be published this Fall, by Gilbert's Books (the publishing division of Royal Russia). Born a princess of Greece and Denmark, she married Grand Duke George Mikhailovich, who was shot by the Bolsheviks in 1919.
Prince David Chavchadze, and Alexandra L. Wynkoop, daughter of the late Nancy Leeds Wynkoop, who own the copyright to this book, have authorized Gilbert's Books to publish this new edition.
Gilbert's Books and Royal Russia are truly honoured to be a part of this publishing project, firmly believing that Grand Duchess George had a story to be kept alive.
© Royal Russia. 2 April, 2011
Preparations are underway for the first Easter service in the Sofia-Uspensky Cathedral in Tobolsk. After years of restoration, and decades of neglect, the magnificent church, located inside the historic Siberian city's Kremlin walls is considered one of the finest stone church's in Russia.
The cathedral was the first stone church to be built in Siberia. Restorations on the facade, that have lasted more than a decade are now coming to an end, and include repairs to the roof, strengthening of the walls and foundation, and crowned with a new gold-plated dome.
Once the scaffolding comes down inside the church, worshippers will be able to appreciate the beautifully restored frescoes and icons of the 17th century.
This year marks the 325th anniversary of the consecration of the cathedral, so it seems only fitting that the Tolbosk landmark be restored to its full glory.
© Royal Russia. 6 April, 2011
Many worshippers brought their children to kiss the icon
Hundreds of people lined up in Samara to venerate the miraculour Icon of Tsar-Martyr Nicholas II.
The icon is believed to stream fragrant myrrh, and answer the prayers of the Orthodox faithful.
The icon's home is the Church of St. Nicholas in Moscow, but is currently touring towns and cities of Russia. Several years ago, the icon was accompanied by priests and flown by helicopter across the expanse of Russia.
© Royal Russia. 5 April, 2011