Topic: Sergei Alexandrovich GD
Tamara Stepashin, Bishop Savva, Sergei Stepashin. Photo: IOPS
On 27th July, Chairman of the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society (IOPS) Sergei Stepashin, along with his wife, Tamara, visited the grave of the Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich at the Novospassky Monastery in Moscow.
The Transfiguration Cathedral, Novospassky Monastery. Photo: IOPS
The couple were greeted by Bishop Savva who escorted the couple to the Transfiguration Cathedral where the grand duke is interred.
The Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society was created in 1882 by Grand Duke Sergei, who also became its first president.
Sergei Stepashin lays flowers on the grave of Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich. Photo: IOPS
Stepashin laid flowers at the grand dukes grave and also viewed the memorial cross which was placed on the spot where the grand duke had been assassinated in Moscow in 1905. The cross was destroyed after the Revolution.
Grand Duke Sergei's body was originally buried in the Chudov Monastery within the precincts of the Moscow Kremlin. The monastery was demolished in 1928, and the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet was built in its place. The burial crypt of the grand duke was located in a courtyard of that building, which had been used as a parking lot.
Sergei Stepashin and Bishop Savva at the grave of the grand duke. Photo: IOPS
In 1990, building workers in the Kremlin discovered the blocked up entrance of the burial vault. The coffin was examined and found to contain the remains of the grand duke, covered with the military coat of the Kiev Regiment, decorations and an icon.
The cross which marked the spot where the grand duke was murdered in 1905. Photo: IOPS
In 1995, the coffin was officially exhumed, and after a service in the Cathedral of the Archangel in the Kremlin, it was rebuired in a vault of the Novospassky Monastery on 17 September, 1995.
© IOPS. 29 July, 2011