Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Chapter 50


Oceans apart
Day after day
And I slowly go
Insane
I hear your voice
On the line
But it doesn’t stop
The pain
If I see you next to never
Then how can we say
Forever …
-Richard Marx, “Right Here Waiting”

Although he knew what went on at bachelor parties, Isaac was less than prepared for the debauchery that Gregor had lined up for Cameron’s.

The party was held at Gregor’s house. By the time Isaac got there, most of the guests were suitably drunk, the music was cranked as loud as it would go, and three strippers were in attendance.

Isaac watched in amusement as Cameron, egged on by Gregor and about a dozen other men, became falling down drunk.

“God, Gregor, he is wrecked,” Isaac said. “You making sure he gets to the church on time tomorrow?”

Gregor, who was not far behind Cameron in the drunkenness department, chuckled. “That’s why it’s an evening wedding, my friend,” he said. “When we party, we’re quite serious about it.”

Isaac smiled. “That’s what I’ve heard.”

Gregor looked long and hard at Isaac. “Hey, I’ve been meaning to tell you that I’m sorry for the way I’ve treated you,” Gregor slurred. “I know you probably think I’m just saying that because I’m plowed, but I really am sorry.”

Isaac smiled slowly. “I have to admit you weren’t one of my favorite people at first,” Isaac said. “But then I thought about it, and I realized that anything you did you did out of love for Taryn. How could I hate you for loving her when I do, too?”

Gregor blinked quickly. “Man, are you deep for being so young,” he said. “Hey, did you get a drink?”

Isaac blushed. “Actually, the Christmas party was the first time I really drank all that much,” he admitted. “And Taryn coached me through that. I’m not really sure what to drink so that I don’t feel like crap tomorrow.”

Gregor smiled at Isaac. “You’re not driving, right?”

Isaac shook his head “Nope, cabbing it.”

Gregor nodded. “I can help you,” he said. “Follow me.”

Isaac and Gregor cut through the crowd of people, who were gathered around Cameron watching him do shots of Jack Daniels. Gregor slid behind the heavy oak bar, and Isaac took a seat on a stool across from him.

“Okay, here’s the rules,” Gregor said. “Decide first thing if you’re drinking liquor, beer or wine.”

Isaac surveyed the bottles behind the bar. “What’s a mild liquor?” he asked.

“Rum is good for beginners,” Gregor said. “How about rum and Coke?”

Isaac nodded. “Okay, but take it easy on me.”

Gregor poured Isaac a drink. “Okay, now here’s what you do,” he continued. “Do not deviate from rum and Coke all night. People will try to get you to try other drinks or to do shots, but don’t. You’re not ready yet.

“Since you’re new, you need to keep close track of how much you’re putting away. After two or three, you’ll lose count. You don’t want to drink any more than six probably, so sip slowly. And when you’re finished with each drink, take the stir straw out and put it in your pocket. That way you don’t go over your limit and you know when to switch to soda.”

Isaac tentatively sipped the drink. Gregor had mixed it rather weak, and Isaac could barely taste the alcohol.

“This isn’t bad,” he said.

“Watch it, they’ll start going down even easier,” Gregor warned.

Isaac and Gregor sat in silence for a minute, watching a half-clothed stripper manhandle Cameron.

“I wonder what the girls are doing now,” Gregor mused.

Isaac grinned. “I’m sure they’re just drinking tea and eating finger sandwiches.”

***

It was one o’clock in the morning, and Taryn was throwing up in a bar parking lot. She was completely smashed.

Lindsey, who could barely stand up herself, was holding Taryn’s hair back and trying to console her.

“Get it all out,” Lindsey cooed. “You’ll feel better with all the rot out of your system.”

Taryn sat up and leaned against the side of the building. Her head was spinning.

“Good God, Lindsey, I haven’t puked in a parking lot for years.”

Lindsey giggled. “When did you turn into such a lightweight? I’ve seen you drink twice as much as you did tonight and be fine.”

“I think it was drinking Stoli instead of the bar vodka,” Taryn said, trying in her drunkeness to come up with explanations for her inability to hold her liquor. “I’m not used to the good stuff.”

Lindsey tried to focus on Taryn. “Are you okay now?”

Taryn nodded. “I think so. Is our cab here?”

“Yeah, but the cabbie wanted me to make sure you were finished so that you didn’t barf in his taxi.”

Taryn laughed. “I’m so sorry I ruined your party.”

Lindsey clucked her tongue. “We had a great time, Taryn,” she admonished. “We danced, we drank, we got hit on. What more could I ask for? Just because we didn’t close the bar doesn’t mean it wasn’t a hell of a time.”

Taryn cocked her head at Lindsey. “You are a great girl,” she said. “Cam is very lucky.”

“I’m lucky, too.”

Taryn nodded. She began to well up, and hoped a crying jag wasn’t coming on. “Take good care of him.”

“I will.”

Lindsey helped Taryn up, and together they staggered to the cab, giggling like teenagers.


On to Chapter 51
Back to Chapter 49
Home