Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

The Shulmire Family




There is no question that the Shulmire's originated in Germany. Shulmire is German for school master. Many Alternate spellings have been found including Schulmeyer, Schulmeir, Schulmyer, Shulmyer and Schulmaier.

The line continues in America with two brothers, Charles and Erwin Arthur. The boys were raised by Daniel and Mary Stouder who lived in Nappanee, Indiana; apparently they had been orphaned. Although there are many theories as to what happened to Charles and Erwin's parents an old family story states that in the dark in night a man on horseback would visit with Daniel Stouder, and inquire about Charlie and Erwin.

Erwin left the Stouders home in Indiana at the age of 16, and fell in with a gang of horse thieves. Eventually he made his way to California.

On July 6,1898 Erwin enrolled in the army. (Company D-2nd Regiment Oregon Volunteer Infantry). He was sent to San Francisco for a couple months training before being sent to the Phillipine Islands. Erwin arrived home un-hurt in August of 1899.

After his service in The Spanish American War, Erwin returned to California where he met his future wife.

One day Erwin and a friend made a trip to town, where Nellie Jones and her sisters were also shopping. They were all wearing long, white dresses, and no doubt looked quite pretty.

But it was Nellie who caught Erwin's eye. He leaned over to the friend he was with and whispered "Thats the girl I'm gonna marry."

The friend's reply was "Why would you want to marry her? She's Indian!"

Erwin Arthur Shulmire and Nellie Evelyn Jones were married May 21,1902 in Placerville, California.

Erwin and Nellie's first child, Charles was born in 1903. Over the years, they had seven more children: Alice Marie, Erwin Arthur Jr.,Daniel Edward, Maggie Mae, Wilfred, Howard,and Raymond. Maggie died during the flu epidemic, and the second to last son, Howard was stillborn.

In 1907 Erwin and Nellie moved to Klamath Falls, Oregon and started the Miller Hill Ranch. It was a small parcel of land- about 50 acres. The dairy market also looked promising, so the Shulmire Dairy was started. They did a good business and had many loyal customers, until 1925 when a vicious rumor about the milk was started.

A newspaper article was printed stating that the milk was tainted with Typhoid Fever. No one actually developed Typhoid, but the damage had been done, and the dairy was soon closed.

Many of Erwin's descendants say the rumor began when another local Dairy couldn't take the compeitition. This same dairy still prospers- but the whole family refuses to use their products!

The years passed, and Nellie and Erwin's children grew and were married themselves, but still they kept busy. Erwin helped build the Klamath Falls Weyerhaeuser mill in 1929, and began working at the post office a few years later.

Nellie died June 30,1943 and Erwin followed July 1,1951. Both are buried at Mt. Laki Cemetery in Klamath Falls, Oregon.


Erwin and Nellie's sixth child, Wilfred Franklin Shulmire was born February 26,1914. As a child, he worked on the ranch, and logged in many an hour at the dairy.

He attended Miller Hill School, Summers and Altamont Schools. Before finishing high school he was a member of the football team. Wilfred graduated from Klamath Union High School in 1934.

Wilfred met his future wife in the 1930's on a school bus. They were married February 14,1936 in Washington. For a short time they lived with Wilfred's family at Miller Hill Ranch.

Before long, Wilfred had built his own house in suburban Klamath Falls. He and his new bride moved in- and stayed for almost 50 years.

Wilfred began working at Weyerhauser soon after being married. He later began work at Southern Pacific Railroad as a Switchman. He retired in 1974 as the general yardmaster.

He and his young family enjoyed hunting, camping, fishing, and spending time together.

To Wilfred and his wife, two sons and a daughter were born. His wife and children survive him. Many Shulmire descendants still live in the Klamath Falls area.


Return to Homepage