Fletcher Brick and Tile
Compiled by Mrs. Harry Armstrong
` ` ` November, 1912, with 1 kiln and 5 men -- Gilbert Armstrong, Harry Armstrong, Fred Makins, Pete Odelant and Edward Taylor. Fred Makins died in British Columbia in 1944. Pete Odelant killed in 1918 with the 47th Br. Battalion in France.
` ` ` Means of firing was natural gas at 10 cents per thousand and steam for power. The plant was enlarged to three times it ssize in 1914. This plant was destroyed by fire in December, 1916. In the next two years it was rebuilt and now consisted of six kilns. In 1921, the two Armstrong Brothers (Harry and Gilbert) made their first patented hollow building tile, known as the Denison Hollow Building Tile. In 1924, the plant was sold and a company formed known as Denison Tile Company. This company consisted now of Fletcher and Tilbury Tile plants and Gilbert Armstrong was superintendent for one year and then withdrew in 1925.
` ` ` In this year Belle River plant was added to the Company and Harry Armstrong moved to Belle River to superintend this plant with William Moore as superintendent at Fletcher. This arrangement was carried on until 1929, when the plant was closed until 1934. In this year the Denison Tile Company went bankrupt and Mr. M. Pougnet and Harry Armstrong finacned and operated Fletcher and Belle River plants. In Decmeber, 1940, Belle River plant was sold and Harry Armstrong had the Fletcher plant only and dissolved partnership with Mr. Pougnet and operated and financed the Fletcher plant alone.
` ` ` In 1941, he returned to Fletcher to reside and in 1948, at the time of compiling this material, is employing 14 men and operating 4 kilns using natural gas for power and coal for firing. Natural gas now being 1.13 cents per thousand including tax and coal $11 per ton.