a Short Story from a Postcard
(From Kate Dickstein)
1. Select a postcard that will be the scene of your
2. Describe the scene. (Remember the story
must work without the postcard.)
3. Describe anything important that is to the right
and/or left of the picture. Above an/or below. (Describe
anything important off camera.)
4. Put a character into the scene, describe him or
her and tell what he or she is doing.
5. Bring in another character and describe her or
6. Have the two characters engage in a conversation
or otherwise interact.
7. Have the conversation turn into an argument or
conflict or expose a problem.
8. Have the first character attempt to resolve the
argument/problem.... but fail.
9. Resolve the argument/problem.
10. Have one or both of the characters leave the
11. Describe the scene again.