The Ford Post Monument
On Saturday, September 30, 2000, the East Toledo Historical Society held its first "Willow Walk" at Willow Cemetery on Pickle Road. Many local Civil War organizations, including the Greater Toledo CWRT, were invited to participate. The event was a kickoff to that organization's "Restore the Glory" campaign to restore the GAR monument within the cemetery's ground. More than 400 people attended, and plans are already being made to have a Willow Walk II in 2001.
Below are a couple pictures from that beautiful Saturday afternoon, as well as a picture of the Ford Post Monument as it looked around the turn of the century. A recent inventory at the cemetery has turned up over 160 Civil War veterans (including one Confederate who moved north after the war), as well as patriots who served in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Another recent discovery revealed the grave of a woman who was, as her headstone simply yet eloquently states, "Born into Slavery / Died a Free Woman."
LEFT: The Wales family were among East Toledo's pioneers. Buried next to this memorial marker are Andrew J. Wales and Philander Wales. Andrew served in the 14th Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War.
CENTER: A picture of the Ford Post Monument from early 1900s. The sculpture of the infantryman atop the monument would eventually rust away and the monument itself show the effects of time and polution.
RIGHT: Another of the many Civil War veterans buried within Willow Cemetery. Alonzo Muchler was also a member of Northwest Ohio's first regiment for the war, the 14th OVI.
PO Box 140844
Toledo, Ohio 43614