Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Chapter 10


I’m not talking ‘bout moving in
And I don’t wanna change your life
But there’s a warm wind blowing
The stars are out
And I’d really love
To see you tonight
-England Dan & John Ford Coley, “I’d Really Love to See You Tonight”

Taryn stole one more look in the small hand mirror she kept in her desk. She laughed to herself that she did have the most shocking array of black and blue welts on her face.

God, she thought. What was I doing agreeing to see Ike when I look this way?

She put on her black velvet hat, pulling the brim as far down over her eyes as she could without further impairing her vision. She then put on her wire-framed Guess? glasses. She normally only wore them when she was working on the computer, but she hoped that they would avert attention from the fact that her face was so bloated.

She stood and smoothed her long black sweater over her patchwork design peasant skirt, grabbed her coat and bag and headed out.

***

Isaac Hanson paced nervously in the lobby of Rutner Publications. He had been on many dates before, and he wasn’t quite sure why this one had him so uptight.

I have to chill out, he thought to himself. She’s too classy to deal with this stuttering teenager crap.

Isaac looked at the bouquet of roses he had brought for Taryn. Six white ones, mixed with baby’s breath and ferns. That was good, he thought. He had originally picked up red roses, but changed his mind when he remembered that they were supposed to mean something about everlasting love. He didn’t want to seem pushy or presumptuous.

At that moment, Taryn stepped off the elevator. Isaac caught his breath. Even though she was battered, he still thought she was stunning. She was just so cool, so sure of herself. Not that he didn’t like girls his own age. His friends and his younger fans were great. But there was something about Taryn and the way she carried herself that took his breath away. She took her life experiences and instead of them making her seem old to him, Isaac thought she was worldly and very interesting.

Isaac tucked the roses inside his leather jacket and approached Taryn.

“Hi,” he said. “You look great.”

Taryn smiled. “And you’re supposed to be the sincere Hanson,” she said with a chuckle. “I did read in a bio at the magazine that Zac said you’re a real girl charmer.”

“Is it working?” Isaac asked with a sly smile, his brown eyes dancing.

“Maybe.”

Isaac produced the roses from inside his jacket.

“For you.”

“Oh, Isaac, they’re beautiful.” Taryn couldn’t remember the last time she got flowers from a man for no reason.

“So are you.”

Taryn blushed. “Stop it.”

Isaac offered Taryn his hand.

She took it, and amid stares from all in the lobby at Rutner Publications, Taryn Mathews and Isaac Hanson stepped hand in hand into the brisk New York evening.

“What do you have planned for us?” Taryn asked curiously.

“Well, since you seem to be adverse to light on this particular occasion, I did a little research to find the dimmest restaurant possible, and I’m going to take you to dinner there first,” Isaac said.

“Great! I’m starved.”

That’s different, Isaac thought. Most of the girls I’ve dated would be terrified to eat in front of a guy.

They walked to the parking structure, and Isaac unlocked the passenger door of his rented Jimmy and helped Taryn inside. He jogged around to the driver’s side, got in and buckled his seat belt. “Away we go!” he said.

Taryn settled back in her seat and smiled. She wondered if it was normal for a 28-year-old to feel so comfortable with an 18-year-old.

“So, are you almost 19?” she asked as Isaac pulled out into traffic.

“Well, no,” Isaac said. “Actually, I just turned 18 the day after I met you.”

Taryn stifled a giggle. There went her theory that maybe they were closer to being nine years apart than 10.

“When is your birthday?” Isaac asked.

“May 23.”

“That’s cool. Midway through the year. I always thought mine was a little too close to the holidays.”

“Iris’ birthday is in September,” Taryn said.

“Who?”

“My daughter. Her name is Iris.”

“That’s an exotic name.”

“I was an exotic kid. Now she’s one.”

Taryn and Isaac continued to get to know each other on the way to the restaurant.

When they pulled up outside a tiny Italian café on the corner, Taryn smiled.

“This is my favorite restaurant in the city,” she said.

Isaac smiled back. “Guess I picked a winner.”

Isaac came around the truck and helped Taryn out. “Are you sure I don’t look too frightening?” she asked.

Isaac stopped and turned to look into Taryn’s eyes, or at least into the slits where they were supposed to be.

“I don’t even see the bruises or the stitches,” he said. “All I do know is that you are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.” And he meant it.


On to Chapter 11
Back to Chapter 9
Home