Topic: St. Petersburg
The historic Yeliseyevsky store, one of St. Petersburg’s oldest food stores, will reopen after undergoing years of renovation work on March 8.
The reconstruction work has restored the original façade of the historical building on the corner of Nevsky Prospekt and Malaya Sadovaya Ulitsa. On the first floor, workers have restored 33 meters of counters behind which goods are sold by weight and built 12 new counters where exclusive food products will be sold, the store’s press service announced.
The top floor of the distinctive Style Moderne building is due to house an upscale restaurant, while another restaurant and bar will open in the former cellar of the store.
The story of the Yeliseyev brothers’ trading house began in 1813 when Pyotr Yeliseyev came to St. Petersburg, bringing with him a portable stall and a sack of oranges, and began selling them.
Construction of the building took place from 1901 to 1903 and the store was opened in time for the 90th anniversary of the trade dynasty.
In Soviet times, when many food items were scarce and rationing was commonplace, the Yeliseyevsky store was famous for offering a wider range of rare delicacies.
The main room of the store is a large shopping hall decorated with mirrors, stucco molding, bronze wall lamps with crystal decorations, and marble and redwood paneling.
In 2013 it will celebrate its 110th anniversary.
© St. Petersburg Times. 08 March, 2012