Asian themed room:
- black, red/marroon, and gold colors
- anything with dragons, Asian pictures, and Chinese symbols
- Asian themed picture frames (cost plus)
- black bedspread (bed bath and beyond)
- red pillows (same as above)
- bamboo blinds (JC penney)
- votive candles with chinese writing holders (bed bath and beyond, charlotte russe, contempo casuals)
- Chinese lanterns (Chinatown)
- painted chopsticks in a painted soda bottle(paint chopsticks and paint a soda bottle)
- Chinese or Japanese tea set (china/japantown)
- paint the walls light blue to look like the sky and paint or sponge clouds on the ceiling or around the tops of the walls
- cut out a big rectangle of green astroturf and use it as a rug
- use a piece of a white picket fence as a headboard
- Have lawn chairs, lawn gnomes and pink plastic flamingos placed around the room.
- pastel colored walls- especially light yellow or light pink
- Get posters from SF Ballet Co., New York Ballet (go to their web sites), or search at art.com and frame them around your room
- Put ur pointe shoes (only if you have them- I wouldn't buy them just for decoration!!!) on a hat rack or from hooks on your walls/doors. get creative with them!
- You can have any bedspread that goes w/ the color of your room, but I suggest plain colored ones.
- frame your dance pictures and place them around the room
- dry the roses you get from recitals and hang them somewhere
- pastel sheets and pillows with fabric glitter glue (sheets: macys fabric glitter glue: craft stores)
- pastel colored walls
- white twinkling christmas lights around top of walls (home depot, yard birds)
- white or blue icicle lights over window (check your garage, you probably have them!! or at home depot or any home supply store)
- small and large mirrors bordered with glitter glue (mirrors: craft store, glitter glue: craft store)
- beaded curtain, avoid matte beads, you want shimmer and irridescence!! (claires, the icing, top kapi, afterthoughts, delias)
- votive candles, all colors and scents!! (illuminations, target, k-mart)
- framed pictures of fairies/pixies (try art.com)
- for any additonal accessories, THINK GLITTER AND LIGHT COLORS!!!!
- get Ralph Lauren's metallic paint and freehand swirls, asterisks (*), etc. around windows, as a border, on ceiling, just randomly on walls, or on accessories
- any pastel colored sheets and pillows will do (macys, bed bath and beyond)
- potted plants i.e.: mini roses, african violets, terarium filled with flowers and plants do really well in rooms. (yard birds, k-mart, target, local nursery)
- dried roses hung upside down from window (your backyard, any nursery, your neighbors yard :)
- painted flowers and vine design on window (glass/window paint: michaels, ben franklins, any craft store. stencils: michaels, ben franklins, home depot)
- generic brown pots painted with same color as bed sheets, add ribbon and glitter if desired *to be used as storage for pens, makeup brushes, crayons, spare change, etc. depending on size* (brownish pots: k-mart, target, walmart, any nursery. paint, acrylic works best: michaels, ben franklins. Glitter, i used modge podge w/ sparkles: michaels, ben franklins. Ribbon: same as above)
- painted daisies/tuilips/roses, etc around closet doors, window etc. (paint:craft stores, stencil optional.)
- small little kids chair w/ floral cushion ( chair: craft store, cushion: macy's, sears, jc penny, etc)
- picture frames with paintings or photos or flowers (art.com) or pressed flowers in them
- buy a bunch of fake flowers with big blooms on them, cut off the blooms, and attach them to a pillow-- completely cover one or both sides with them
- paint your room bright green
- Get green posterboard, felt, or craft foam sheets & make large palm shaped leaves. Place them over doorways & windows.
- No matter what kind of carpet/floor you have, you can always buy a cheap astroturf rug to simulate grass.
- Buy rubber snakes, stuffed jungle animals and hang them around the room.
- Buy one of those pillow pals, like a tiger or leopard..they sell animal pillow cases from the Oriental Trading magazine. Just like pillow pals, but they are pillowcases instead. Go to oriental.com
- buy a jungle/tiger/zebra print bedspread
- hang plants like ferns from the ceiling (buy fake ones if you don't want to mess with real ones)
- buy fake or real brightly colored, tropical looking flowers and use them as accents
glam hollywood and animal prints room:
- paint your room a warm color (ex: yellow, red, pink, etc.)
- animal prints on dresser, bedspread, pillows, etc.
- use black boas as accents and borders on things
- frame cool black and white photos of old movie stars (Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, James Dean, etc. try art.com)
- sari fabric pillows and wall hangings
- go to cheap import stores, any ethnic stores or craft stores which sell fabric, you can get some bright sari fabric and use it to make pillows, cover things, or even make curtains.
- JCPenney's has bright, simple and relatively inexpensive bedspread/sheets sets. you can buy these in a color you like and accent with pillows.
- print a color picture of india or a hindu goddess and cut an x in the middle, slip it over your light switch, and TA-DA!! New light switch cover!
- pastel colored walls
- buy or make a sheer white bed canopy
- sheer white curtains
- big white down comforter or a quilt or something floral on the bed
- lots of candles and flowers in vases
- pillows/accents in satin, velvet, and lace
Everything either glows in the dark or is black light responsive:
- border lined with favorite advertisments/pics/ fabric, etc. covered with glow stars
- ceiling, walls, furniture, closet. curtains, tv, etc covered with stars
- room lined with blacklight posters and ones that are blacklight responsive
- ceiling fan covered with stars, and painted with dayglo (i.e. the tips so when it is spinning, its one big glowing circle)
- paint stars, etc. on stuff with blacklight-responsive paint
- star sheets (delias.com), rugs, etc.
- walls: a warm orange, red, pink, or yellow like a sunset; blue like the ocean; divide your walls into five seperate parts lengthwise. imagine as if you are painting stripes that go along your four walls parallel to the floor except make the borders of them wavy. on the lowest section, paint a dark blue color in this wave pattern. keep going up painting onto the upper and upper sections paling the color blue until you reach the topmost section with a pale white-blue. a wavelike ocean effect hopefully will be going on; or just paint a wave along walls (middle or top) and paint above the wave a lighter shade of blue.
- bed: hawaiian print comforter or duvet cover (target, wal-mart, pottery barn) or use a khaki bedspread to symbolize the sand. brighten up the bed with small pillows in solid white and beach prints. get patterned fabric from a fabric store in a beach theme [ seagulls, ocean, patterned blue] and stitch up some quick pillowcases for existing pillows.
- window dressing: bamboo blinds, hawaiian print curtains, or just plain white curtains
- furniture: preferably light colored or white wood. jazz up any color of furniture with starfish/seashell drawer pulls
- buy a cute dashboard hula doll and stick it anywhere (gadzooks, target, pac sun)
- buy some blow up palm trees and put them on your dressers and stuff (oriental.com)
- and if you have a surfboard or are planning to buy one you can mount it on the wall
- stores like party galaxy sell awesome grass skirts that you can trim the grass to one foot and hang as a border or above windows and doors
- fake lei's are great to border frames and bulletin boards with
- take seashells and make them into candles by placing a store bought wick in them and then pouring wax over them. white wax looks best.
- hang a spherical paper lantern from the ceiling in a warm, sunny color like yellow, orange or deep coral to symbolize the sun and provide a warm glow to your room (urban outfitters, pottery barn, target)
- take glass bottles and fill them with beach sand. line the bottles on you window sill to catch the sun as it comes in.
- use straw sunbathing mats as rugs. looks especially great if you have hard wood floors.
- use straw baskets to store your makeup, toiletries, etc. decorate them with small seashells.
- if you have large scallop shells, turn them upside down and use them as dishes for little things such as hair elastics or bobby pins on top of your dresser.
- peirce the top edge of sand dollars with a pin and thread fishing line through and hang them on your walls or in front of a window
- make picture frames out of sand. coat unfinished wooden frames [purchase from ikea or a craft store] with a slightly watered down glue and dip in a tub full of sand. be sure to get even amounts of it on there. make sure its enough to cover the wood. shake off excess and let dry. repeat until you achieve the desired thickness of sand covering your frame. apply a spray on varnish in a satin finish when it's dry.
- cut photographs of beachy places from travel magazines in square or rectangular shapes. frame or mat them with cheap card that you can find at any craft or art supply store. hang on walls.
- warm walls (yellow, orange, red, pink)
- get one of those Mexican blankets to put on bed or use as a rug
- buy little Christmas lights with plastic coverings, such as red hot chile peppers, sombreros, and cactuses and string them all around your room
- hang a sombrero (a Mexican hat) on the wall
- a potted cactus somewhere in your room would be cool
- if you know someone that lives down towards mexico..ei: Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or California... Mexican items probably wouldn't be too hard for them to find for you
- add sparkle any way you want.
- Paint your walls a light pink or purple
- Hang sheer fabric like tulle or lace or whatever in windows or in front of your closets(fabric stores usually have sales on this stuff)
- Make a drape and hang it over your bed and weave the fabric around the head of your bed( you can use the fabric you used for the curtains)
- Get a pillow that has princess embroidered on it or make one your self with an iron on transfer.(transfer paper at any office supply store. Pillow at www.gfla.com under room)
- Lots of pink, purple, or white candles
- crowns, etc. as accents
- stuff with "princess" written on it
- Picture frames with old pictures in them
- Walls: Light blue w/ yellow stars moons and suns stamped all around the middle of the walls
- Windows: You could use those hippie bead things that like hang down to cover your windows and your closet.
- Furniture: Painted white is best
- Ceiling: TONS of glo-in-the-dark stars!
- Accessories: anything celestial like angels or candles (do NOT light candles in a baby's room) works great.
- glow in the dark stars on ceiling (any toystore)
- plain white bedspread or one with stars(delias.com)
- switchplate painted with mini stars or star stickers with a glow in the dark over coat of paint (paint/stickers michaels, or any craft store)
- mini star pillows (delias and alloy)
- star picture frames (bed bath and beyond, claires, or any accesory store)
- mirrors, mirrors, mirrors! (ikea, pier 1, cost plus)
- star shaped scented candles (cost plus, bed bath and beyond, illuminations)
- Christmas lights
vintage themed room:
- black and white pictures-marilyn monroe, elvis, retro cars or other retro/famous people pictures in vintage frames (ebay, art.com)
- black velvet comforter and pillows (bed bath and beyond)
- old vanity (flea market)
- pictures of elvis in vintage frames
- old camera (ebay, etc.) somewhere