On July 12th, a liturgy in honour of the Saints Peter and Paul was held at the church of the Grand Palace at Peterhof. The service was conducted by Bishop Markell of Peterhof.
At the end of the liturgy the Bishop spoke about the importance of the event and thanked Elena Kalnitsky, Director General of the Peterhof Palace Museum Preserve. He thanked her for the opportunity to conduct the service in the church and for her work in the restoration of the historical monument. Kalnitsky replied that she hoped that the service would be held annually.
After years of restoration, the church was reopened as a museum on July 12th, 2011.
The SS Peter and Paul Church was built by the architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli on the orders of the Empress Elizabeth (1709-1762). The church was consecrated in 1751 abd became one of the main venues of celebrations for the Russian Imperial family, including birthdays, name days, baptisms, and marriages.
For more information on the restoration of the SS Peter and Paul Church at Peterhof, please refer to the following page on our web site;
||| Peterhof: Restoration of Palace Church Nears Completion + 2 VIDEOS ||| © Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 28 July, 2012
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 28 July, 2012