September 21st marks the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Grand Palace at Livadia, situated three kilometers from Yalta in the Crimea.
To mark the occasion, the Crimea National Committee for the Protection of Cultural Heritage has proposed the creation of the Livadia Historical-Architectural Reserve. The newly created reserve would include the Grand Palace and adjacent buildings, including the palace of Count Fredericks, the Holy Cross Church, as well as the surrounding park which includes pavilions and fountains dating back to the tsarist period. The palace and park complex will occupy an area of approximately 37 hectares.
Vice-Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, Ekaterina Yurchenko recently met with the Ministry of Culture of Crimea to develop a plan of activities to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Livadia Palace. She also noted that a request has been made for funds for the complete restoration of the palace which would come from both government and private sources.
Livadia is recognized as a monument of great architectural and historical importance of the 19th-20th centuries. The palace was a favourite residence of Tsar Nicholas II and his family up until the outbreak of World War One. In 1925 the former Imperial palace was turned into a sanatorium for peasants, while in 1945 it served as the location of the Yalta Conference. In 1993 the palace received the official status as a museum. The proposed new status elevating Livadia to that of an historical and architectural reserve will allow for both government protection and funding.
© Paul Gilbert. 07 March, 2011