1460 The Pentice was rebuilt at the City's expense , this seems to have covered only the southern part as there are references to the rebuilding of the north side in 1497.
There are further references to the enlargement of the Pentice in 1573. This is probably the structure shown by Randle Holme.
1780 The Inner pentice was taken down by voluntary subscription. The outer Pentice was finally taken down in
1810 From the sixteenth century and until the nineteenth century the City's records were kept there. The Pentice court held its sessions in the upper storey. The court was then moved into the Exchange in Northgate Street
1288 The Pentice was a precursor to the Exchange . Its upper storey , corresponding to Row level , contained the offices of the mayor and his clerks . It was first mentioned in 1288 ( as the penticium ) The earliest illustration of the building is a drawing by Randle Holme dating from the middle of the sixteenth century . This shows as the name implies from the Latin appenticium , a lean to shed , via the Old French appentis. Its early construction was of a timber - frame the eastern end projected into Northgare Street It consisted of two storeys with the Corporation chambers above the shops at street level