Passenger Arrival Records
lists are important Immigration records for your Italian Genealogy research. The main focus here is on free searches and helpful information on Passenger Ship Records & the US National Archives (NARA) Emigration and Immigration Archives. Links to photos of ships are at the end of this list.
All off-site links open to a new page. Italian Genealogy Online
is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
- NARA Immigration Records (Ship Passenger Arrival Records) - tips from the National Archives on How Ship Passenger Lists can help you in your research.
- Italians to America 1855 - 1900 Passenger Lists Data Files - Transcriptions relating to the Immigration of Italians to the United States. Be sure to search for Last Name only if you don't find your ancestor by searching for First and Last names.
- PORTS OF ENTRY and their Records - A Guide from the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) to Immigration Records for genealogy research (Ship Passenger Arrival Records and Land Border Entries)
- Official ELLIS ISLAND Search - Search Ellis Island Passenger Ship Records from 1892 to 1924, more than 22 million immigrants, passengers, and crew members came through Ellis Island and the Port of New York.
- STEVE MORSE - E A S Y - S E A R C H - Sort through ELLIS ISLAND and more with this very helpful and well thought out search by Stephen P. Morse and friends. It includes a way to find missing Ship Lists, known as Manifests, on the Ellis Island Database with help tools for the US Census and other records too. Take your time and examine each link carefully as his site links to FREE Lookups and "Pay-To-View" links too. The Morse site is easier, faster and more effective to use than many of the government and/or professional pay-to-view sites.
- Castle Garden America's First Immigration Center - SEARCH their database of information on 10 million immigrants from 1830 through 1892, the year Ellis Island opened.
- Italian Emigrant Databank Ship's Lists - New York, USA between 1880-1891, Buenos Aires, Argentina between 1882 -1920 and Vitoria, Brazil between 1858 -1899. Try this link if the other doesn't work. (PLEASE NOTE: for days at a time neither of their links will work...then it will pick up again...so if you can't get in today, try tomorrow.)
- Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation Wall of Honor - Search the American Immigrant Wall of Honor for your ancestors.
- Cyndi's Quick List of Ports of Entry - general overview of what is available via links maintained by Cyndi Howells.
- US Ports of Arrival and Their Available Passenger Lists 1820-1957 a guide for genealogy research - Included are Canadian & Mexican Border Crossing Records compiled by Joe Beine.
- What Passenger Lists are ONLINE? - Internet Sources for Transcribed Passenger Records & very helpful site by Joe Beine.
- Contact the US National Archives and Records Administration - NARA is very helpful when you need to find Ships Passenger Arrival Records, especially for those ship arrivals in other ports than New York. It is best if you have a good idea of the arrival date and other details. They will do a simple search for you if you provide them with enough information. The cost is minimal if they find something and you want copies. Some of the larger facilities have the full 20 volume set of "Italians to America" and will do a lookup. I found them to be very helpful and easy to deal with. I recommend NARA over any other "service", as are not profit motivated although they require reasonable reimbursement for expenses like photocopies and mailing.
- NARA Form 81 is for Passenger Arrivals - You can download a PDF of Form 81.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - About emigration & Immigration from PIE.
- Guide to Interpreting Passenger List Annotations - by Marian L. Smith Historian, U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service and other helpers on Jewish.gen.
- Download this PDF Ship Manifest Extraction Form - Use this handy All-In-One-Form from the Steve Morse Site to transcribe pertinent information from U.S. Passenger Ship Arrival Records.
- Ships Passenger List Extract Forms - from Capital Area Genealogy Society in Pennsylvania.
- Extract Forms for Ships Manifests - can be used to record information extracted from passenger manifests.
- Italian Immigrant Ships - Italians sailing from ports in Italy such as Naples, Genoa, Palermo, also LeHarve France and more by Vera Calistro.
- Italian Immigrants to United States - This Historical Immigration Archives site is cleanly presented and all the record details are free for viewing, no gimmicks, or fees or membership requirements. It is well maintained by Roy Hemmat of craftedknowledge.com.
- They came By Ship - Transatlantic Passenger Lists of the Calitrani Immigrants by Mario Toglia.
- ITA-SICILY Passenger Lists - from Sicilian and other Mediterranean Ports of embarkation; transcriptions and partial transcriptions.
- Louisiana Orleans Parish - Ships and Passenger Lists of the Orleans Parish Archives.
- Rootsweb Selected Passenger List SEARCH - Database contains 11059 records (5084 distinct surnames) with about 3000 records of ship passengers from Italy to the USA. Selected countries, states, and/or counties (as contributed)
- Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild Passenger Lists Table of Contents - Easy to access no scripts version for webtv and people who use safe surfing settings (no scripts, no activeX etc) on their computer.
- The Ships List - was established to assist those seeking information on the vessels which brought their ancestors to their new home. Read through this site if you are looking for information on U.S. Ports other than Ellis Island.
- Australia Passenger indexes - passenger lists from ships arriving and departing Australian ports by Jenny Fawcett.
- Boston Passenger Lists 1848-1891 - Port of Boston, Massachusetts, USA, Archives - Over one million immigrants came through the Port of Boston during this time period. Database updated monthly.
- Bremen Chamber of Commerce 3017 passenger lists for the years 1920 - 1939 - "some" Italian
Surnames.(click on English - or try this link: http://126.96.36.199/passagierlisten/index.php?lang=en
- New York Arrivals, 1903, Passenger Ship Project - Search their Database of 1903 Ship Passenger Arrivals to New York by the Dennis Baer project which will eventually cover every ship that has arrived in New York City in 1903...so keep checking or volunteer to help.
- New York City to California - via Central America 1851-56 and 1865-73 from Passenger Lists published in the New York Daily Times.
- Olive Tree Ships Passenger Lists - Information about Researching Passenger Lists, *some* free Passenger Arrival Lists, Information in Archives, Information about Ships, Genealogy Resources on the Internet."
- Passenger Lists on the Internet - index to various passenger ships lists on the Internet maintained by R. PROST.
- Ruth Anne's Ship Lists - transcriptions by Ruth Anne Lucas many include passenger Lists and occupations.
- Ship Lists and Resources - Various Emigration / Ship Lists and Resources many with pictures.
- Ship Search by name - search of many of the online passenger ship sites beautifully maintained by Illya James D'Addezio.
- Ships Guide / "The Compass": - to assist you in your search for immigrant related information with special emphasis on passenger lists, ships, ship images and descriptions, emigrant and ethnic databases, and resources such as archives, libraries and museums both on-line and off-line.
- Ships to America - American Colonies and Plantations compiled by Thomas Langford.
- The Danish Emigration Archives
- Library of Congress Historical Photos - search for Passenger Ships and more. Look at Little Italy New York for fun.
- Pictures of Ellis Island Passenger Ships in One Step - from Stephen Morse, again, a great search engine.
- The Immigration Experience - Historical pictures, plenty of interesting information and stories of the immigrant experience by Lou Alfano.
- The Ships List - Ships Descriptions extracted from posts to TheShipsList and Mariners List.
- Old Ship Picture Galleries - paintings, photographs, poscards, images
- Palmer List of Merchant Vessels -LOTS of pictures of Ships. [alphabetical listing at top of page]
- Photographs / Immigration, Ellis Island - New York, NY, Ellis Island -- Immigration: 1900-1920 from "The Golden Door Immigration Images" collection at the University of California Museum of Photography.
- Pictures of Ellis Island - Liberty State Park, Jersey City - Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty in New York harbor, Christopher Columbus Monument and more.
- Ship Pictures - KinShips' very beautiful pictures of the Passenger Vessels of Your Immigrant Ancestors
^ Back to Top ^
Italian Form Letters
Italy Genealogy Family Tree Help
Genealogy Record Keeping
Italian, Latin, Genealogy and Medical Glossaries
Italy Roots Message Board
For future reference Bookmark this
Genealogy Online and all things Italian
The author of this site provides these links as a matter of convenience and does
not necessarily endorse what you may find there nor the accuracy of the
information contained therein.
get out of "Frames" right click on one of the links above and
choose "Open in New Window"
or copy a link above and paste onto a new browser window.
you paid to be linked here, please complain to the site that linked
you here as this is a totally free genealogy site for all to use and
This website is best viewed with a 800 X 600 screen resolution
Last Revision: 21 Apr 2016
This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated.
Thank you for your consideration and have fun with your family-tree
Copyright © 1999 - 2016 by
ITALIAN GENEALOGY ONLINE