|The Annabelle Mine No.1 was built about 1910. It was located on a branch of the B&O railroad about 10 miles from Fairmont, WV. It was built by the Four States Coal & Coke Company, a division of the Pittsburg Buffalo Company. It was a shaft mine 300 feet deep with a concrete lining to prevent risk of fire. The main ventilating fan was 35 feet in diameter, 8 feet wide, being one of the two largest steel fans ever constructed is this country. A few frame homes were built before completion of the railroad. Annabelle had it's own brick plant that provided building materials for the new town. The miners homes were constructed from this brick and included indoor plumbing, a luxury compared to most coal patches of the time.
The mine was named after the daughter of Thomas P. Jones.
The Annabelle No.1 Mine.
The Annabelle No. 2 Mine before completion.
The Four States Coal & Coke Company also built the Dorothy and Sarita mines in West Virginia. More on these properties coming soon!