The pictures and maps of Toledo in the 19th century were scanned from Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio 1623-1923, by John M. Killits, editor. Published in Chicago and Toledo by The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1923. Notes, with a few updates and additions, are taken from this work.
Drawing of Toledo, 1842: The building on the extreme left with the portico is the Indiana House, the leading hostelry of the time.
Painting of Toledo, 1852: From an oil painting by William H.Machen, a local artist of note from the late 19th century. The view is from the brow of the hill in rear of the site of St Francis de Sales Church, at the corner of Cherry and Superior streets. The street in the middle ground, showing horses and wagon, is Jackson, then known as Oak Street; that on the left is St. Clair, and the one on the right is Superior. The two paths lead frm these streets toward the bridge at Cherry Street. The churches, from left to right, are Trinity Episcopal, corner of St Clair and Adams (still exists); First Congregational (congregation still exists but has moved to a different location), on the site occupied (in 1923) by the Temple Theater, on St Clair; and St Paul's Methodist, on the corner of Madison and Superior, site now occupied (in 1923) by the Northern National Bank. The large square house on the extreme right is on the corner of Madison and Huron opposite the Spitzer Building (still exists).
Toledo in 1866: The drawing shows a view of Toledo from the East Side of the Maumee River. Over the roof of the large mill in the foreground and to the right of its smoke stack may be seen the towers of the Island House, hotel and passenger station of the Cleveland, Norwalk and Toledo, and Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana Railroads--afterwards The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, and later The New York Central Railroad. Notice how the riverfront has grown.