Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Part of the Buckeye State Roads Gateway


Ohio is a state that is rich in history. Each of the towns, villages, and cities that dot the landscape of the Buckeye State has its own story to tell. The purpose of the Ohio Town Historic Markers project is to help uncover the unique stories that stand behind the development of these municipalities. These special signs, which are in the shape of the Buckeye State, have been erected at the entrances to many of these communities. Each marker has the community's name across the top, and a note of historical significance about the village or city.

This site offers a unique perspective of the different communities of Ohio. Your help with this project is enthusiastically encouraged.  Photos, links, corrections, and anecdotes are all accepted.  Photos should focus on the sign and if possible the surroundings.  Extreme close-ups are not necessary; however, the context should be readable.  Photos are subjected to be resized to fit the needs of this project.  If you are interested in helping out, I can be reached via e-mail at michohioroads@yahoo.com.  Thank you for your enjoyment and continued support!


A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z


B

  • Baltic (Photo by Mike Austing) - Founded as Rowville in 1848, incorporated as Baltic in 1903. Nestled in the heart of Amish Country, Baltic is located at the point where Holmes, Coshocton, and Tuscarawas Counties come together. On OH 93 South.
  • Barnesville (Photo by Mike Austing) - Settled in 1808. Situated at the junction of OH 800 and OH 147 in southwestern Belmont County, this community is named for its early nineteenth century founder, Maryland pioneer James Barnes. On OH 800 South.
  • Berlin (Photo by Mike Austing) - Berlin is a quaint little town in the heart of Holmes County Amish Country, at the eastern junction of US 62 and OH 39. Berlin is also the birthplace of Atlee Pomerene, a U.S. Senator from the 1910s and 1920s. On US 62 West.
     


    C

  • Cadiz (Photo by Mike Austing) - Located at the junction of US 22, US 250, and OH 9, Cadiz was not only the home of John Bingham, prosecutor of Abraham Lincoln's assassins, but it also served as the childhood home of Clark Gable, who was actually born in Hopedale just a few miles to the northeast of Cadiz. On US 250.
  • Caldwell (Photo by Mike Austing) - Founded in 1854.  Named for the person who donated the land for the community to develop on, Caldwell is the county seat of Ohio's youngest county, Noble County. On OH 821 South.
  • Cambridge (Photo by Mike Austing) - Incorporated in 1895. The City of Cambridge, county seat of Guernsey County, is referred to as the "Crossroads of Ohio", as I-70, I-77, US 22, and US 40 all meet there. The first bridge to be authorized by the Northwest Territory Legislature was constructed where Cambridge is located today. On US 22/US 40 East.
  • Conneaut (Photo by Doug Kerr) - Founded in 1796, incorporated in 1832. Located in the far northeastern corner of the Buckeye State, the City of Conneaut was originally known as Fort Independence. On OH 7 North.
     


    D

  • Dresden (Photo by Mike Austing) - A town set along the Muskingum River, Dresden is located where the Indian town of Wakatomica once flourished. On OH 60.
     


    F

  • Fairport Harbor (Photo by Mike Austing) - Home to the Fairport Harbor Marine Museum and Lighthouse, one of the oldest standing structures in northern Ohio, this Lake Erie shoreline community was at one time an Indian village site. When initially founded, the town was called Grandon, but was changed to Fairport Harbor in 1825.
     


    G

  • Genoa (Photo by Dan Garnell) - Founded in 1857, incorporated in 1868. Named for Genoa, Italy, the Village of Genoa features a Town Hall that has been classified as the oldest free-standing municipal building in Ottawa County, in place for over 120 years now. On OH 163 West.
  • Gnadenhutten (Photo by Mike Austing) - Settled in 1772. The Village of Gnadenhutten (pronounced locally as "ja-na-den-hutten") has the distinction of being "Ohio's Oldest Existing Settlement".  On US 36 East.
  • Granville (Photo by Mike Austing) - Founded in 1805. Home to Denison University, the Village of Granville was originally established by a group of New Englanders as an early center of education.  On OH 661 South.
     


    J

  • Jewett (Photo by Mike Austing) - This northern Harrison County town was home to an early car company during the late nineteenth century. On OH 9/OH 151.
  • Johnstown (Photo by Mike Austing) - Founded in 1813. The Village of Johnstown is where famous mastadon remains were unearthed in 1926.  On US 62 East.
     


    L

  • Lyons (Photo by Sean Lyons) - The community of Lyons is just south of the Michigan State Line in northern Fulton County. At one time, it was the home of the Toledo & Western Interurban Electric Train Depot. On OH 120.
     


    M

  • Malta (Photo by Mike Austing) - Founded in 1816. Named for the island country in the Mediterranean Sea and situated along the banks of the Muskingum River in central Morgan County near McConnelsville, the tiny Village of Malta was home to James Ball Naylor, a writer who based many of his works on the early history of the Buckeye State. On OH 78.
  • Mantua (Photo by Mike Austing) - Incorporated in 1898. The Village of Mantua is in northern Portage County, just north of the Ohio Turnpike on OH 44. Founder John Leavitt named the community after a famous Italian city. On OH 44 North.
  • Marblehead (Photo by Dan Garnell) - At the eastern end of the Marblehead Peninsula and just across Sandusky Bay from Cedar Point, Marblehead is home to the oldest lighthouse on the Great Lakes to be in continuous service, the Marblehead Lighthouse, built in the early 1820s. On OH 163 East.
  • Minerva (Photo by Mike Austing) - Where Stark, Columbiana, and Carroll Counties come together at a single point is where Minerva is situated.  The community was the birthplace of Dwight D. Eisenhower's Secretary of Defense, Charles Erwin Wilson. On US 30 West.
  • Mount Vernon (Photo by Mike Austing) - Settled in 1805. Daniel Decatur Emmett, the author of the traditional Southern anthem "Dixie", was born in, and is currently buried in, this county seat of Knox County. Mike has provided a link to an article by the Beacon Jounral dated March 1, 2003, on how "Dixie" came into being. To view this article, please click here. On US 36 East.
     

    N

  • New Athens (Photo by Mike Austing) - This small Harrison County town was the one-time home of Franklin College; now, it is a branch of Muskingum College. On OH 9.
  • New Philadelphia (Photo by Mike Austing) - Founded in 1804, incorporated in 1833. Set along the banks of the Tuscarawas River, the City of New Philadelphia is just west of where Schoenbrunn, the first Christian community in Ohio, was located. On OH 259 West.
  • New Rumley (Photo by Mike Austing) - A small hamlet in northern Harrison County, New Rumley is best known as the birthplace to General George Armstrong Custer. A special monument honoring the famous U.S. General is situated nearby. On OH 646.
  • Norwich (Photo by Mike Austing) - Situated between Zanesville and Cambridge along I-70 and US 40, Norwich is home to the National Road / Zane Grey Museum, which details one of the nation's first "western routes", as well as the "Father of the Adult Western". Norwich also has the unfortunate distinction of being the site of Ohio's first recorded traffic fatality. On US 40.
     


    O

  • Oak Harbor (Photo by Dan Garnell) - Founded as Hartford in 1835, incorporated as Oak Harbor in 1871. With a prime location on the banks of the Portage River in central Ottawa County, the Village of Oak Harbor was at one time a major exporter of oak timber. While the lumber industry has diminished over the decades, this quiet community remains strong and committed to its roots. On OH 163 East.
  • Old Washington (Photo by Mike Austing) - This Guernsey County community is the site of a battle that featured General John Morgan's Confederate Raiders. On OH 285 North.
  • Oregon (Photo by Sean Lyons) - Incorporated in 1959. An eastern suburb of Toledo, the City of Oregon is home to the popular Maumee Bay State Park on the southwestern corner of Lake Erie.  The main street through Oregon, Navarre Avenue (OH 2), was named for Peter Navarre, a famous Indian scout from there. On OH 2 West.
     

    P

  • Port Clinton (Photo by Dan Garnell) - Founded in 1828.  The county seat of Ottawa County, the City of Port Clinton is near the site of a famous fight in the Battle of Lake Erie from the War of 1812. On OH 163 West.
  • Port Washington (Photo by Mike Austing) - Famous landscape artist Alexander Helwig Wyant was born in this Tuscarawas County town in 1836. On US 36 East.
     


    S

  • Somerset (Photo by Mike Austing) - This Perry County community was the hometown of Civil War General Phil Sheridan. On US 22 West/OH 668 South.
  • Swanton (Photo by Sean Lyons) - The Village of Swanton is where the inventor of the Baker steam engine, A.D. Baker, was born. On US 20A/OH 2 West/OH 64 North.



    T

  • Toledo (Photo by Dan Garnell) - Founded in 1837. Northwest Ohio's largest city is situated along the banks of the mighty Maumee River. Toledo, the Glass City, is home to the world famous Toledo Mud Hens, who moved into the all new Fifth-Third Field in downtown in 2002. On OH 51 North.
     


    U

  • Uhrichsville (Photo by Mike Austing) - Founded in 1833, incorporated in 1866. This eastern Tuscarawas County city is located at the junction of US 36, US 250, and OH 800. Originally named Waterford, the town was renamed Uhrichsville in 1839 after local mill operator and town founder Michael Uhrich. An article about the early beginnings of Uhrichsville can be viewed by clicking here. On Eastbound Trenton Street.
  • Upper Sandusky (Photo by Dan Garnell) - Wyandot's county seat is the site of the last reservation of the Wyandot Indians in the Buckeye State. On OH 199 South.
  • Utica (Photo by Mike Austing) - Founded in 1810 as Wilmington, renamed Utica in 1817. At the junction of US 62 and OH 13 in northern Licking County, the Village of Utica was the leading producer of glass in the United States for a period during the early twentieth century. On wall in front of the Utica Police and Fire Departments on OH 13.
     


    W

  • Waterville (Photo by Sean Lyons) - Founded in 1830, incorporated in 1882. Alongside the Maumee River, the Village of Waterville is home to the Columbian House, an infamous 1828 state coach stop. The structure still stands today as a restaurant. On US 24 West.
  • West Lafayette (Photo by Mike Austing) - Founded in 1850. The Village of West Lafayette was at one time known as the "Porcelain Enameling Center of the World." On OH 751 South.
  • Woodsfield (Photo by Mike Austing) - Founded in 1814. Named for founder Archibald Woods, Woodsfield serves as the county seat of Monroe County. On OH 78 East.
     


    Z

  • Zoar (Photo by Mike Austing) - Founded in 1817. The Village of Zoar, situated just a few miles southeast of I-77 in northern Tuscarawas County, was named for a group of German settlers, the Zoarites, who established the community as a place where they could exercise religious freedom. On OH 212 East.
     


    Links
     

  • Keystone Town Markers (Adam Prince)
  • Connecticut Town Historical Signs (Doug Kerr)
  • Ohio Highways (Jeff Kitsko)
  • Ohio Highway Ends (Dan Garnell)
  • Ohio Road Photos (Adam Prince)
     



    2003, Dan Garnell. Photographs used on this site are the property of the photographer, and are used with permission. No photograph may be used without the consent of the photographer. All right reserved.
    Page Created: February 24, 2003.
    Last Updated: November 22, 2003.