Site hosted by Build your free website today!

Brief Biography and Background of Aung San Suu Kyi

1992 Onward

During 1992- The Nobel Committee revealed that Aung San Suu Kyi has established a health and education trust in support of the Burmese people to use the $1.3 million prize money.

January 9, 1993 - The SLORC's National Convention meets to begin drawing up guidelines of a new constitution.

During 1993- Seven fellow Nobel Laureates flew into Thailand having been enied entry into Burma. From there, they called for the release of Aung San Suu Kyi, visited refugee camps and offered support to the democratic and ethnic opposition of Burma. They traveled on to Geneva to repeat their appeal at the UN Commission for Human Rights.

January 21, 1994 The military junta used another excuse to continue the detention of Aung San Suu Kyi. It says she can be detained for up to six years under their law. Whilst the regime as a whole can choose to detain a person for five years, the regime said an extra year can be added by the decision of a three-member committee comprising the Ministers of Foreign Affairs, Home Affairs and Defense.

February 14, 1994 - UNDP Resident Representative Jehan Raheem, US Congressman Bill Richardson and New York Times reporter Philip Shenon visit Aung San Suu Kyi. In her first meeting with non-family members since she was detained, Suu Kyi tells U.S. Congressman Bill Richardson she will never be pressured into leaving Burma but is ready to discuss anything else with SLORC.

September 20, 1994 - Suu Kyi has her first talks with SLORC leader Than Shwe and the second most senior SLORC member, military intelligence chief Lieutenant-General Khin Nyunt.

October 28, 1994 - Suu Kyi has another meeting with Khin Nyunt and two military officials. State media says talks were "frank and cordial" and covered political and economic situation.

March 15, 1995 - The SLORC releases from prison two senior NLD members, Tin Oo, former defence minster and co-founder of the party, and Kyi Maung, who led the party in the 1990 polls.

July 10, 1995 - Military officials in Rangoon announce Suu Kyi released from house arrest.

July 11, 1995 - Suu Kyi tells reporters she still dedicated to restoration of democracy in Burma and calls for dialogue on political reform between SLORC, democracy movement and ethnic minority groups. She also urges foreign businessmen thinking of investing in Burma to wait until democracy restored.

Oct 10 - NLD reappoints Suu Kyi as party secretary general in defiance of a SLORC ban on changes to party leaderships.

Nov 28 - Suu Kyi informs SLORC the NLD is withdrawing from National Convention and shortly afterwards senior SLORC official warns armed forces will "annihilate" anyone disturbing national interests.

March 13, 1996 - Suu Kyi forced to cancel trip to Mandalay to attend supporters' trial after train coach she booked on develops last-minute fault. She later tells reporters the SLORC trying to prevent her meeting the people.

March 25 - NLD chairman Aung Shwe calls on SLORC to convene the parliament which was elected in the 1990 poll.

April 16 - Authorities prevent Suu Kyi and supporters performing traditional new year ceremony at a Rangoon lake.

May 20 - State newspaper commentary calls Suu Kyi and other senior NLD figures poisonous snakes and calls for her weekend talks to crowds outside her house to be stopped. Two senior SLORC generals warn of action against "destructionist groups" and "traitors" and sweep is launched against NLD members planning to attend party congress at Suu Kyi's house coinciding with sixth anniversary of May 27, 1990, election win.

May 25 - NLD officials say 218 party members detained but party conference, which due to begin on May 26, still on.

May 26 - NLD party congress goes ahead.

Important: please be noticed that this site is best viewed only with Microsoft Explorer 4.0

[Microsoft download] Webmaste©
Guest Book back previous page next page next