1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. boiling water
6 tbsp. cornstarch
1/3 c. lemon juice
1 tbsp. grated lemon peel
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 baked 9" pastry pie shell
3 egg whites
6 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice
- In a 4 c. glass measureing cup, combine 1 1/2 c. sugar, salt, water, and butter. Cook 3-4 mins.in a microwave oven, stirring halfway through cooking time until sugar is dissolved.
- Blend cornstarch with 3 tbsp. water and stir into hot sugar mixture. Cook 2-3 mins., stirring after every minute.
- Stir in 1/3 c. lemon juice and lemon peel. Gradually add egg yolks, taking care to avoid over cooking them! Cook mixture 3-4 mins., stiring after every minute. Cool and pour into pie shell.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff. Continue to beat while adding 6 tbsp. of sugar, 1 tbsp.at a time, until rounded peaks form. Beat in 1/2 tsp. lemon juice.
- Spread meringue evenly over cooked filling, sealing to edges of pie shell.
- Bake in a conventional oven at 450 F 5-6 mins, or until lightly browned.