1 c. sifted cake flour
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 c. egg whites (8-10 eggs)
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. almond extract
- Sift flour and 1/4 c. sugat together 4 times.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until frothy throughout.
- add remaining sugar in small amounts and beat after each addition, preferrably with a rotary beater. Egg whites should have fine, even texture amd be stiff enough to hold a peak but not dry.
- Add flavorings.
- Cut through batter with a spatula to remove large air bubbles.
- Bake in ungreased tube pan at 375F for 35-40 mins.
- Invert pan and let cake hang in pan until cooled.