On October 5 1898, spars and wreckage, on one piece of which was the name “Philadelphia” in zinc letters, were washed ashore at Orepuki, Foveaux Strait. With the discovery of further wreckage in a bay at Stewart Island it was conjectured that the ship Philadelphia, which sailed from Newcastle, N.S.W., on August 27, bound for Callao with a cargo of 2,700 tons of coal, and which never reached her destination, had foundered in the vicinity of Foveaux Strait.
The Philadelphia was a steel, full rigged ship of 1,805 tons gross, and 1,710 tons net register, built at Geestemunde, Germany, in 1892 by J. C. Techlenborg, and her dimensions were : length 255 ft, beam 38.9 ft, depth 23 ft. It is believed that Captain J. Wachter was in command of the ship when it was lost.
Back to Foveaux Shipwrecks Page.