Topic: Alexander II
This monument to Emperor Alexander II was inaugurated on May 31, 2003 in front of the A.V. Suvorov State Military Historical Museum in St. Petersburg. The museum was originally opened in 1900 as the Nicholas Military Academy.
The statue was presented as a gift to the city of St. Petersburg from the Ukraine to mark the 300th anniversary in 2003. It is a replica of the original designed by the sculptor Mark Antokolsky (1843-1902). The original was erected in the lobby of the Kiev Public Library and is now on disply in the courtyard of the Museum of Russian Art in Kiev.
© Royal Russia. 8 July, 2011