Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Chapter 38

Late at night
When all the world's sleeping
I stay up and think of you
And I wish on a star
That somewhere you are
Thinking of me too …
-Selena, “Dreaming of You”

It was apparent even from the street that the Hanson house was bustling with activity when Isaac and Taryn arrived. Iris and Melissa ran ahead, and Isaac kept a tight arm around Taryn as they made their way to the door.

“Ready?” he asked.

“I think so,” Taryn said, forcing a nervous smile.

The guests were greeted with a flurry of people of all ages and cheerful music. Zac was the first to notice the new arrivals, and made his way quickly to where they stood just inside the door.

“Taryn!” he said. “I never thought you guys would get here. Hey, Iris, Melissa.”

Iris smiled and waved, while Melissa stood speechless. She was still having a hard time accepting the fact that she was in the Hanson house.

Zac smiled. “Can I take your coats?”

As Zac trudged off under a pile of jackets, Taylor approached the group.

“Hey, guys,” he said. “How are you holding up, Taryn?”

Taryn smiled at Taylor. “I’m okay. Thanks for asking. Where are they? Can we do the introductions and get this over with?”

Taylor motioned across the living room. “They’re over there.”

Isaac took Taryn’s hand reassuringly, and led her across the room to where his parents were talking to other party guests. Iris and Melissa followed.

“Mom, Dad,” he said. “This is Taryn, her daughter Iris, and Iris’ friend Melissa.”

Diana and Walker Hanson looked up to see their oldest son accompanied by his new girlfriend and two young girls. Diana was trying not to look Taryn up and down, but couldn’t help it.

Walker held his hand out to Taryn and smiled. “Nice to see you again, Taryn,” he said. “We met in New York about six weeks ago.”

Taryn smiled back gratefully. “It’s nice to see you again, too, Mr. Hanson.”

“Call me Walker. This is my wife, Diana.”

Diana Hanson smiled at her guests. “Welcome to our home,” she said cordially. “We’re glad you could make it.”

Iris stepped forward. “Thank you for having us,” she said.

Diana smiled at the little girl. “You’re very welcome,” she said. “Isaac, why don’t you take Iris and Melissa and get them acquainted with Jessie and Avie?”

Isaac nodded. “That’s a good idea. We’ll talk later, okay, Mom?”

Diana smiled at her son. “Sure.”

Isaac introduced his young sisters to Iris and Melissa, and as he sat with them, Taryn leaned down to whisper in his ear.

“I need to step outside for just a minute and catch my breath,” she said.

“Do you need me to come with you?” Isaac asked, concerned.

“No, I’m fine,” Taryn said. “I’ll just be a minute.”

“Hurry back.”


On to Chapter 39
Back to Chapter 37
Home