Monclova Township is situated only a few miles outside of Toledo. One of the oldest cemeteries in the area is in Monclova--Swan Creek Cemetery--and it is here that the Monclova Soldiers Monument stands.
The Monclova Soldiers Monument was erected in 1870 through the efforts of the members of Ruckel Post, No. 335, Grand Army of the Republic. The Post took its name from four brothers from the area who were killed in the War of the Rebellion. Altogether, the Ruckel family sent six sons to the war--only two came back alive. The brothers' names are:
Though Ruckel Post possessed neither a large membership, nor a great deal of money to work with, its members desired to remeber their fallen comrades. Five hundred dollars were raised, and a white marble monument, surmounted by an eagle, was erected and dedicated on Memorial Day, 1870. On the four sides of the monument were inscribed the names of those Monclova men who died while in their country's service.
Time has not been kind to the monument. Weather, pollution and valdalism have all taken their toll. The eagle is gone, the obelisk cracked, and the marble etchings badly worn. Since last year (1999) Monclova Township has been upgrading the cemetery, and with the help of donations from groups such as ours, have seen to it that the monument has been restored to its former glory.
The Monclova Soldiers Monument, repleat with newly-restored eagle, was rededicated on Memorial Day, 2000--130 years to the day of its original dedication. The ceremony drew nearly 200 people. Among those present were descendants of some of those whose names are inscribed in the monument; some came from as far as Illinois, Indiana, Maryland and Florida to pay their respects to ancestors who died while serving their country. Reenactors representing the 14th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, the 100th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and Company C, 5th United States Colored Troops were also present, as well as members of the Greater Toledo Civil War Roundtable and American Legion Post 335.
The Monclova Soldiers Monument once again stands proudly overlooking the cemetery in which many a veteran lies buried. Its polished marble sides once again gleam in the sun; the names once more are clearly etched for all to see and remember. A marble eagle once again sets atop the monument, as if to stand guard over those who rest within the cemetery grounds.
The Greater Toledo Civil War Roundtable is proud to have been a part of this project, from the beginning to the successful conclusion. And we are grateful to the people of Monclova Township for accepting the challenge to save a piece of our local heritage. We can only wish the all communities would respond in such a positive manner to similar situations.
Names Appearing on the Monclova Soldiers Monument