Restoration of the Marshall Chamber at Tsarskoye Selo Completed Now Playing: Language: Russian. Duration: 2 minutes, 57 seconds Topic: Tsarskoye Selo
St. Petersburg restorers have completed work on the Marshall Chamber, built more than 100 years ago for the exposition of Russia’s military history.
The Tsarskoye Selo State Museum Preserve will now initiate the preparatory work for the opening of Russia's only museum of the First World War later this year. The historic building was built specifically for the military collection assembled by the philanthropist widow Elena Tretyakova. In 1911 she presented to Emperor Nicholas II, a valuable collection of artefacts illustrating the military history of Russia since ancient times.
The Emperor decided to construct a building at Tsarskoye Selo to house the collection. However, the museum was short-lived, and closed shortly after the Revolution. And now, a century later the Marshall Chamber will be restored to its original function, as a museum dedicated to Russia’s military history, although its new concept will focus specifically on Russia’s role in World War One.
The building itself, established in the Neo-Russian style, is well preserved. The original frescoes and painting have miraculously survived in the interiors. The Marshall Chamber (Ratnaya Palata) is situated in the Alexander Park, just a short walk from the Alexander Palace and the Feodorovsky Cathedral. The official opening of the Museum of the Great War in the Marshall Chamber is scheduled for August 1, 2014 - the day marking the 100th anniversary of the First World War.
The following video (in Russian) shows the beautifully restored interiors of the Marshall Chamber (Ratnaya Palata), located in the Alexander Park at Tsarskoye Selo: