Now Playing: Language: Russian. Duration: 30 seconds
Topic: Catherine II
The Monument of Catherine II situated on Ostrovsky Square (formerly Alexandra Square up until 1923) received its annual cleaning this week. The cleaning includes a special soap solution and then washed off with water.
The monument was erected in 1873 from the designs of M.O. Mikeshin and A.M. Opekushin. A base of reddish granite supports a bell-shaped pedestal bearing the figure of the Empress, 13 feet in height, clad in an ermine mantle, and holding the imperial sceptre in her right hand and a wreath in her left. Round the pedestal are nine colossal bronze figures of celebrated favourites of the Empress, including Grigorii Potemkin and Princess E.R. Dashova.
© Royal Russia. 9 July, 2011