Now Playing: Language: NA. Duration: 4 minutes, 19 seconds.
Topic: Ganima Yama
Ganina Yama was a deep pit in the Four Brothers Mine near the village of Koptyaki, situated 15 km north of Ekaterinburg. In the early morning hours of 17 July, 1918, the bodies of Tsar Nicholas II, his wife, five children and four faithful retainers (all of whom had been murdered at the Ipatiev House earlier) were secretly transported to Ganina Yama and thrown into the pit.
The Russian Orthodox Church, relying on the pro-monarchist White Army's report in preference to any Bolshevik or government-supplied information, and doubting the DNA identification, declared Ganina Yama as Holy Ground.
The Imperial Family and their retinue had been canonized in 1981 by the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad, but it was not until 2000, and after much debate, that they were canonized as passion bearers by the Russian Orthodox Church inside Russia. The grounds at Ganina Yama were therefore dedicated to honour the family's humility during capture and their status as political martyrs.
With financial assistance from the Ural Mining and Metallurgical Company, the Church constructed the Monastery of the Holy Imperial Passion Bearers at the site in 2001. The monastery was blessed by His Holiness Alexey II, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia (1929-2008). A tall cross marks the edge of the mine shaft where the bodies of the Imperial family were desposed of.
Seven chapels were later constructed at the site, one for each member of the Imperial Family. Today, the monastery welcomes Orthodox faithful and monarchists from across Russia and around the world.
© Royal Russia. 13 July, 2011