Queen Margrethe of Denmark attends the gala opening at the Museum of National History, Frederiksborg Castle
Denmark and the Russian Empire in 1600 - 1900, an exhibition devoted to Russian-Danish relations opens today at the Museum of National History in the town of Hillerød, 40 kilometers from the Danish capital.
In the halls of Frederiksborg Castle can be seen table silver from the Moscow Kremlin - derived from the collection of ambassadorial gifts of the Armoury Chamber, they had been delivered to Russia as a part of a dowry by the son of King Christian IV, Valdemar Christian, for his marriage to the daughter of the Russian Tsar. Here are also portraits of the Empress Catherine the Great, by the Danish artist Vigilius Eriksen (1779) and the Empress Maria Feodorovna, born Danish Princess Dagmar, created by the Russian painter Alexei Korzuhin (1885).
Presented are the elegant ballroom toilette of Maria Feodorovna, among them - a gorgeous dress by the famous Parisian couturier, Charles Frederick Worth. The exhibition also features a silver cup with a diameter of about one meter, created by the famous jeweller to the Russian Court, Carl Faberge, which was a gift of Alexander III and Maria Feodorovna to her parents - King Christian IX and Queen Louise, on the occasion of their golden wedding anniversary.
The exhibition tells about the arrival of Peter I in Denmark in 1716, about his stay in the country from 1780 until the beginning of the nineteenth century, the last descendants of the extinct "Brunswick" branch of Tsar Ivan Alexeyevich and, of course, about the daily life of Maria Feodorovna that 19-year-old Danish princess came to Russia in 1866 to marry the heir to the Russian throne, and after the revolution of 1917 was forced to return to her homeland.
"Few countries can match the Russian imperial style of luxury and splendour," - said in a press release, the exhibition, which has been four years in the making. During its preparation, the Danish Museum staff visited four times in Russia. Some of the exhibits provided by the Kremlin Museums, and the Pavlovsk Museum-Reserve and the Tsarskoye Selo State Museum Preserve, whose directors attended the gala opening . Other items belong to Danish museums, archives and private collections, as well as the Danish Royal Family.
The opening ceremony was attended by Queen Margrethe of Denmark, who flew in from the south of France where she is currently vacationing.
"Russian-Danish relations which span more than five centuries, has always been based on the principles of friendship, respect and mutually beneficial cooperation, - noted Mikhail Vanin, Russian Ambassador to Denmark. - It is no small measure the close links between the Imperial House of Romanov, which marks its 400th anniversary in 2013, and the Danish royal family. This is why the exhibition, devoted to the relations between the two countries, this year is especially important. "
The exhibition opens to the public on August 30 and will run until December 1, 2013.
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 30 August, 2013