Topic: Tsarskoye Selo
Detskoye Selo Railway Station at Pushkin. Photo Credit: Pushkin.ru
A resolution has been signed in the city of Pushkin to restore the historical name of the city's main railway station to "Tsarskoye Selo". The central and largest railway station in Pushkin was originally opened in 1837, connecting Tsarskoye Selo with St. Petersburg. After the Revolution, the name of the town and its railway station were changed to Detskoye Selo (Children's Village). The town's name was changed again in 1937 to Pushkin, in honour of the great Russian poet. Despite this, however, the main railway station's name remained Detskoye Selo to this day. It was hoped that the restoration of the station's historical name would be reached prior to the 300th anniversary of Tsarskoye Selo in 2010, however, the decision was further delayed by special interest groups in Pushkin. The resolution was signed into effect this past week by Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
It is important to note that this is not the railway station in which the last tsar and his family were sent into exile from in August 1917. Tsar Nicholas II and his family departed Tsarskoye Selo from the Alexandrovskaya Station, which is situated on the other side of the city, not far from the Alexander Palace.
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 09 August, 2013