United States of America Genealogy Help
Free links & Tools for Genealogical Research in the USA.
These Genealogy Links are Tools which you can use to uncover your USA Family Tree Archives & Heritage.
Click on Topic or Scroll down for free helpful tips
BASIC Family Tree Research for all - Basic "how to guides" to research, pedigree charts, figuring relationships, keeping genealogical records, free genealogy forms
||PAF - Personal Ancestral File Software and Genealogy Record Keeping (on another page)
||CENSUS RECORDS - Tips, Enumeration District lookup, Soundex Generators, Free Online database links
||Freedom of Information Act Request
||Social Security Application REQUEST Form Letter
|| United States of America Government Records -US National Archives (NARA), FBI, Military Records & more
||Cemeteries and Death Indexes-plenty of online searches and databases
||People Finding Resources - email, telephone look-ups, yellow pages...
Genealogy Help Pages on this site__________________________
BASIC Family Tree Research & Genealogy Information for all
^Return to Top ^ / HOME
CENSUS RECORDS, Soundex Generators Links & Tips
- United States Census Records - Begin your Research with Census Records (Encyclopedia of Genealogy)
- Free Census Online via Heritage Quest through participating Public Libraries - from the Encyclopedia of Genealogy started by Dick Eastman: " best known for its collection of the U.S. Federal Census records from 1790 through 1930."
- Heritage Quest Online + Library - search for F R E E online access in your area.
- Free 1790-1930 U.S. Census Records Available at the Internet Archive - record of the population census from 1790 to 1930. Scanned from microfilm from the collections of the Allen County Public Library and originally from the United States National Archives Record Administration. Now More than 13,004,791 page images.
- National Archives (NARA) 1940 U.S. Census Images Online - The census is available for viewing on microfilm at the National Archives Building in Washington, DC, and at their 13 regional archives.
- Free Census Project
(USGenWeb), Completed Transcriptions - Census Online Inventory Index is a volunteer project, which needs your help, see if your state is listed and what they they have finished and what needs to be done.
- The USGenWeb Census Project On-Line Inventory of Transcribed Census Links. -
USGenWeb Census "On-Line Inventory" lists all the states down the left and when you click on a state, the right side will open to show the links to all the transcribed census files for that state. The search is great for finding the specific state, county and year. Some have a "view" of the actual record.
- CLUES IN CENSUS RECORDS, 1790-1840 - good tips from the U.S. National Archives.
- MORE good Clues in Census Records, 1850-1940 - from NARA the U.S. National Archives.
- Calculating Birth Year Based on Census Information - Click on the census year. Match the person's reported age* with the birth year.
- CENSUS and SOUNDEX HELP - Steve Morse has a great site to find US Census (1790-1940) lookups and more.
- U.S. Federal Census Facts - An Introduction to Federal Census Research from The USGenWeb Census Project.
- 189 Census Collections at
- Census Online - Links to Online Census Records.
- Census Search at Rootsweb -
Census Database contains 491,023 records (44645 distinct surnames) Selected years, states and counties (as contributed)
- Online Census Finder - you will need to scroll past the commercials. Learn to sort through the free and avoid the for pay. Use the pull down arrow to locate the state you are interested in.
- World Wide Census Links - Click on United States then click on your State of Interest. Check back once a month for new additions.
- Key Online Library Catalogs for Genealogists
Census records can be had at a number of good libraries across the country look here to find one near you
- PDF Download from Madison Country Genealogical Society:::
- Census Records Abbreviations -
Here are some of the most common ones you will find when reviewing a census record.
- US Census Bureau Home Page - offers an age search for genealogy or other such purposes. Tells what the Bureau does and does not offer.
- SOUNDEX Code Generator -
and Immigration List Index by Cimorelli.
- SOUNDEX Code Generator in Java Script - Soundex is needed in some Census Searches. Do your Soundex lookups before you go into LDS or NARA.
- Census Instructions for Census Takers - covers the USA censuses 1790 through 2010.
- Census sensitivity - taking a census thus came to be known as the sin of David, and was long regarded as best avoided.
^Return to Top ^ / HOME
Obtaining USA Government Records
- Where to Write for USA Vital Records - Click on the USA State where birth, death, marriage, divorce occurred for full information on where to write for vital records and how to obtain the record.
- Freedom of Information Act Request - You can get a copy of your ancestors FBI, CIA or other Government File by using a FOIA letter of request. This one was developed by Mike Ravnitzky who has personally filed more than 5,000 requests for copies of restricted Government Archives.
- Genealogy Page at NARA - U.S. National Archives and Records Administration research room section.
- How to Make a Request to INS - information Download INS Form G-639 for FREE from the Immigration and Naturalization Service Immigration Forms Page.
- NARA - see what records are available at the US National Archives and Records Administration.
- NARA Locations by State - US National Archives locations and contact email information
- NARA's holdings of electronic records - use the Internet to check more than 50 million historical records at the US National Archives, (NARA) from Civil War battles to other Military Records. Supposedly they will eventually have access to immigration files but so far its slim pickings. The database draws from the records of 20 federal agencies.
- Department of Veterans Affairs Nationwide Gravesite Locator - includes burial location maps and burial records from many sources.
- NARA Military Service & Pension Records - The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is the official repository for records of military personnel who have been discharged from the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard.
To get your own military records or those of your parent, grandparent or other ancestor, write a letter to:
National Personnel Records Center,
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue,
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
- Military Indexes & Records - An Online Genealogy Guide by Joe Beine
- Military Records Requests FAQs - good list of information on requesting Military Records. NOTE - many USA States have Historical Archives so do a search for: "Military Records + State" on google, msn, yahoo and your favorite.
- Military Records - a list of records and research tips that may help you.
- Military Rosters - Rootsweb free Military Database. Selected countries, states and/or counties (as contributed)
- Naturalization Records from the US Immigration and Naturalization Service - INS naturalization records duplicate those found in naturalization courts throughout the country.
- New York State Archives - many records and helpful information. Small fee for information in most areas.
- Newspaper Abstracts - Search United States Newspapers (Volunteer Transcriptions - U.S., Canada and Ireland)
- Railroad Retirement Board - Official Site of the United States of America Railroad Retirement Board.
- Social Security Administration Online
- Guide to Freedom of Information Act Requests.
- Social Security Application REQUEST Form Letter - you can print-out this form letter for your use or use it as an example and write one yourself.
- U.S. SOCIAL SECURITY DEATH INDEX - free lookup from the LDS Family History Center. Name index to deaths recorded by the Social Security Administration beginning in 1962. Current as of February 28, 2014.
- Social Security Death Master File - free from Tom Alciere. Current as of mid-2011. Sorted by birth date and by number .
- Search the Social Security Death Index - based on the Alciere site.
- U.S. Genealogy Sites State by State - U.S. Genealogy Sites State by State list of United States Genealogy sites. Plenty of free info and helpful genealogical web sites from Genealogy Today.
- U.S. Public Record Research Library - provides a core group of links to FREE government searchable sites along with some important non-government sites
- U.S. Vital Records Information - Commercial site lists where to obtain vital records for each state, territory and county of the United States with good subcategories for cities, etc.
- U.S. Vital Records Room at D'Addezio.com - United States Vital Records listing every county by state. Please Note: On all the "Vital Records" links here and above, except for the actual payment for records from Government Offices remember to go for the FREE stuff first. Try doing your own research for at least 5 years, then "if you hit a brick wall", you may need to pay to belong to a group or buy CDs etc., but forgetaboutit until you have exhausted free or do-it-yourself resources.
- United States Genealogy Links - Databases for all of the States, includes ships passenger lists, census records, cemetery transcriptions, military records and more.
- American Fact Finder Advanced Geography Search - US Census Data lookup by street and town or zip code.
- United States and Territories - U.S. Geological Survey (U S Gazetteer database)
- United States Postal Service - Zip Codes and more.
- USA City & Country Locator - Locate a county for any U.S. City by Geographic Nameserver (current as of 1987 and gives several other important links.
- USA Gazeteer Maps of the USA - and more from the U.S. Census Bureau. Look up your town, city, lake, mountain and more.
- USA Town Search - U.S. Town and County Locator from Rootsweb
- USA States & Capitals - State information resource links to state homepage, symbols, flags, maps, constitutions, representatives, songs, birds, flowers, trees, etc.
- USGenWeb Project State WebSites - Online Census Images, State Pages with a wealth of County related info, and lots of other help for Genealogy Researchers.
- World Statesmen - encyclopedia of nations, colonies, international and religious organizations, and other polities. Country facts, maps, anthems, flags, links, and multiple indexes.
^Return to Top ^ / HOME
Cemetery, Death, Funeral Home, Grave Lookups
^Return to Top ^ / HOME
- AreaConnect Free Yellow Pages, White Pages and Guides - Local Search made easy.
- Letter Forwarding Service by the Social Security Administration - You can use the Social Security Administration to locate a lost person for humanitarian purposes only. (they read your letter first)
- Salvation Army Missing Persons Service officially known as the
Family Tracing Service will in certain cases assist people in
locating family. For further Information, in the USA, contact phone or write to:
- Infobel World - Telephone Directories - the Internet's original and most complete index of online phone books.
- International Phone Book Search | International People Search - also has a free U.S. domestic telephone directory.
- AnyWho - AT & T People: phone numbers, addresses, maps for Business & People in the U.S.A. also Find a Business with a Toll-Free Number.
- Email Address Search - Search simultaneously all the most popular email registry services on the Internet.
- Find a Person & Email Search - Verizon, Yahoo, WhoWhere, Bigfoot, Google & MIT.
- Freeality Find People - Access dozens of resources for finding people.
- Genealogy.com search - death records, email addresses and much more.
- Google.com - search all their tabs.
- Info Space - White Pages: find people and businesses. Must have scripts enabled on computer to use.
- International Directory - Find Phonebooks by Country.
- Internet Address Finder - Search for someone's email or find phone number or address or reverse search by address/phone.
- NEDSITE - the ultimate people finder website by Marten ter Borgh.
- Online Phone Books of the World - startpage from the Netherlands.
- SMARTpages White Pages - "Find a Person", "Find a Business" and more.
- SuperPages.com - Yellow Pages directory service with millions of business and residential listings nationwide.
- Switchboard.com - Internet Yellow Pages and White Pages - Maps
- Phone Book of the World - by Alexander (Alex) Algard
- White Pages Phone Directory - free people and business searches in the U.S. and Canada
- WhoWhere? - Phone Numbers, Addresses, email listings and more
- World Directories - Find People Worldwide from
- Yahoo People Search - search their listings.
- Yellow Pages.com - United States and International: you choose.
- ZABASEARCH - Free People Search and Public Information Search Engine.
^ Return to Top ^
Italian Form Letters
Italy Genealogy Family Tree Help
Genealogy Record Keeping
Italy Roots Message Board
For future reference
Genealogy Online and all things Italian
get out of "Frames" right click on one of the links above and
choose "Open in New Window"
or copy a link above and paste onto a new browser window.
you paid to be linked here, please complain to the site that linked
you here as this is a totally free genealogy site for all to use and
The author of this site provides these links as a matter of convenience and does not necessarily endorse what you may find there nor the accuracy of the information contained therein.
This website is best viewed with a 800 X 600 screen resolution
Last Revision: 06 Nov 2016
This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated.
Thank you for your consideration and have fun with your family-tree research!
Copyright (c) 1999 - 2016 by
ITALIAN GENEALOGY ONLINE