Included in this issue will be the following 8 full-length articles:
A Life of Servitude: Grand Duchess Alexandra Petrovna of Oldenburg
- Irene W. Galaktionova takes an in-depth look into the life of Grand Duchess Alexandra Petrovna (1838-1900), wife of the Grand Duke Nicholas Nikolayevich, Senior (1831-1891), and the mother of the Grand Dukes Nicholas Nikolayevich, Junior (1856-1929), and Peter Nikolayevich (1864-1931). After the breakup of her marriage, she retired from Court life to become a nun in 1889. Alexandra Petrovna died at Pokrov of Our Lady Monastery in Kiev on 25 April [O.S. 13 April] 1900, when she was 61.
Finland Under the Tsars. An Uneasy Relationship
- Coryne Hall writes about the association between the Tsars of Russia and Finland from the reign of Alexander I to Nicholas II, with particular emphasis on the visits the Tsars paid there (both official and on their holidays).
My Russia: The Petrovsky Travelling Palace, Moscow
- Paul Gilbert writes about the history of the Petrovsky Travelling Palace in Moscow. The palace has a fascinating history as the final stop for Russia’s sovereigns before their entry into Moscow for their coronations. Seven emperors and empresses of Russia (Catherine II to Nicholas II) stayed here, and one unwelcome emperor of France, Napoleon Bonaparte in 1812. Contemporary notes on the restoration of the palace are based on the author’s recent visit to the palace in October 2013. Richly illustrated with photographs by Paul Gilbert.
Remnants of Empire: The Estates of Russia and What Became of Them
- Jason Grant writes about the history and fate of the country retreats of Russia’s aristocracy, and includes many of his own photographs.
The Lilacs of Tsarskoye Selo
- Ekaterina Eparinova offers a charming history of the lilac at Tsarskoye Selo, the favourite bloom of the last Russian empress, Alexandra Feodorovna.
Hostages to Political Games: Did Lenin Order the Execution of the Royal Family?
- An interview with Vladimir Soloviev, Chief Major Crimes Investigator for the CID of the Public Prosecution Office of the Russian Federation
The Fall of the Romanovs
- by HRH Viktoria Luise, Princess of Prussia
The Departure of an Empress
- by Countess Yekaterina Petrovna Kleinmichel
Royal Russia Annual No. 5 will also include 2 collections of rare and vintage photographs:
Frozen in Time featuring photographic memories of the Russian Imperial family
The Lost World of Imperial Russia featuring vintage photographs of Imperial Russia before the Revolution
Royal Russia Annual No. 5 (Winter 2014) will be available in February 2014. Watch for our advertisements in upcoming issues of Majesty and Russian Life magazines.
Please NOTE that we are NOT accepting any pre-orders for this title at this time.
© Gilbert's Books. 01 January, 2014