Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Chapter 31

There's something
In the way she moves
Or looks my way, or calls my name
That seems to leave
This troubled world behind
And if I'm feeling down and blue
Or troubled by some foolish game
She always seems to make me
Change my mind …
-James Taylor, “Something in the Way She Moves”

The rush of Christmas came and went in both the Mathews and Hanson households. Taryn and Isaac talked on the phone almost every day, alternating calls.

Isaac was finding it difficult to concentrate on writing songs for the new album he and his brothers were going to have to start coming up with ideas for soon. “Live From Albertane” had sold fairly well, but it was nowhere near the success “Middle of Nowhere” had been. This album was going to be hard work, and he knew he had to buckle down and get going on it. Becoming famous, it seemed, had been the easy part. Now the brothers Hanson had to keep the momentum going.

Aside from the career things that were on his mind, Isaac’s personal life was now demanding a lot of his attention as well. He was a little nervous about bringing Taryn and Iris home to meet the family.

Unsure how to broach the subject, he had run it by his brothers first.

“You’re doing what?” Zac had asked.

“I’m bringing Taryn and Iris to Tulsa for New Year’s,” Isaac had replied, trying to sound nonchalant. “How do you think Mom and Dad will feel about that?”

Taylor raised his eyebrows. “I don’t know, man,” he said, rolling over on his stomach on his bed and giving his older brother a long look. “I mean, they know it’s going on and all, but actually seeing it … that’s different.”

Isaac sighed heavily and looked into the brown and blue eyes that were staring at him in disbelief.

“I think it’s cool,” Zac finally decided out loud. Conviction covered his face. “Yeah,” he said, nodding. “I’m on your side.”

Isaac looked to Taylor. “Tay? What about you? Will you put in a good word for me?”

Taylor smiled. “Sure, man. Why not?”

When their oldest son had approached them with the idea of meeting his much older significant other and her young daughter, Walker and Diana Hanson were less than thrilled.

“Isaac, we understand that you’re an adult,” Diana had said. “But you know that we don’t really approve of this … relationship.”

Isaac had known it was going to be hard to be firm with his parents, but he was prepared.

“Mom, I want to be able to have you two be a part of this,” he said. “I know it’s hard for you to accept. But it happened. Neither one of us went looking for it, but now it’s happened. I’m not going to stop seeing her.” Isaac thought for a minute about what he could say next. He figured he had gone this far, he might as well lay it all out on the table. “I love her.”

Diana and Walker stared at their son in disbelief. “You what?” Walker finally asked.

“I love her,” Isaac repeated. “And we’re together. For real.”

“How for real?” Diana Hanson asked suspiciously.

“That’s a personal question, Mom,” Isaac objected. “All you really need to know is that this is a real relationship. She’s more than just a girlfriend. She’s a part of my life.”

“Where will she be staying?” Diana asked tightly.

“I’ve gotten a hotel for us.”

Diana raised her eyebrows. “You’re staying at a hotel with her?”

Isaac locked gazes with his mother. “Yes.”

Walker decided to diffuse the possibly ugly argument that was likely to begin soon.

“She seemed nice when I met her the one time,” Walker allowed. “And your brothers like her. Not that we approve of your involving them in your keeping secrets, but they have said that she’s very nice and that she’s been thoughtful of them.”

Diana sighed. There was absolutely no talking to Isaac about this, she was sure of that. She wished that he would meet a nice girl his own age, but at the moment he seemed very taken with this Taryn person. Rather than alienate him, she thought, maybe it would just be better to go along with him on this one.

“All right,” she said. “If this is what you want, we’ll support you.”

Isaac hugged his mother. “You’re going to love her,” Isaac enthused. “She’s great. And her daughter is, too.”

Diana smiled. She remembered being Isaac’s age and being in love. But that was a another time, and things were different now.

What can it hurt? She thought as she watched Isaac head for the telephone to call his significant other in New York. It can’t last forever. He’s only 18, and it’s not like he’s talking about getting married.


On to Chapter 32
Back to Chapter 30
Home