Topic: Maria Alexandrovna
A monument to the Empress Maria Alexandrovna – the consort of Emperor Alexander II – has been unveiled in Mariinsky Posad, a town named after the popular Russian empress.
Mariinsky Posad is a beautiful town situated on the banks of the Volga River in the Chuvash Republic (situated in the center of European Russia). Originally founded in 1620 as the village of Sundyr, its name was changed to Mariinsky Posad on June 18, 1856 by the Russian tsar in honour of his beloved wife, Maria.
The monument has been erected in Naberezhnaya Street, in the historical part of the town, which is known for its ensemble of monuments of history and architecture. The creator of the sculpture, Ivan Zelenkov personally approved of the spot.
Empress Maria Alexandrovna devoted her life to serving the Russian people. She founded and funded numerous charitable institutions, the Mariinsky schools and educational institutions, opened the first branch of the Red Cross in Russia and several military hospitals during the Russian-Turkish war. She also founded many orphanages, hospices and hostels, gave birth to female education in Russia, opened a women's gymnasium. Her name to this day is a symbol of goodness, mercy and compassion.
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 14 August, 2013