This flag, the first one to fly over Fort Humboldt, has been preserved by Redwood Forest Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, for over 75 years. It was given to them by Mrs. J. L. Masson of Bucksport. Prior to the 1994 Fort Humboldt Days display, this flag had not been seen by the public since February 7, 1925. The occasion for that display was the dedication of the bronze Historical Marker placed at Fort Humboldt by Redwood Forest Chapter, NSDAR, to commemorate the time spent there by Captain Ulysses S. Grant, and to perpetuate the historical significance of Fort Humboldt. The marker is still in place and can be seen at the north end of the Fort property, just behind the park office.
The man who raised the first flag and staff over old Fort Humboldt was Sgt. Joseph Snedden. Sergeant Snedden arrived in Humboldt County December 30, 1853, via the Isthmus of Panama, with the Fourth United States Infantry of which Capt. Ulysses S. Grant was quartermaster. On January 1, 1854, he raised the first flag and staff over the most westerly army post in the Union. Sgt. Snedden remained in Humboldt County and became a member of the Humboldt County Pioneers and the Col. Whipple Post #49 of the Grand Army of the Republic. He died August 15, l903, and is buried at Myrtle Grove Cemetery in Eureka.
The flag has 36 stars, measures approximately six feet by twelve feet, and is all handmade. In 1853 there were 31 states in the Union; apparently the flag was modified, probably between 1864 and 1867, to reflect the growing number of states. Upon inspection, its age and the ravages of time are evident. In 1997, with donations from the community, Redwood Forest Chapter completed the fundraising necessary for the preservation work to be done. While it will never be able to remain on permanent display, the Chapter intends to continue participating in selected community events where the flag will be available for viewing by the public on a limited basis.