How To Clean
Ask most fishermen what their
favorite fish to eat is and they will
tell you catfish. Ask them what their
least favorite fish to clean is and they
will tell you catfish!
There is an
easy method for cleaning catfish, that
will change the way fishermen feel about
The old way to clean a
catfish taught you to "gut" the fish and
then nail it to a board to skin it using
pliers to pull the tough skin off. What
To clean a catfish:
- Wipe the whole fish dry with a paper
- With a sharp knife remove the dorsal
adipose, and pectoral fins.
- Fillet both sides of the fish with a
sharp knife. (the skin is still on the
fish at this point)
- Place one of the fillets skin side
down onto a cutting board.
- Make a cut through the meat only
(not the skin) about ¼ inch up from
- If you are right handed press down
on the fillet with your left hand right
behind the cut you just made.
- Place the blade of the knife into
the cut at a 45° angle (towards
the head of the fish) against the skin.
- Push the knife forward, seperating
the skin from the meat.
- Repeat this with the other fillet.
- You now have two boneless, skinless