The Osceola Mine, located across the river from Greenock, showing the company store on the left. The tipple is in the middle and the Youghiogheny River to the right. The tipple burned down in 1902. Many Greenock residents worked in the Osceola Mine. They were able to get to the opposite side of the river either by walking across the frozen river, boats of various sorts, or passenger trains.
In 1878 Mr. Jones leased the Osceola mine from Thomas Mellon, founder of the Mellon National Bank, and formed the Osceola Coal Company. This was the first mine owned by James Jones. He sold his interest in the Osceola Coal Company and formed a partnership with Congressman W. L. Scott of Erie, Pa. They leased the Grant mines at Carnegie from Judge Mellon and operated them for some time.
From The Old Miner
Osceola Mine (ca.1884- ? ), located on the B & O. Railroad, opposite Greenock, Emblem, South Versailles Twp., Allegheny Co., PA