Photo Copyright 2003
Facts and Trivia
- The oil well drilled in a flowerbed in 1941 south of the state capitol was nicknamed, "Petunia #1".
- Oklahoma has four mountain ranges: Arbuckles, Kiamichis, Ouachitas and the Wichitas.
- Oklahoma has more man made lakes than any other state, over one million acres of surface water.
- The only state whose state song is from a Broadway musical is Oklahoma.
- Oklahoma is bordered by six states: Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, New Mexico, and Texas.
- Muskogee's annual Azalea Festival features over 30,000 azalea plants in some 625 varieties.
- In 1907, Oklahoma became the last US state to declare Christmas a legal holiday.
- State Animal: American Buffalo
- State Beverage: Milk
- State Bird: Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
- State Butterfly: Black swallowtail
- State Colors: Green and White
- State Fish: White Bass (Sand Bass)
- State Flower: Mistletoe
- State Grass: Indian Grass
- State Insect: Honeybee
- State Motto: Labor Conquers All Things
- State Musical Instrument: Fiddle
- State Reptile: Mountain Boomer
- State Rock: Rose Rock
- State Tree: Redbud
- State Waltz: "Oklahoma Wind"
- State Wildflower: Indian Blanket
The Oklahoma flag was designed in 1925 by Mrs. Louise Funk Fluke who used both colors and symbols to honor the sixty different Native American tribes
living in Oklahoma. The word Oklahoma
in white was added on in 1941. On a field of blue is an Osage shield, a buffalo hide and eagle feathers. The crosses on the shield are Native American signs for stars. An olive branch and a peace pipe lays across the shield symbolizing peace.
The state seal shows a pioneer and an Indian shaking hands beneath the Scales of Justice, centered in the star.
The star's five ponts each contain symbols of the Five Civilized Tribes. The star is surrounded by 45 smaller stars representing the other states admitted to the U.S. before Oklahoma.
Oklahoma's state seal has a dark blue background. The large center star is white, the smaller stars are gold and the ring around the edge of the seal is gold.
Brand new state! Brand new state, gonna treat you great!
Gonna give you barley, carrots and pertaters!
Pasture fer the cattle, spinach and termayters!
Flowers on the prairie where the June bugs zoom,
Plen'y of air and plen'y of room,
Plen'y of room to swing a rope!
Plen'y of heart and plen'y of hope!
Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain,
And the waivin' wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain.
Oklahoma, ev'ry night my honey lamb and I
Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk makin' lazy circles in the sky.
We know we belong to the land
And the land we belong to is grand!
And when we say YEEOW! A-Yip-I-oee-ay!
We're only sayin'
You're doin' fine, Oklahoma!
[ Fun Stuff | Ghostly Gazebo | A-Z Quotes | Banners ]
[ Raptors | My Dachshund | Native American Quotes | Awards ]
[ Oklahoma Page | Links | Trivia | Award Application ]
Go to the top of this page.