Site hosted by Build your free website today!

Imperial Ethiopia Home Pages Memoriam Page

This page is a memorial page of prominent figures of significance and events in the areas of monarchy, religion history and politics in Ethiopia and around the world.
His Most Serene Highness Rainier III
Prince of Monaco
Biography Coming Soon

His Holiness Pope John Paul II
The Imperial Ethiopia Home Pages marks with great sadness, the death of His Holiness, John Paul II, Supreme Pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church on April 2nd, 2005. His Holiness was just a month short of his 85th birthday. John Paul II was born into a devoutly Catholic family in Wadowice Poland in 1920 as Karol Jozef Wojtyla. His father, Karol Wojtyla, was a retired army officer and tailor, while his mother, Emilia Kaczorowska Wojtyla, was a schoolteacher. Karol had an elder brother Edmund, and an infant sister who died before his birth. At the age of nine, young Karol lost his mother, at age 12, he lost his much loved elder brother, and at age 21 he lost his beloved father. Karol Wojtyla was an athletic young man, who enjoyed sports, and who had a passion for poetry and theater as well as religion, and had a gift for singing. He studied philosophy and literature at Jagiellonian University. Karol Wojtyla was active in an underground theater group that often dealt with issues of oppresion and political injustices. 1940, when Poland was occupied by Nazi Germany, Karol Wojtyla took a job as a stone cutter in a quarry, and later in a chemical plant. During this time, Karol joined a secret seminary in Krakow and took theology courses at Jagiellonian University while all around him Priests were being killed by the Nazi's for opposing the occupation. The mass murder of the Jews had a deep impact on Karol Wojtyla. In 1944, when the Nazi's began rounding up young Polish men and deporting them, Karol took refuge in the Archbishop's residence in Krakow. In 1946 he was ordained as a priest and completed his masters degree and doctorates in theology and philosophy. He became a chaplain to University students in Krakow just as Soviet dominated Communist rule took hold in Poland. In 1954 the theology department of Jagiellonian University was desolved, and the staff and students were merged with the Archdiocesan Seminary. Father Karol became a professor at this time at the Catholic University of Lubin, and split his time between Lubin and Krakow, teaching at both places. In 1956, Father Karol was appointed to the chair of ethics at Catholic University, and in 1958 when he was named the auxiliary bishop of Krakow. When the Vatican Council II began meeting in 1962, Bishop Karol Wojtyla was one of its important intellectual figures with a focus on religious freedom. In 1962, he was named the acting Archbishop of Krakow. He hid his dislike of Communism well, and so when his name for a cardinal's hat was submitted, the Communist authorities did not veto his name as they often did. Archbishop Karol Wojtyla was made a Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church in 1967 by Pope Paul VI. Karol Cardinal Wojtyla was constantly lobbying the Communists for permission to build churches, and protecting various Catholic organizations such as youth groups and associations. He held open-air masses which were officially forbiden, and helped the Catholic underground in Czechoslovakia by sending youth ministers and Priests into that country. The Cardinal was once asked if he feared retribution from government officials. "I'm not afraid of them," he replied. "They are afraid of me." Upon the sudden death after a brief 34 day reign of Pope John Paul I, the world was suprised when the conclave elected Cardinal Wojtyla Pope on October 16, 1978. Karol Jozef Wojtyla chose the name John Paul II. He was the first non-Italian pope in 455 years and, at 58, the youngest pope in 132 years. Less than eight months after his enthronment as Pope, John Paul II traveled to Poland and stayed for 9 days. Much to the horror of the Communist regime which had imposed official atheism on the people, millions turned out to welcome the Pope and followed him on his tour. It was the first blow that eventually would lead to the collapse of Communism in Poland, that would spread like a wild fire and would bring to a close the rule of Soviet Communism around most of the Communist world. Pope John Paul II made 200 trips to 125 countries, becoming the most widely traveled Pope in history. In 1981, a Turk named Mehmet Ali Agca shot the pope twice in an assassination attempt. Agca first told the police that he was acting for the Bulgarian intelligence service, but later recanted that part of his confession. After his recovery, the Pope visited Agca in his cell and forgave him. The astonished Agca said, "How is it that I could not kill you?" John Paul II was the first Pope to visit a mosque, and the first to visit a synagogue. He recognized the nation of Israel, but at the same time supported the right of the Palestinians to a homeland. He called for peace in the Balkans, and opposed the war in Iraq. He apologized for the crimes that Catholics had commited against others over the centuries. He also payed tribute to those who were massacred in the Jewish Holocoast, and those massacred in the Armenian Holocoast as well. He worked towards reconciling with the Orthodox churches, returning relics and icons to Eastern churches from which they had been taken before ending up in the Vatican. His death after a reign of 27 years on the Throne of St. Peter was marked by sorrow, not just by Catholics, but people of all creeds and backgrounds around the world. The Imperial Ethiopia Hompages salutes the late Pope for his huge contribution to mankind, and wishes him eternal rest and blessings.
Chris Prouty Rosenfeld
Noted Author, Historian, and Friend of Ethiopia
The Imperial Ethiopia Homepages sadly marks the death of Chris Prouty Rosenfeld on February 8th, 2005, of injuries sustained in a fall at her home. Mrs. Rosenfeld was 83 years old. Chris Prouty was born in El Monte California. She was a 1943 graduate of Antioch College in Ohio, where she was the first woman to be elected communtiy manager, the equivalent of a student body president. She moved to Washington D.C. after graduation to work in the war effort, and worked for the U.S. Senate Sub-Committee for War Mobilization. She also volunteered at the National Council of Negro Women and was a speech writer for Mary Mcleod Bethune. In 1944, she married Eugene Rosenfeld, and moved to London where he was working for the Office of War Information. They returned to the U.S. following the war, and lived in New York and the Washington area. In 1956, the Rosenfelds were posted for a time to India by the U.S. Information Agency (the successor to the Office of War Information). While in Inda Mrs. Rosenfeld became active in the theater as a director and actor. In the early 1960's Mrs. Rosenfeld did research for the famous documentary, "A Tour of the White House With Mrs. John F. Kennedy." In 1964, the Rosenfelds were posted to Africa, living first in Tanzania, and then in Ethiopia. There Mrs. Rosenfeld developed her passion for Ethiopian history. Mrs. Rosenfeld, writing under her maiden name of Chris Prouty wrote "Empress Taytu and Menelik II: Ethiopia, 1883-1910." in 1976. The book probably the authoritative biography of the Empress, and is one of the sources used in the assembling of the Imperial Ethiopia Homepages sections on Menelik II. The dedication of the book was to Princess Seble Desta and all the women prisoners of conscience in Ethiopia during the Dergue era. With her husband, Mrs. Rosenfeld wrote "The Historical Dictionary of Ethiopia and Eritrea" in 1994. Following their time in Ethiopia, the Rosenfelds were posted in London, and returned ot Washington in 1974 just as revolution enveloped Ethiopia. Mrs. Rosenfeld was a trustee of the D.C. Public Library, served as chairperson and member, of the library foundation, volunteered at the Washington Ear and the National Archives, was a member of the Society of Women Geographers and the editor of their newsletter. Eugene Rosenfeld died in 1999. Chris Prouty Rosenfeld is survived by her daughter Megan, her sons Eric, Steven and Peter, as well as several grandchildren and a sister. The webmaster of the Imperial Ethiopia Homepages was honored to have met Mrs. Rosenfeld in a New York City in 1987. Our heartfelt condolences to the Rosenfeld family.
Nariman Sadek
Former Queen of Egypt
The Imperial Ethiopian Home Pages marks with regret, the death of the former wife of King Farouk of Egypt, and mother of King Ahmed Fuad of Egypt, Nariman Sadek. The former Queen was 72 and died in Cairo on February 17th, 2005, following complications from surgery to remove a blood clot from her brain. Born on October 31, 1934 to a middle class family, Nariman was the only child of Hussien Fahmi Sadek Bey and his wife Aseela Haneh. She was engaged at age 16 to Dr. Zaki Helsem. What followed has been the subject of much rumor and gossip. One common thread in the various stories states that the King spoted the young couple in store of his jeweler and offered to pay for their wedding rings, but that things took a different turn. What is certain is that her engagement to Dr. Helsem was desolved, and Nariman Sadeq married the recently divorced King Farouk of Egypt on May 6th, 1951. Unlike his first wife, Queen Farida, Queen Nariman was not made to change her name to a name starting with the letter F, which was considered good luck by the Egyptian royal family. Virtually the entire family had names starting with the letter F. Queen Nariman promptly gave King Farouk a son and heir, Prince Ahmed Fuad. However, during the early months of their marriage, tensions between the Wafdist government and the British over British hegemony, resulted in the massacre of an Egyptian police outpost in Ismaila by British forces. This in turn caused widespread anger and insurrection in Egypt, which turned it's wrath on the Wafdist government and resulted in the burning of Cairo. The government resigned and the military intervened to stabilize the situation. The royal family was on vacation at their summer palace at Ras El Tin, in Alexandria, when the King was asked to abdicate his throne and depart. King Farouk abdicated in favor of his infant son, Ahmed Fuad, and with his family, boarded his yacht with his family and sailed for Italy in July 1952. Queen Nariman was now technically the Queen-Mother of Egypt, but the new Egyptian government abolished the monarchy shortly thereafter. Soon after this, Queen Nariman left her husband and returned to Egypt. The Queen divorced the King in 1954, and married Dr. Adham El Naqib, prompting monarchists to drop her title of Queen. She went on to have a second son, Akram El Naqib, before Nariman divorced Dr. El Naqib. King Farouk died in 1965 in Rome. Nariman Sadeq went on to marry Dr. Ismail Fahmi. Nariman Sadeq is survived by her sons, exiled King Ahmed Fuad of Geneva Switzerland, and Mr. Akram E. Naqib of Cairo Egypt. Our condolences to her family.
Her Highness Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte
Grand Duchess of Luxembourg and Princess of the Belgians
It is with deep regret that the Imperial Ethiopia Home Pages marks the death of Her Highness, Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte of Luxembourg at the age of 77. The Grand Duchess had long suffered from cancer. The Grand Duchess was the mother of the reigning Grand Duke Henri, and the wife of the former Grand Duke Jean. She was also the sister of King Albert II of the Belgians, and also of the late King Boudoin on the Belgians.Born on October 11, 1927 to Prince Leopold of Belgium and Princess Astrid of Sweden, who later became the (King Leopold III and Queen Astrid of the Belgians), she married the hereditary Grand Duke Prince Jean of Luxembourg in 1953. They had five children, three boys and two girls - one, Henri, became the Grand Duke in 2000. She was particularly involved in charity activities, serving at one time as the president of the Luxembourg Red Cross. Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte visited Ethiopia during the reign of Emperor Haile Selassie, and also hosted the Emperor in Luxembourg. The Grand Duchess is survived by her husband Jean, her sons Grand Duke Henri, Princes Jean and Guillaume and daughters Princesses Marie-Astrid and Margaretha, as well as her brother the King of the Belgians. Our condolences to the Royal families and people of both Luxembourg and Belgium.
His Royal Highness Prince Bernhard,
of the Netherlands
The Imperial Ethiopia Homepages observe with sadness, the death of His Royal Highness Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands at the age of 83. Prince Bernhard was the husband of the late Queen Juliana, and the father of Her Majesty Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands. Prince Bernhard was born in Jena, Germany, on 29 June 1911, the elder son of Prince Bernhard von Lippe and Baroness Armgard von Sierstorpff-Cramm. The Prince spent his early years at Reckenwalde, the family estate in East Prussia (now Woynovo in Poland), near the city of Züllichau (Sulechow). He studied law at the commercial college in Lausanne, and at the universities of Munich and Berlin. He was awarded his Referendar Juris degree in 1935. On graduating, the Prince went to work for the German chemical company, I.G. Farben. After a period of training, he became Secretary to the Board of Directors at the Paris office in 1935. He met and was later engated to the shy Princess Juliana, heiress to the Dutch throne, in 1936. He was appointed Lieutenant Commander in the Royal Netherlands Navy, Captain in the Royal Netherlands Army and brevet Cavalry Captain in the Royal Netherlands Indies Army (KNIL). On 27 November of 1936 year, he became a Dutch citizen. On 7 January 1937, Prince Bernhard married Princess Juliana of the Netherlands and was accorded the title of Prince of the Netherlands by Queen Wilhelmina. Four daughters were born to the marriage, Princess (later Queen) Beatrix in 1938, Princess Irene in 1939, Princess Margriet in 1943, and Princess Christina in 1947. In 1939 he became Aide-de-Camp Extraordinary to Queen Wilhelmina. Upon the German invasion in May 1940, the royal family was forced to flee to the United Kingdom. For safety reasons, Princess Juliana and her children moved to the Canadian capital, Ottawa, a month later. Prince Bernhard spent almost the entire war in London, the seat of Queen Wilhelmina's government-in-exile. Between 1940 and 1945, he played an active part in the Allied struggle against Nazi Germany, both in London and, from September 1944, in the Netherlands. Although of German birth, and a former member of the Nazi Party, Prince Bernhard earned the love and devotion of the Dutch people not only as Supreme Commander of the Netherlands Armed Forces, but as an active airforce pilot. During his stay in London, he gained his pilot's wings. In 1941, he became Honorary Air Commodore in the British RAF and after the war, in 1964, was promoted to Honorary Air Marshal He was present when the terms of surrender were negotiated in Wageningen in May 1945. He was reunited with his wife and family in the Netherlands in August 1945. In 1943, Queen Wilhelmina had appointed him Lieutenant-General and Vice-Admiral, and in 1944 Supreme Commander of the Netherlands Armed Forces and the Netherlands Forces of the Interior (the military resistance). In September 1945, the Prince was honourably discharged from these posts and, at the same time, appointed Inspector-General of the Royal Netherlands Army. On 4 September 1948 Princess Juliana succeeded her mother as Queen of the Netherlands. From that date to the date of Queen Juliana's abdication in 1980, Prince Bernhard, as the Queen's Consort, bore the title the Prince of the Netherlands. The Prince accompanied his wife on state visits including their visit to Ethiopia, upon which time he recieved the Order of Sheba from Emperor Haile Selassie. Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard also hosted the Emperor in the Netherlands as well. Prince Bernhard was the founder and a governor of the Prince Bernhard Fund, which was set up in London in 1940. The original aim of the Fund was to collect financial contributions for the Allied war effort. After the war, it became a vehicle for the advancement of culture, science and nature conservation in the Netherlands. In 1999, the Fund’s name was changed to the Prince Bernhard Cultural Fund. Prince Bernhard was also a governor of the Erasmus Prize Trust, which he founded in 1958. Prince Bernhard has always been highly committed to nature conservation. In 1961, he established the World Wildlife Fund (now the World Wide Fund for Nature), with the aim of conserving plant and animal species throughout the world. Prince Bernhard lost his wife, Princess Juliana, former Queen of the Netherlands just on March 20th of this year after a lengthy illness. Prince Bernhard died on December 1st, 2004, and was laid to rest next to his wife in the Royal Crypt of the House of Orange in Delft.
Her Royal Highness Princess Alice,
Duchess of Gloucester
The Imperial Ethiopia Homepages mark with saddness, the passing of H.R.H. Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester on October 29th, 2004. Her Royal Highness was 102, the oldest member of the British Royal Family in it's entire history. She died after a long battle with Alzheimers Disease. Princess Alice was born into the Scottish aristocracy on Christmas day in 1901, as Lady Alice Christabel Montagu-Douglas-Scott, daughter of Earl of Dalkieth (heir to the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensbury). Her mother was the daughter of the Earl of Bradford. Lady Alice was the couples 5th out of 8 children. Alice's birth took place in Montagu House, then her family's London residence. Her parents, after they became Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch and Queensbury, lived more sumptuously than many Kings and Presidents live today. Growing up, Lady Alice lived in palatial homes in Scotland and England, and with over 70 servants, but still managed to develop a sturdy down to earth character. She speant many years traveling. In 1929 Lady Alice left for an extended holiday in Kenya with her Uncle Francis and Aunt Eileen Scott. There she developed her talent as a water colourist, and living for a time in India, as well as making a hazardous trip into Afghanistan disguised as a man. In 1935, upon hearing of her father's failing health she returned to Britain, and became engaged to Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, third son of King George V. The Duke of Gloucester had attended the coronation of Emperor Haile Selassie in 1930. Sadly the Duke of Buccleuch, a close friend of King George V since childhood, died shortly after the engagement, and so the marriage took place in private - the Princesses Elizabeth (now the Queen) and Margaret Rose of York were bridesmaids - at Buckingham Palace. Princess Alice and Prince Henry were temperamentally well suited. Both disliked pomposity and most enjoyed country pursuits. At the beginning of their marriage it seemed as if the Prince would have every chance of fulfilling his ambition of a military career. However, with the abdication of his eldest brother Edward VIII, Prince Henry became Regent Apparent, and he and Princess Alice had to abandon his military career to take over public duties alongside the new King and Queen. Princess Alice had overnight, gone from being the dutiful wife of an officer to one of the principals in the state and the third ranking adult woman in the royal family after Queen Elizabeth (the late Queen-Mother) and Queen Mary. As Duchess of Gloucester she was patroness of many charitable organizations, made several foriegn visits, including one to Ethiopia in the late 1950's along with her husband. The Duke and Duchess moved to Australia for several years where the Duke served as Governor-General. They also represented Great Britain at the independence ceremonies of Malaysia. In 1965, driving back from Sir Winston Churchill's funeral, the Duke and Duchess suffered a serious car accident. At the time it was thought the Duchess was the more seriously hurt, with a broken arm and facial cuts requiring 57 stitches; but it was the Duke, superficially unharmed, who never seemed quite to recover from this accident, and by 1968 successive strokes had reduced him to a helpless invalid.Three years later, their elder son Prince William of Gloucester, was killed while piloting his aircraft in an air race. Then in 1974, Princess Alice was widowed upon the death of Prince Henry. Her younger son, Prince Richard succeed his father as Duke of Gloucester. She then began to use the style of H.R.H. Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, to distinguish her from H.R.H. the Duchess of Gloucester, wife of the present Duke. Princess Alice is said to have hated the idea of being refered to as the "Dowager Duchess of Gloucester" and so this style was created for her. Princess Alice, like her sister-in-law and fellow Scotswoman, the late Queen Mother, lived a very long life dedicated to service and duty. With the present Queen, Princess Alice was one of the two last surviving members of the Order of the Crown of India (just as her husband and the Duke of Windsor were the last Knights of St Patrick). She was the first ever Dame Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath (her ancestor, John, Duke of Montagu was the order's first ever Great Master), as well as a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order and of the British Empire. She also had the Grand Cross of the Order of St John of Jerusalem. Princess Alice Duchess of Gloucester was a great friend of Ethiopia, and particularly of the Imperial family. Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester was held in great respect and affection by the Imperial Family. The Imperial Ethiopia webpages offer our condolences to the Royal family and people of Great Britain.
His Beatitude Petros VII,
Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa
The Imperial Ethiopia Homepages mark with deep regret, the sudden death of His Beatitude the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Alexandria. The Patriarch was killed in a Helicopter crash on Saturday September 11th, 2004, on his way from Athens to the holy monastic community of Mt. Athos. Reports coming out of Thessaloniki confirmed that, in addition to Patriarch Petros, those who perished included His Eminence, Metropolitan Ireneos of Pilousiou; His Eminence, Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Carthage; His Grace, Bishop Nektarios of Madagascar; Archimandrites Arsenios and Kallistratos [Economou]; and Deacon Nektarios Kontogiorgos. The Patriarch's legal, technical, and press advisors were also among the dead, as were the Patriarch's brother and personal guard. Five crew members lost their lives in the crash as well. The Patriarchate of Alexandria and All Africa is the second highest ranking Patriarchal throne in the Eastern Orthodox Church (second only to the Patriarchate of Constantinople). Petros VII, was born in the village of Syghari, Cyprus on the 3rd of September 1949. At age 12, in 1962 he entered the Monastery of Mahaira, in Cyprus, as a novice.The same year he entered the Seminary of Apostle Barnabas of Cyprus, graduating in 1969. In August 15 of the same year, he was ordained Deacon by Suffragan Bishop of Constantias, Chrysostom. On December of 1970, he joined the ranks of clergy at the Patriarchate of Alexandria, and served his Beatitude the Patriarch of Alexandria as Deacon. In 1974 the Greek Ministry of Exteriors Department of Churches honored him with a scholarship and he attended the Athens School of Theology, from where he graduated in 1978. Upon his graduation from the Athens School of Theology, he was ordained Presbyter by order of his Beatitude the Patriarch of Alexandria at the time, Patriarch Nicholas VI. On the 6th of December 1978, he was elevated to Archmandrite in Cairo, Egypt, and he was assigned the responsibility of supervising the offices of the Patriarchal Council of Cairo.In October of 1980 he was assigned the responsibility of the newly erected Holy church of Panaghia the Pantanasa, in the northern suburbs of Johannesburg, and also was chosen as Archieratical Representative of the Metropolis of Ioannoupolis and Pretoria, South Africa. July 9, 1983 he was elected unanimously by the Holy Synod of the Patriarchate of Alexandria as Bishop of Babylon, and named Patriarchal Representative of Cairo. On June 14, 1990 he was appointed by Patriarch Parthenios III as Patriarchal Exarch of the Metropolis of Irinoupolis, until the position was filled on December 1, 1994. In November 1994, was named Metropolitan of Cameroon and Western Africa. In 1997, following the death of Patriarch Parthenios III, he was elected solemnly as Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and all Africa. His Beatitude, Petros VII was the 115th Patriarch of Alexandria in the Greek Orthodox succession to St. Mark (as opposed to the Coptic Succession to St. Mark which is separate). His Beatitude paid a pastoral visit to Ethiopia just this past May 2004, where he was recieved by Ethiopian Orthodox Patriarch Abune Paulos as well as the Greek Orthodox Metropolitan Archbishop Petros of Axum. May God rest the soul of his late Beatitude and all those who died with him, and provide comfort to his flock.
His Excellency, Ato Kifle Wodajo
The Imperial Ethiopia Homepages regretfully anounce the death of former Foriegn Minister of Ethiopia, Ato Kifle Wodajo while under medical care in South Africa at the age of 69 on Thursday March 29th, 2004. Kifle Wodajo was born in 1935 to his parents Negadras Wodajo Haile, and Woizero Mentewab Kifle in Addis Ababa. After attending the Ras Tafari Makonnen School and the University College of Addis Ababa (later Haile Selassie University and now Addis Ababa University), Ato Kifle traveled to the United States on an Imperial Scholarship to attend Wisconsin University. He recieved an MSE and later an MA in Law there. Ato Kifle returned to Ethiopia where he began a long and illustrous diplomatic carrer. He represented Ethiopia at the United Nations, and attended many and various International Conferences representing his country. When the Organization of African Unity was first set up and headquartered in Addis Ababa, Ato Kifle was installed as the Organization's Acting Secretary General until the first Secretary General was elected. Ato Kifle went on to serve as Ambassador to the United States, and Foriegn Minister of Ethiopia. Ato Kifle Wodajo went into exile in the United States during the Dergue era. He returned to his country upon the fall of the Dergue and was appointed as Chairman of the Commission which drafted the present Constitution of the Federal Republic of Ethiopia. Our condolences to the family of Ato Kifle Wedajo.
Woizero Altashe Shibiru
Widow of Fitawrari Desta Tona, Heir to the Former Ethiopian Kingdom of Wollaita
The Imperial Ethiopia Webpages learned with regret of the death of Woizero Altashe Shibiru, the widow of Fitawrari Desta Tona in Washington D.C. in March, 2004. Woizero Altashe's late husband was the heir to the old Kingdom of Wollaita, and a grandson of the last King (Kawa) of Wollaita, Tona. Wollaita's ruling family were given the rank of nobility within the Ethiopian Empire when Wolliata's status as an autonimous kingdom was ended in the late 1800's. Woizero Altashe was buried next to her late husband in the Washington D.C. area. Our condolences to the family of Woizero Altashe Shibiru.
Her Royal Highness Princess Juliana of the Netherlands
(Formerly Her Majesty Queen Juliana of the Netherlands)
The Imperial Ethiopia Homepages marks with sadness, the death on March 20th, 2004 of former Queen Juliana of the Netherlands at her Soestdijk Palace in Baarn. She was 95 years old. Born Princess Juliana Louise Emma Marie Wilhelmina of Orange-Nassau, she was the only child of Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands and her husband Prince Henrik (born Prince Heinrich of Mecklenburg-Schwerin). Princess Juliana entered public life upon reaching the age of 18 in 1927 when she was installed in the Council of State. She went on to study law, literature, religious history and hydraulics at Leiden University until 1930 when she began to undertake royal duties officially. In 1937 she married Prince Bernard of Lippe-Besterfeld. They would have four daughters, Queen Beatrix, Princess Irene, Princess Margriete and Princess Christina. In 1940, upon the Nazi invasion of the Netherlands, the royal family fled to London where Queen Wilhelmina set up a government in exile. Princess Juliana however settled with her family in Canada for the duration of the war. They all returned to the Netherlands upon the liberation of 1945. In 1948, upon her Golden Jubilee, Queen Wilhelmina abdicated the throne to concentrate on religious education, and Princess Juliana became Queen of the Netherlands. The Queen who said "Protocol is my enemy." abolished the curtsey and lived a very down to earth and regular life, often bycicling around the Haigue and Amsterdam and keeping the common touch in all she did. She worked very hard at her role, acting as a type of national ombudsman in disputes of various kinds, recieving foriegn heads of state and diplomats, and playing her role in the formation of governments. She presided over the independence celebrations of Indonesia, and Surinam and the Dutch Antilles became equal partners with the Netherlands within her kingdom. Queen Juliana made many visits around the world, and paid a state visit to Ethiopia in 1971 and was the guest of Emperor Haile Selassie, whom she also hosted in the Netherlands in 1958 during his state visit to European states that year. Queen Juliana was given the Chain of the Solomon's Seal by Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia during her state visit. In 1980, following her mother's example, Queen Juliana abdicated the throne in favor of her eldest child, Queen Beatrix, and relinquished her title of Queen, reverting to her old title of a Princess of Orange-Nassau. She is survived by her four daughters and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Our deepest condolences to the Royal Family and the People of the Netherlands.
Their Majesties the King and Queen of Spain and the Spanish Royal family
Attending the Memorial Mass
For the Victims of the Madrid Terrorist Attacks of March 11, 2004
The Imperial Ethiopia Homepages deplores the evil terrorist attacks that took place on March 11th, 2004 on the peaceful people of Madrid in which 190 people were killed and numerous others were injured. Bombs were set off on commuter trains killing and injuring scores of innocent people on their way to work. Our deepest condolences to the people of Spain.
His Eminence, Paulos Cardinal Tzadua
Cardinal Archbishop Emeritus of Addis Ababa
Primate of the Roman Catholic Church in Ethiopia and Eritrea
It is with deep regret that the Imperial Ethiopia Homepages marks the death of His Eminence, Paulos Cardinal Tzadua, the first Cardinal of the Catholic Church in Ethiopia. The Cardinal died on December 11th, 2003 at the age of 82. Paulos Tzadua was born in the district of Addi Fini, outside of Asmara, in the then Italian colony of Eritrea in 1921. As a young man, Paulos Tzadua followed many other pro-Ethiopian Eritreans and traveled to Ethiopia to further his education there. He decided to attend the Lazarist seminary set up in Chercher, in the Harrar governorate of. However, in 1936, he fled abroad when the Italians invaded and occupied Ethiopia. He returned to Ethiopia in 1941 following the liberation, and then returned to his native Eritrea and was ordained a priest in Asmara in 1944. As a priest, he joined the Roman Catholic mission in the Gurage territories of Ethiopia between 1946 and 1949. He then returned to Eritrea once more, and taught English while studying at the Liceo Ferdinando Martini in Asmara where he completed his studies in 1953. He then traveled to Milan on a scholarship to attend Sacred Heart University and majored in Political Science and Social Science. He went on to earn a doctorate of law at the same university. On March 1st, 1973, Pope Paul VI appointed Paulos Tzadua as Auxilary Bishop of Addis Ababa, and titular Bishop of Abila of Palistina. Then on the 24th of February 1977, Paulos Tzadua became Archbishop of Addis Ababa, in the midst of the horrors of the Red Terror. His fatherly leadership of Ethiopia's Catholic Church earned him the notice of Pope John Paul II, who named him a Cardinal on the 25th of May, 1985. Paulos Cardinal Tzadua became the primate of the Ge'ez Rite and Latin Rite Catholics of Ethiopia (and after 1991 of the newly Independent Eritrea as well). He was the very first and only Cardinal of the Church in Ethiopia. Paulos Cardinal Tzadua retired in 1998 and became Archbishop Emeritus of Addis Ababa. He was succeeded in his seat by Archbishop Berhane-Yesus Demerew Souraphel. His Eminence Cardinal Tzadua died on December 11th, 2003 at the age of 82 at his residence in the Vatican. Pope John Paul II, celebrated a funeral mass at St. Peter's Basilica on December 16th, for Paulos Cardinal Tzadua, which was attended by Ge'ez Rite and Latin Rite Catholic heirarchs from Ethiopia and Eritrea as well as much of the Vatican officialdom and diplomatic community. Our deepest condolences to the Roman Catholic Community in Ethiopia. May he rest in peace.
His Exellency, Dejazmatch Dr. Amaha Abera Kassa
It is with deep regret that the Imperial Ethiopia Homepages anounces the sudden death on December 6th, 2003, of His Exellency, Dejazmatch Amaha Abera Kassa. The Dejazmatch was in his seventies. Dejazmatch Amaha was the scion of three major lines of royal blood in Ethiopia. Dejazmatch Amha's father, Dejazmatch Abera Kassa, was the son of His Highness Leul Ras Kassa Hailu, Prince of Selale, Senior Prince of the House of Shewa, Senior Prince of the Blood, and President of the Crown Council for most of the reign of Emperor Haile Selassie. Ras Kassa himself was the decendent of the Shewan branch of the Imperial Solomonic dynasty on his mother's side, and the Zagwe dynasty on his father's side. Dejazmatch Abera and his brothers Dejazmatches Wondwossen and Asfaw Wossen Kassa assembled insurgent forces against the Fascist Italian occupation in 1936, and led a daring attempt to liberate Addis Ababa in 1937 that failed. They were tricked into surrendering, and then executed. Dejamatch Amaha's mother (wife of Dejazmatch Abera), Woizero-hoy Kebedech Seyoum was the daughter of the Prince of Tigre, His Highness Leul Ras Seyoum Mengesha, and a great-granddaughter of Emperor Yohannis IV. She became a great resistance fighter in her own right when she gathered up the remnants of her husbands army following his murder, and led them into battle against the Italian Fascist occupation forces in 14 battles before retreating into the British ruled Sudan. Following the liberation of Ethiopia in 1941, young Dejazmatch Amha returned to Ethiopia with his mother and brothers. He went on to study at Oxford, and later served the Imperial government in a variety of court positions in Ethiopia as well as diplomatic postings abroad. He served as acting governor of Gondar briefly and later represented Ethiopia in Yugoslavia and was ambassador to West Germany in the 1950's. Following the revolution and coup of 1974, the Dejazmatch was arrested as an aristocrat and a relative of the Imperial family and speant 8 years in prison. Following his release, he went into exile in the United States where he lived in New York City. The author of the Imperial Ethiopia Webpages was well aquainted with the Dejazmatch who generously shared with him his extensive knowledge of Ethiopian history and Imperial practices and customs. His Exellency is survived by a daughter and three grandchildren. A requiem service was held at the Medhane Alem Ethiopian Orthodox Church of Temple Hill Maryland outside of Washington D.C. on Friday December 12th, after which the body was flown to Ethiopia where he was buried. A memorial service was also held at the New York Medhane Alem Orthodox Church on Sunday December 14th where his Exellency was a congregation member during his exile. Our condolences to his family, and may God rest his soul.
Ethiopian Literary Giant, Dr. Hadis Alemayehu
The Imperial Ethiopia Webpages mark with deep regret, the death of a great Ethiopian man of letters, Dr. Hadis Alemayehu on December 6th, 2003. He was 94 years old. Hadis Alemayehu was born in 1909, in the Endor Kidane Miheret district of Debre Markos, Gojjam. He was the son of an Orthodox priest, Abba (father) Alemayehu Solomon, and his wife Woizero Desta Alemu. Young Hadis embarked on an ecclesiastic education from a very early age. He studied liturgical and spiritual subjects at the Gojjam monasteries of Debre Elias, Debre Worq, and Dima, after which he moved to Addis Ababa and enrolled at the Swedish Mission and later at the Ras Taffari Makonnen school for further secular studies. Ato Hadis was active in the resistance against the Italians. Following the liberation in 1941, Ato Hadis studied at Oxford University through the patronage of the Emperor, and then served in a number of official posts, most notably as Minister of Education. Hadis Alemayehu became a prominent author of many great Amharic works, but his most famous is the novel Fikir Iske Mekabir (Love to the Grave) which is about love accross the social class devide of Imperial Ethiopia, and is seen as a veiled criticism of it. He also wrote Wenjelegnaw Dagna (The Guilty Judge) and numerous other works, both published and unpublished. Hadis Alemayehu was awarded the Haile Selassie Trust Prize Medal, and the Gold Mercury Medal for his contribution to literature. He also recieved an honorary Doctorate from Addis Ababa University. His funeral was held at Holy Trinity Cathedral, and was attended by the Patriarch of the Orthodox Church, Abune Paulos, and numerous mourners. Our condolences to his family.
His Eminence, Abune Mattiwos
Former Ethiopian Orthodox Archbishop of Jerusalem
The Imperial Ethiopia Homepages announce with deep sadness, the death of His Eminence the former Ethiopian Archbishop of Jerusalem, Abune Mattiwos. His Eminence was among the first Bishops consecrated by Ethiopia's first native Patriarch Abune Baslios in 1953. Previous to becoming a Bishop, Abune Mattiwos served as Liqe Liqawint of Ba'eta Le Mariam Monastery in Addis Ababa, as well as several other prominent church postings. His Eminence began his clerical journey at the Monastery of Debre Libanos. In 1974, when the Dergue regime removed Emperor Haile Selassie I from his throne, and the Orthodox Church accepted this act, Abune Mattiwos from his diocese in Jerusalem issued a statement denouncing the coup, and accusing the members of the Holy Synod of violating their oaths of loyalty to the Emperor. He was recalled to Addis Ababa and confined to the Debre Libanos Monastery, as the Patriarch Abune Tewophilos and other Bishops were imprisoned. Abune Tewophilos was executed in 1977, and Abune Mattiwos remained in detention until the mid 1980's when he was released from his monastic detention. Abune Mattiwos served as the special advisor to the Patriarch Abune Tekle Haimanot until the Patriarch's death in 1988, and was suspected by the Communist regime of having steered the Patriarch into an increasingly adversarial relationship with their regime. Upon the election of Abune Merkorios as Patriarch in 1988, Abune Mattiwos found himself once more in disfavor, and he was ordered restricted to the role of presiding at the Church of the Savior (Mehane Alem) known as Miskea Hazunan, and endured many hardships in the later days of Communist rule in Ethiopia. Following the fall of the Dergue regime and the removal of Abune Merkorios as Patriarch, Abune Mattiwos was returned as Archbishop of Jerusalem by Patriarch Abune Paoulos in 1993, and served until 1998 when he returned to Ethiopia and retired due to his advancing age and deteriorating health. He was assigned the Ba'eta Le Mariam Monastery Church as his altar in Addis Ababa, and as such was the assisting cleric at the Funeral Mass of Emperor Haile Selassie I held by Abune Paulos when the Emperor was re-buried on November 5th, 2000. His Eminence was buried at the Debre Libanos Monastery. May he rest in peace.
Her Majesty Queen Mamohato Bereng Seeiso
Queen Mother of Lesotho
It is with regret that the Imperial Ethiopia Webpages marks the passing of Her Majesty Queen Mamohato Bereng Seeiso, the Queen Mother of Lesotho. Her Majesty died suddenly while attending church services at St. Cecilia's Roman Catholic Church outside Maseru, on September 6th. Her son, Principal Chief and Prince, Seeiso Bereng Seeiso said that she had suffered from a heart ailment for close to 20 years. Her Majesty was the widow of the late King Moshoeshoe II, and the mother of the present king of Lesotho, Letsie III. During several instances in which KIing Moshoeshoe was compelled to go into exile or to temporarily abdicate during his struggles with the dictatorial late Prime Minister Chief Jonathan, Queen Mamohato had often acted in the role of regent and carried out royal duties in a blameless and dignified manner. The present Prime Minister of Lesotho, Pakalitha Mosisili, said that during her life, the Queen Mother saved the country's monarchy when it was on the brink of collapse. Her late majesty was very active in programs to alleviate poverty and famine in Lesotho and throughout the region, and in programs geared towards the advancement of women. She was active in promoting cultural and traditional preservation as well. Her majesty the Queen Mother of Lesotho was buried after a state funeral, in the Roman Catholic Cemetery at St. Louis mission, at Matsieng, south of the captial, Maseru. Our condolences to the Royal Family and People of Lesotho.
Sir Wilfred Thesiger
Liberation Hero of Ethiopia and noted Explorer and Author
It is with great regret that the Imperial Ethiopia Homepages report the death on Sunday August 24th, of Sir Wilfred Thesiger in a retirement home in Coulsdon,Surry. He was 93 years old. Wilfred Patrick Thesiger was born June 3, 1910, at the British Embassy in Addis Ababa, where his father was the British minister at the court of Emperor Menelik II. The Thesigers established a firm friendship with a young prince of the Imperial house, Dejazmatch Taffari Makonnen, who would in 1917 become Ras Taffari Makonnen, Crown Prince of Ethiopia. The Thesigers returned to Britain in 1919 during the reign of Empress Zewditu, but it seems that the young Wilfred had already developed a taste for exploring and learning about cultures other than his own. After his father's early death, he attended Eton and Magdalen College, Oxford. In 1930, while still at Oxford, he returned to Addis Ababa to attend Taffari Makonnen's coronation as Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia at the Emperor's invitation. During this trip he decided to embark on a quest to find out what happened to the great Awash river of Ethiopia which did not empty into any sea. His exploration of the Danakil depression and the Afar lowlands inhabited by often hostile tribesmen resulted in his finding that the river evaporated in the great salt banks of Lake Abbe on the border with the French Somaliland Colony (modern day Republic of Djibouti). This established Wilfred Thesiger as a serious explorer. Also on this trip, he met and quarelled with Evlyn Waugh, the novelist, who did not regard the Ethiopian coronation, nor Africans in general with much respect, and who would later be a leading apologist for the fascist Italian invasion of Ethiopia. In 1934 Wilfred Thesiger joined the Sudan Political Service which was the joint British-Egyptian colonial authority that ruled the Sudan. With the outbreak of the Second World War, he joined the Sudan Defense Force and was a leading advisor to the Emperor of Ethiopia as he liberated his country with British assistance from Italian rule. In the 1940's and 1950's, Sir Wilfred Thesiger made a name for himself with his extensive explorations in the Arabaian Penninsula, and among the marsh Arabs of Iraq. In the 1960's he explored parts of Iran, and returned to Ethiopia in 1966 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the return of Emperor Haile Selassie to Addis Ababa. He then went to Yemen to accompany the royalist forces in their campaign, but left later that year when he became very disillusioned with the way politics in the Arabaian penninsula was turning out. In 1980 he settled down in Kenya to live with some members of the Samburu tribe, in a home with no running water or electricity. He returned to Britain in the mid-nineties. Sir Wilfred Thesiger was a great hero of Ethiopia's struggle against Fascist occupation and a firm friend of the Ethiopian people and an admirer of their culture. May he rest in peace.
Her Royal Highness, Isabelle de Orleans-Bragance
Countess of Paris
Titular Queen of France
The Imperial Ethiopia Hompages mark with regret, the death of Her Royal Highness Isabelle, Countess of Paris on Saturday, July 5th, 2003. The Countess was born in France in 1911. Her father was His Royal and Imperial Highness Prince Pedro de Orleans et Bragance, Comte d'Eu, son of Dona Isabel of Braganza, heiress and Princess Imperial of Brazil, and her husband, Gaston de Bourbon-Orleans, a younger son of King Louis Phillipe of the French. Thus the Countess was a great-granddaughter of Emperor Pedro II of Brazil as well as the last French King. Her mother Elizabeth was the daughter of Johann Wenzel, Count Dobrzensky von Dobrzenicz. Isabelle of Orleans-Bragance (Braganza Orleans) met her future husband the late Henri Count of Paris as a child (they were cousins as both were direct decendents of King Louis Phillipe and Queen Marie Amalie). Due to the fact that Henri was a direct heir to the throne of France, and French law at that time forbade his presence on French soil, the announcement of their marriage was made at the exiled French Royal family's home in Belgium. However, the French government of the day was not pleased with the prospect of a Royalist demonstration upon the marriage so close to home, and so it exerted pressure on Belgium to move the royal wedding elsewhere. Therefore, Isabelle de Orleans-Bragance married Henri de Bourbon-Orleans in Palermo Sicily in 1931, hosted by their relatives, the dethroned Bourbon-two-Scicilies family of Naples. 60,000 French Royalists payed their respects to the bride in the days before she departed from France for her wedding. After decades of living in exile in Belgium and Brazil, the French royal family were finally permitted to return to France in 1950 when the Law of Exclusion was revoked by the French Republic and the various heirs to the Houses of Bourbon and Bonapart were permitted to live in France once more. The Count and Countess of Paris were the parents of five sons and six daughters, including the current claimant, Prince Henri, Count of Paris and Duc de France. The Countess was widowed in 1999. The Countess of Paris was a prominent member of Parisian high society and was the author of some autobiographical and historic books. She was a respected and revered matriarchal figure in the both Royal House of France and the Imperial House of Brazil. Our condolences to the Royal family of France.
The Imperial Ethiopia Homepages regret to report the death of Mr. Peter William Hay on June 2nd, 2003. Peter Hay established Ethiopia's first national park, the Awash National Park. Mr. Hay was 70 years old, and died in Inverness, Scotland. Mr. Hay came to Africa at the age of 21 as an employee of British Locust Patrol. In 1968, he was employeed by the Imperial government of Ethiopia and established the Awash National Park. Mr. Hay wrote the book "One Long Safari" which was inspired by his experiences in Africa. He died after a long battle with cancer. Peter William Hay is survived by his widow Lorna, and his sons Douglas, Angus and Colin.
His Exelency, Lij Araya Abebe
The Imperial Ethiopia Homepage marks with sadness, the death of Lij Araya Abebe on May 10th, 2002. Lij Araya Abebe was a relative of the Imperial family, and prominent member of the Imperial court during the reign of Emperor Haile Selassie. He had a long and distinguished career in the diplomatic service. In the 1930's, he visited Japan as a member of the delegation of the Foriegn Minister, Blantangueta Hiruwi. Shortly thereafter, he became the focus of attempts to join the Imperial dynasties of Japan and Ethiopia closer together with the prospect of marriage between him and a Japanese noblewoman. Much promoted in Japan (and to a lesser extent in Ethiopia) as a marriage between an "Ethiopian Prince" and a "Japanese Princess", it caused some concern and comment in the European press, and particularly in Italy which was soon to invade Ethiopia. Nothing came of this Japanese match however, and Lij Araya eventually married Woizero Mulumebet Abebe, sister of Crown Princess (later Empress-in-Exile)Medferiashwork Abebe, and had a son, Lij Amde Araya. Lij Araya held a variety of posts in the Foriegn ministry and in the Imperial court over the years as well as diplomatic postings abroad. He served as Imperial ambassador to Greece shortly before the revolution in 1974. He lived in exile during the Dergue regime, mostly in the United States, and only returned to Ethiopia for the first time in 1997 for the burial of his brother-in-law, the exiled Emperor Amha Selassie. Lij Araya died peacefully in his sleep at his home in the Virginia suburbs of Washington D.C. Our condolences to the family of Lij Araya Abebe.
  • Click here for a Paper by Dr. J. Clark on the story of the Ethio-Japanese dynastic marriage project of the 1930'.

  • South African Freedom Fighter, Walter Sisulu
    (Shown here with his wife Albertina)
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepage regretfully announces the death on May 6th, 2003, of Walter Sisulu, long time freedom fighter of South Africa, and former deputy president of the ANC. Mr. Sisulu was born in 1912, the same year as the African National Congress (ANC). Walter Sisulu was a very active member of the congress, who devoted his life to the freedom of the Black people of the country and the abolishment of the Aparthied system imposed by the Afrikaner dominated White government of the day. In the 1940s, he recruited Nelson Mandela to become a member of the ANC. In 1949, Walter Sisulu played a key role in the founding of the Youth League of the ANC as well as its armed wing, Umkhonto We Sizwe. The ANC recieved political backing from the government of Emperor Haile Selassie and other independent governments around Africa, as well as military training in Ethiopia, and Walter Sisulu was part of the ANC leadership that fostered this close relationship. Together with Mandela, Sisulu was condemned to imprisonment, and spent 26 years of confinement at the infamous Robben Island prison. After he was released from prison, Sisulu briefly served as ANC's deputy president, but stepped down due to increasingly frail health. Walter Sisulu was the father figure of the ANC, and won the admiration and devotion of South Africans from every walk of life, and people across the African continent. Our condolences to the people of the Republic of South Africa and the Sisulu family.
    Prominent Ethiopian Artist Skunder Boghossian
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepages mark with regret, the death of prominent Ethiopian artist, Skunder Boghossian in Washington D.C. at the age of 66. Skunder Boghossian left an indelible mark on modern art in Ethiopia, and in the art world outside as well. Skunder (Alexander) Boghossian was born in Addis Ababa in 1937 to an Ethiopian mother and an Armenian father. At age 17 he was awarded an Imperial Scholarship to study at the St. Martin School of Art in London England. He went on to study and later teach at the Paris Académie de la Grande Chaumière and at the Ecole Superieure des Beaux Arts. In 1963 he was the first Ethiopian artist to sell works to the Musee d'Art Moderne. His associates in his Paris years included such luminaries as Gerard Sokoto of South Africa and Cuban surrealist Wilfredo Lam. Boghossian returned to Ethiopia in 1966 and remained only briefly till 1969. During this short 3 year stay, Skunder Boghossian made a profound impact on Ethiopian modern art, attracting a growing number of admirers of his work, and influencing the work of many up and coming young artists. In 1969, he accepted an offer to become artist in residence at Atlanta University, as well as resident instructor in sculpting, painting and African design at the Atlanta Center for Black Art, and departed for the United States. In 1974, Skunder Boghossian was invited to teach full time at Howard University in Washington D.C. which he did until he returned to painting full time in 2000. Skunder Boghossian was one of several Ethiopian artists whose works were featured in a special exhibition of Ethiopian artists at the Smithsonian institute in Washington D.C. that opened in late April 2003. Freinds who had stopped by his home to congradulate him on this show discovered him unconscious on May 4th, 2003, and he was later declared dead at Howard University Hospital. Our condolences to his family and friends.

    Her Imperial Highness Princess Tenagnework Haile Selassie of Ethiopia
    It is with great sadness that the Imperial Ethiopia Webpages announce that H.I.H. Princess Tenagnework of Ethiopia, matriarch of the Imperial Family, died at the age of 90 at Addis Ababa on Sunday April 6th, 2003. She was buried on Sunday April 13th in the Imperial Vault at Holy Trinity Cathedral.
  • Click here for Obituary of the late princess, and pictures of her funeral.

  • Dr. Sergew Hable Selassie
    The Imperial Ethiopian Homepages marks with sorrow, the death of Dr. Sergew Hable Selassie, who was among the foremost Ethiopian historians of his time. Born in 1929 to his father Merigueta (an Ethiopian ecclesiastical title of learning)Hable Selassie Zewdie and his wife Woizero Zewditu Desta. After recieving a traditional ecclesiastic education as a child at the Lideta Mariam Church (Church of the Birth of the Virgin), he went on to study at Holy Trinity Cathedral School from where he was sent to study in Greece for his secondary education. He earned a Bachelors in Theology from Athens University in 1957, and a Phd. in Ancient History from the University of Bonn in Germany in 1960. Dr. Sergew became a founding member of he faculty of the Department of History at Haile Selassie I University in 1961 (today's Addis Ababa University). He also taught Theology at Holy Trinity Theological College as well. Dr. Sergew earned an impressive international reputation through fellowships with The University of London, Harvard University, Princeton University, Heidelberg University and The University of Leiden. Dr. Sergew Hable Selassie was the author of several books on Ethiopian History that were the difinitive books in their respective subjects, such as his Bibliography of Ancient and Medieval History of Ethiopia, his biography of Emperor Menelik II, and his Dictionary of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. Dr. Sergew Hable Selassie died suddenly in Munich Germany on January 7th, 2003. Our heartfealt condolences to his family.
  • Click here for a memorial page dedicated to Dr. Sergew.

  • Her Late Highness, Princess Fadia of Egypt
    (Shown here at her wedding to Prince Orloff)
    The Imperial Ethiopian Homepages mark with regret the sudden death in Switzerland, on December 28th 2002, of Her Royal Highness Princess Fadia of Egypt, Princess Orloff. Princess Fadia was 59, and leaves behind her husband Prince Said (formerly Pierre) Orloff and two sons, Ali and Shamel Orloff. Princess Fadia was the youngest daughter of King Farouk of Egypt, and his first wife, Queen Farida. She is the sister of exiled King Ahmed Fuad of Egypt. Princess Fadia along with her elder sisters, Princesses Ferial and Fawzia, accompanied her father and her step-mother Queen Narriman into exile in Italy when the King was deposed in 1951. Her younger half brother Prince Ahmed Fuad was briefly declaired King of Egypt, but the entire family went into exile with the proclamation of a republic shortly thereafter. Queen Narriman later returned to Egypt and divorced former King Farouk. Princess Fadia settled in Switzerland and eventually married the Russian aristocrat Prince Pierre Orloff, who converted to Islam and was re-named Said Orloff. Princess Fadia worked for many years for the Swiss government as a translator. She was an avid horsewoman and artist as well. Two years ago, Princess Fadia joined her sisters Fawzia and Ferial in a lawsuit demanding that the Egyptian government return a palace and land in the Nile Delta to them, saying it's confiscation during the seizure of royal properties was illegal. Their reasoning was that this palace was given to their mother the late Queen Farida as part of her divorce settlement from King Farouk, and was thus her personal property and not royal property. Their court case ultimately failed however. Princess Fadia was buried next to her father in Cairo, and the expenses of transporting her remains from Switzerland to Egypt were paid for by the Egyptian government. Our condolences to the Royal family of Egypt and to the Orloff family.
    Her Late Highness Infanta Beatriz of Spain
    Princess Civatella-Cesi
    The Imperial Ethiopian webpages marks the death of Her Royal Highness Princess Beatriz de Bourbon y Battenburg Torlonia, Infanta of Spain and Princess Civitella-Cesi on Saturday November 23, 2002. Her Royal Highness was the aunt of King Juan Carlos of Spain. Princess Beatriz was born in 1909, the daughter of King Alfonso XIII of Spain and Queen Ena (formerly Princess Victoria Eugenia of Battenburg). Princess Beatriz was one of only 3 surviving great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria of Great Britain. Following the fall of the Spanish Monarchy in the 1930's, Beatriz accompanid her father into exile in Rome. Due to the separation between her parents the exiled King and Queen of Spain, she often acted as her father's hostess. While in Rome, the relinquishing of his rights to the throne by her brother, Don Jaime (because of his deaf/muteness) and the death of her other brother Don Alfonso (in an auto crash in Florida), Infanta Beatriz was briefly second in line to the Spanish throne after her brother, Don Juan Count of Barcelona (father of the present King of Spain). It is said that Princess Beatriz of Spain's intended marriage to Prince Alvaro of Bourbon-Orleans fell through largely because of fears that she might carry and pass on the hemophilia gene that affected two of her brothers, (and which they inherited from Queen Victoria as did several other royals of Europe). She would eventually marry Don Alessandro Torlonia, Prince of Civitella-Cesi. Because the Torlonias were a minor princely family, Princess Beatriz had to enter into a morganatic marriage with Prince Civitella-Cesi, which meant that she relinquished her rights to the Spanish throne, and that of her heirs. She lived in Rome for much of her life. She is survived by her four children, and her nephew the King of Spain, and other nephews and neices. Our condolences to the Royal family of Spain, and the Princely Torlonia family of Civitella-Cesi.
    His late Imperial Highness, Prince Takamado no Miya of Mikasa, Prince of Japan
    (shown here with his wife Princess Hisako)
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepages marks with sadness the sudden death on November 21st, 2002, of Prince Takamado of Japan. His Imperial Highness was 47 years old and was seventh in line to the Imperial Chrysanthemum Throne of Japan. Prince Takamado was the son of Prince Mikasa, the youngest brother of His Late Majesty Emperor Hirohito (Emperor Showa), and thus first cousin of the present Emperor of Japan, His Imperial Majesty Emperor Akihito. Prince Takamado was one of the present generation of Japanese Imperial family members who actively sought to bring the royals and the public closer together, and to bypass the wall of ceremonial that has surrounded the Japanese monarchy. The Prince was widely traveled representing the Emperor around Japan and Internationally as well. Prince Takamado wrote a magazine column for a while, and would frequently write a dance review for news papers. He was an enthusiastic cellist, and joined 1000 other cellists in a major concert to benefit the victims of the Kobe earthquake. He recently visited South Korea for the Opening ceremonies of the World Cup soccer matches that Japan and South Korea co-hosted. He was the first member of the Imperial family to visit Korea since World War II. The prince married Princess Hisako in 1984. For many years, Prince Takamado worked for the Japan Foundation, a government funded entity that promoted Japanese culture around the world. Prince Takamado was playing squash with the Canadian Ambassador to Japan when he suddenly collapsed. The cause of death is believed to be heart failure. He is survived by his widow, by his three daughters, Princesses Tsuguko, Noriko and Ayako, as well as his parents, Prince and Princess Mikassa, his brothers Princes Tomohito and Katsura, and his sisters the former Princesses Yasuko and Masako (both have relinquished their titles upon marriage). Our condolences to the Imperial family and the people of Japan.
    Her Late Majesty, Queen Geraldine of the Albanians
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepages marks the death of Her Majesty Queen Geraldine, widow of King Zog of the Albanians. She was 87 years old and died in Tirana Albania, on October 23rd, 2002. Born a Roman Catholic in Hungary as Countess Geraldine Nagy-Appony, she married the Muslim King Zog in April 1938, ten years after the former chieftan had siezed power and proclaimed himself King in Albania. Queen Geraldine retained and practiced her Catholic faith even though she had married a moslem monarch, a fact that caused contraversy in Albania and the Vatican. Almost exactly a year later, on the day following the birth of a son to King Zog and Queen Geraldine, in April 1939, the troops of Fascist Italy swept into their country and forced the Albanian Royals to flee. King Vittorio Emanuelle and Queen Ellena of Italy were proclaimed King and Queen of Albania in their place by Mussolini, much as he had proclaimed them Emperor and Empress of Ethiopia just 3 years earlier. Although the King of Italy repudiated his claims to the Albanian and Ethiopian thrones in 1943, unlike Ethiopia, the Albanian royals remained in exile as an extreme Stalinist Communist regime took hold of their country. King Zog died in Paris in 1961, and the Albanian royals would remain exiled for 60 years. Queen Geraldine only recently returned to Tirana for the first time since 1939. She will be buried in the Roman Catholic Cemetary in Tirana. She is survived by her son Leka of Albania. Our condolences to the Royal family of Albania.
    His Late Highness Prince Claus Von Amsberg, Prince Consort of the Netherlands
    Shown here with his wife, Her Majesty Queen Beatrix of Orange-Nassau,Queen of the Netherlands
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepage marks with sadness, the death of His Royal Highness, Prince Claus Von Amsberg, Prince Consort of the Netherlands. His Higness died of complications from Parkinsons disease. He was 76. Prince Claus was born in Dotzingen in northern Germanmy in 1926 into the upper German aristocracy. He spent considerable time at his family estate in modern day Tanzania when he was growing up. Prince Claus like many young German boys of his time and class, was inducted into the Hitler Youth. In 1944, fresh out of school, he joined the Army and was stationed briefly in Denmark and Italy, where he was captured and put in a prisoner of war camp. He later joined the West German diplomatic corps, and as a young diplomat met the then Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands on a ski holiday. Although the Beatrix's parents, former Queen Juliana and Prince Behrnard both approved, the wider Dutch population was unhappy at the choice of a German consort for their future queen, especially a German Prince who had been a member of the Hitler Youth and served in the German Army. Their wedding day in 1966 was marred by street protests and smoke bombs, even though the Prince denounced the Nazi regime and fascism. However, Prince Claus persistently courted public favor by learning flawless Dutch, involving himself in development in the Third World, and behaving in a very down to earth and simple manner that soon endeared him to the public. Prince Claus fathered the first male heir to the throne of the Netherlands in 100 years, Crown Prince Willem Alexander, as well as two younger princes, Prince Johan Friso and Prince Constantjin. Our condolences to the Queen, the Royal family, and to the people of the Netherlands.
    Her Late Majesty, Queen Homaira Shah of Afghanistan
    Shown here with King Mohammed Zahir Shah
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepage marks with saddness, the death of Her Majesty the Queen of Afghanistan on June 27th, 2002 in Rome Italy. Her Majesty was 84. Queen Homaira Zahir Shah was married in her teens, to her cousin, King Mohammed Zahir Shah of Afghanistan. They had 9 children. The King was in Rome in 1973 for eye surgery, when his brother-in-law, Mohammed Daoud (husband of the kings sister) deposed him and assumed the presedency of Afghanistan. The Royal couple lived quietly in Rome during the many years of upheaval and war in their native land. King Mohammed Zahir Shah returned to his country earlier this year to open and preside over a "Loya Jirga" or grand assembly to establish a transitional government for his country. Due to ill health, the Queen had to postpone her return, and sadly died before setting eyes on her homeland. Her body was returned to Kabul on Sunday, June 30th, and the government accorded her a full state funeral, attended by the current and past presidents of Afghanistan as well as by the royal family. Queen Homaira is survived by her husband and 7 of her 9 children as well as many grandchildren. Our condolences to the Royal family and the people of Afghanistan.
    Princess Liliane, Princess de Rethy
    The Imperial Ethiopia Webpages mark the death on 7 June, 2002, of Her Highness, Princess Liliane, the Princess de Rethy. She was the widow of the late King Leopold III of Belgium. Born Mary Liliane Baels in London in 1916, she had married, King Léopold III of the Belgians in 1941. King Leopold had been previously married to Queen Astrid (formerly Princess Astrid of Sweden) who had died in an automobile accident in 1936. This second marriage was considered morganatic, at least to the extent that Liliane never became Queen, but she was granted the title of Princess de Rethy by the King. King Leopold was faced with vast public opposition due to his percieved aquiecence to the Nazi occupation of Belgium, and so he was compelled to abdicate in favor of his son, the late King Bouduin. Princess Liliane is survived by a son, Prince Alexandre of the Belgians, and two daughters, Princesses Marie-Christine and Esmeralda, as well as her stepchildren, King Albert II of the Belgians and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxemburg. Our condolences to the Royal Family and people of Belgium.
    His late Excellency, Maj. General Nega Tegegne
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepage marks with sadness, the death of Major General Nega Tegegne in London. General Nega was the husband of Her Highness, Princess Hirut Desta, daughter of Her Imperial Highness Princess Tenagnework, and granddaughter of Emperor Haile Selassie I. Nega Tegegne recieved his military training at the Imperial Guard Acadamy at Holeta, later served with the Ethiopian troops that joined the United Nations Forces in Korea during the Korean war of 1951 to 1953. He took further military training at the Wellington Staff College in India, and then took part in the command of the Ethiopian troops under General Wolde Yohannis Shita and later General Kebede Gebre in the Congo in 1960-1963. In 1963, during the first Ogaden war with Somalia, the then Colonel Nega Tegegne served as military administrator of the southern Ogaden district. He then served as a military representative to the Organization of African working in Angola, and then represented the O.A.U. again when the United Nations investigated charges of atrocities commited in the Biafran war in Nigeria in 1967. He went on for advanced military studies at the Royal College of Defence Studies in Britain between 1969 and 1971 when he returned to Ethiopia to take up command of the 3rd Army division in southern Ethiopia as Major General. In 1974, the new government of Prime Minister Endalkatchew Makonnen appointed him Governor-general of the Province of Beghemidir and Simien (known today as Gondar Province) during the period of upheaval shortly before the fall of the monarchy. Following the fall of Emperor Haile Selassie, General Nega helped to found the Ethiopian Democratic Union (E.D.U.)which was the first resistance movement to take up arms against the Dergue regime. His wife Princess Hirut (Ruth) was imprissoned by the Dergue regime for 14 years, and was only released in 1988. He commanded E.D.U. forces from the Sudan that came close to capturing the city of Gondar in 1976-77 with the aim of restoring a constitutional monarchy in Ethiopia. However, disagreements among the leadership of the E.D.U. caused the party to fracture and weaken, and ultimately retreat militarily, and General Nega left the party. General Nega was very active in the emigre community in London, aggitating for freedom in Ethiopia for decades. He was an active campaigner for Ethiopian unity, voicing opposition to the separation of Eritrea from Ethiopia, and condemning the ethnic policies of the EPRDF government following the fall of the Dergue in 1991. Our condolences to the family of General Nega Tegegne. Ethiopia has lost yet another great figure from her illustrous past. May he rest in peace.
    Ethiopian Olympic Legend, Mammo Wolde
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepage marks with sadness, the death of Olympic hero, Sergeant Mammo Wolde, at the age of 70 at his home in Addis Ababa on May 26th, 2002. Mammo Wolde had been suffering from various liver and bronchial ailments. Born Degaga Wolde to an Oromo farming family, Mammo was orphaned at a very young age. He joined the Ethiopian army, and from there, was recruited into the elite Imperial Guard of Emperor Haile Selassie. While a member of the guard, he started to train for international athletics events along with other young guards including the legendary Abebe Bekila who was his training partner. Mammo Wolde competed at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, in the 800m and 1500m, but finished last in the heats. In 1960, his friend and hero, Abebe Bekila won the gold medal for the 1960 Rome Olympic marathon while running barefoot which greatly encouraged Mammo. He joined Abebe Bekila in running the marathon at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, which Abebe Bekila won, and also ran the 10,000 as well, but he remained without a medal. Then in th 1968 Olympics in Mexico city, Abebe Bekila and Mammo Wolde ran together again. This time, Abebe Bekila was nursing an injured leg, and soon after the race started, he was forced to drop into a walk. Mammo Wolde took the lead early and maintained it, winning the race in 2hrs, 20min, and 26.4secs. He had completed his victory lap around the Olympic stadium before the silver medalist from Japan entered the stadium. When asked how it felt to finally win gold and come out from Abebe Bekila's shadow by reporters following his victory, Mammo Wolde modestly replied "Oh the only reason I won was because Abebe was hurt, I would never have won otherwise." At these same Olympics, Mammo Wolde won a silver medal in the 10,000m, and would go on to win a bronze medal at the Munich Olympics of 1972 in the marathon. Upon the revolution of 1974 and the fall of the Emperor, the Imperial Guard was disbanded, and Sergeant Mammo Wolde was re-assigned back into the Army. Thus he was in the Army when in 1977, the Red Terror was unleashed by the Communist Dergue dictatorship on it's opponents. In this capacity, Mammo Wolde was involved in an incident that ended with the execution of a young teenager for counter-revolutionary activities. Upon the fall of the Dergue regime in 1991, the new Transitional government of the EPRDF arrested Mammo Wolde for involvement in the Red Terror attrocities of the fallen regime, and the particular murder of this youth. Mammo Wolde was accused of personally executing this boy, but he maintained his innocence saying that he had been ordered to the scene as a military officer, and had witnessed the execution, but had not fired the gun or known what the reason for the summary execution was. After remaining in custody for 9 years, the courts sentenced him to 6 years in prison, which meant that he was immediately released because he had served more time than his sentence. The sentence indicates that the court had concluded that Mammo Wolde had played a lesser role in the events than had been originally charged. The details of the events which caused his imprisonment remain murky and unclear, and seriously stained his once golden image. While in prison, he suffered bronchitis and complained of liver ailments, which worsened after his release. He continued to maintain his innocence, but also stated that he bore no bitterness over his imprisonment. Mammo Wolde was buried at Addis Ababa's St. Joseph cemetary, next to his freind and hero, Abebe Bekila. His coffin was escorted by Ethiopia's elite track-and-field stars, including Olympian medalists such as Haile Gebre Selassie, and Derartu Tulu, all wearing their Olympic uniforms. Crowds of thousands thronged the cemetary to pay their respects. Our condolences to the widow and family of the late great Olympic medalist.
    Former First Lady of Botswana, Lady Ruth Khama
    Shown here with her Husband, Sir Seretse Khama, President of Botswana
    The Imperial Ethiopia Home Page marks with sadness, the death on May 23rd, 2002, of Lady Ruth Khama, former First Lady of the Republic of Botswana and widow of it's founding President, Sir Seretse Khama. She was 79, and died after a long battle with cancer. Born Ruth Williams, the daughter of a businessman from Croyden England, she met and fell in love with Seretse Khama and married him in London in 1948 causing an immediate crisis for several governments. Seretse Khama was the heir to the throne of the Chiefs of the Bamangwato people of Bechuanaland, a British Protectorate bordering South Africa. With the recent legal institution of Apartheid in South Africa, and the de-facto segregation of the races in all of the British Empire, both the colonial administration in Bechuanaland and the Government of South Africa were scandalized and fought hard to prevent the marriage between a black chief and an white woman. The South African government exerted pressure on the British government of Clement Atlee to prevent the marriage from taking place, promising to embargo gold and uranium from the British and to annex Bechuanaland to South Africa, going so far as to pressure the Bishop of London to prevent the wedding from taking place. The British themselves were not keen on the Chief of the Bamangwato returning to Africa and parading his white consort before the tribes either. The British and South African governments were not the only parties scandalized by the marriage. The Regent of the Bamangwato, Tshekedi Khama, uncle of the yet to be enthroned Seretse also was horrified that his nephew was not only marrying out of his country, but out of his race. He believed that Seretse had a duty to marry whoever his family elders chose for him to wed in the interests of his throne and his people. A white English former secretary was not Tshekedi's idea of an appropriate wife for the Paramount Chief of his people. He tried to prevail on his nephew to abandon this marriage which the regent feared would anger many of Seretse's future subjects. However, Seretse Khama married Ruth Williams in a registry office in Kensington in 1948, hoping to settle the frenzy once and for all. Instead pressure was now exerted to get them to divorce, which they refused to do. Seretse Khama was exiled by the British Colonial authorities from Bechuanaland in 1950 and prevented from returning due to his refusal to divorce Ruth, as South Africa had made clear it would annex Bechuanaland if the British alowed Seretse Khama and Ruth Khama to return. The Khamas were only allowed to return in 1956, when Seretse Khama agreed to abdicate the thone of the Bamangwato. Upon his return to Bechuanaland in 1956, he formed the Democratic Party and began to agitate for independence. In 1966, Bechuanaland achieved independence as the Republic of Botswana, and Seretse Khama became it's founding President. He was knighted that same year by Queen Elizabeth II, becomeing Sir Sretse Khama, and his wife becoming Lady Ruth Khama, affectionately know as "Lady K" in her new country. Lady Khama earned the respect and affection of the people of Botswana with her cheerful attitude and her devotion to the welfare of the people. President Khama died in 1980, but Lady Ruth continued to live in Botswana, playing an active role in promoting womens rights, and working with the Botswana Red Cross and Girl Guides both of which she founded, as well as various childrens and HIV/AIDS related charities. She is survived by her children, the current Paramount Chief ot the Bamangwato, General Seretse "Ian" Khama, who is also the current Vice-President of the Republic of Botswana, her twin sons Tshekedi Khama and Anthony Khama, as well as her eldest child, Jacqueline Khama. Our deep condolences to the people of Botswana and the Khama family.
    Sir John G. Gorton, former Prime Minister of Australia
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepages mark with sadness, the death on Sunday, May 19th, of Sir John G. Gorton, Prime Minister of Australia from 1968 until 1971. Sir John was a man of remarkable achievement and unusual background for someone in a leadership position. John Gorton was born out of wedlock in 1911 to the daughter of a railroad worker. His father was a wealthy and prominent businessman. Later, John Groton would go on to attend Oxford University in Great Britain. He entered the Royal Australian Airforce in 1940 and saw action in the United Kingdom and in South Asia, where he was badly wounded and scarred in a airoplane crash near Singapore in 1942. Only weeks later, he almost died again when the evacuation ship he was on was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine. He returned to Australia a war hero, and settled down to married life on a farm. However, he soon entered politics and was elected to the Senate in 1949. He unexpectedly became Prime Minister of Australia upon the death of Prime Minister Holt in 1968. That same year, Prime Minister Gorton hosted Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia, when His Imperial Majesty paid a state visit to Australia. In 1971, a no-confidence vote was held against him in parliament that ended in a tie. The prime minister held the tie breaking vote. However, Prime Minister Gorton did the unexpected and voted against himself and relinquished power, suprising everyone. He retired from politics completely in 1972. He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 1977 during her Silver Jubilee year, and died in her Golden Jubilee year. Our condolences to the people of Australia and to the Gorton family.
    Her Majesty the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother
    The Imperial Ethiopia Webpages mark with sadness, the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the last living Empress of India. Her Majesty was 101 years old. Born in London on August 4th, 1900, as Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, to Lord and Lady Glamis, she was the second youngest of 9 children. Her parents were members of the Scotish aristocracy and decendents of King Robert the Bruce of Scotland. Lady Elizabeth grew up partly at Glamis castle which is the setting for Shakespeare's play "Macbeth", and partly in London. When she was 4 years old, her parents inherited the titles of Earl and Countess of Strathmore and Kinghorne. In 1923, she married Prince Albert, the second son of King George V, and the couple became Duke and Duchess of York. They had two daughters, Princess Elizabeth (Presently Queen Elizabeth II) and Princess Margaret Rose. Then, in 1936, in a major constitutional crisis, King Edward VIII decided to abdicate the throne in order to marry a divorced American commoner, leaving the throne to his unprepared brother the Duke of York. Prince Albert then took the throne name of King George VI, and his wife became Queen Elizabeth. The new Queen was instrumental in helping the shy new King adjust and then excell at his new role, and shape the modern British monarchy. The King and Queen helped the country recover from the abdication crisis, and then through the horrors and trials of the Second World War. The monarchs visited the bombed sections of London during the blitz, and the queen refused to be evacuated from London choosing to share in the harships with the people. Emensely popular from that time, Queen Elizabeth was widowed at the age of 51, when her husband George VI died of cancer. She continued to play a major role in the activities of the Royal family as Queen Mother, and was one of it's most popular members, right up to the year of her death. Her Majesty was also the last living Empress of India, as that country achieved independence from the British Empire during the reign of her husband. She was also the only truely Scottish Queen in the past 400 years. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother died peacefully in her sleep on March 30th, 2002. Our deepest condolences to the Royal family of the United Kingdom, and the people of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the Commonwealth.
    The Imperial Ethiopia Webpages mark with sadness the brutal murder of His Majesty, King Yakubu Andani II of the Dagomba people of Ghana, along with at least 25 other people in riots in northern Ghana during the week of March 24-30, 2002. The King of the Dagomba people is second in presidence among the chiefs of Ghana after the King of the Ashanti. Days of disorder were caused by disputes between various clans of the Dagomba and have caused the President of the Republic of Ghana to declare a state of emergency. Reports originally stated that the king had been beheaded, but a statement released by his brother indicates that the king was shot to death. The palace of the King of the Dagomba has also been burned to the ground. Our condolences to the family of the king and to the Dagomba people, along with our prayers for peace in that troubled area.
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepage announces with great sadness, the death of His Exellency, Betwoded Zewde Gebre Hiwot, former President of the Imperial Parliament of Ethiopia. His Exellency died on February 14, 2002, at the age of ninty. The Bitwoded served the Ethiopian Empire in a variety of positions. He served as a soldier in the resistance against the Italians, as an administrator, a diplomat, and a minister in the Imperial government. He is probably best remembered however as a former Lord Mayor of Addis Ababa, and was often refered to as "Kentiba Zewde". He was President of the House of Deputies, the lower house in the Imperial Parliament at the time of the 1974 revolution, and spent many years in exile in the United States during Communist rule. Betwoded Zewde returned to Ethiopia upon the fall of the Derg regime, and became active in the Haile Selassie I Memorial Foundation and headed the committee that organized the long overdue funeral of the Emperor held in November of 2000. The Imperial Ethiopia webpage salutes this truely great Ethiopian, and expresses it's heartfelt condolences to the family of the late Bitwoded.
    Her Royal Highness the late Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdown
    The Imperial Ethiopia Webpage marks with saddness, the death of Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdown, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Princess Margaret Rose was born in 1930. She was the daughter of the then Albert Duke of York (King George VI) and his wife the then Duchess fo York (Queen Elizabeth, later Queen-mother of the United Kingdom). She was the sister of Queen Elizabeth II. Princess Margaret was a cosmopolitan woman of elegant tastes who was a patroness of the arts in the United Kingdom. She was married to Anthony Armstrong-Jones, who was created the Earl of Snowdown, which made her Countess Snowdown. The marriage would eventually end in divorce. The Earl and Her Royal Highness were the parents of a son, David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley, and a daughter, Lady Sarah Chato. They have several grandchildren. In recent years, the Princess has been in failing health due to a series of strokes. The Princess died on Saturday, February 9th, 2002, just a few days after the 50th anniversary of the death of her father George VI, and the Golden Jubilee of her sister Elizabeth II's accession to the throne. Our condolences to the people and the Royal family of the United Kingdom.
    The late Leopold Sedar Senghor
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepage marks with sadness, the death on December 21, 2001, in Paris France, of the founding President of the Republic of Senegal, His Excelency the Honorable Leopold Sedar Senghor. The late President Senghor was 95 years old. Leopold Sedar Senghor became the first President of the independent Senegal in 1960. He was among the generation of independence era leaders that were the pioneers of African Unity, and that only today are recieving their just tribute as founding fathers and giants of African history. President Senghor was also a rarity in Africa, in that he voluntarily relinquished power. He stepped down from the Presidency in 1980, and was succeeded by his then Prime Minister, President Abdu Diouf. This was the precedent for the peaceful transfer of power following the elections of 2000, to the former long time opposition leader, the current President Abdoulaye Wade. It says much about Senegal and of President Senghor, that his long time advesary President Wade paid tribute to him and spoke of his own great admiration for the man even though they had been political opponents. President Senghor was also a giant in a field other that politics. He is generally regarded as one of the great African poets. Our heartfelt condolences to the people of Senegal and the family of the late president. Africa has lost a great elder.
    His Majesty the Late King of Malaysia, Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah
    (pictured here with his Queen, Tuanku Siti Aishah)
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepages marks with sadness, the passing of His Majesty the King of Malaysia, and Sultan of Selangor, Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah on November 21, 2001. The King died of complications from having a pacemaker installed due to heart ailments three months ago. His Majesty was 75. Sultan Salahuddin succeeded his father as Sultan of Selangor in 1960. Under the unique Malay constitution, the five sultans of the five states that make up the Federation of Malaysia take turns as King for terms of five years each. The King had begun his current term in 1999. With his death, his eldest son succeeds him as Sultan of Selangor, but the throne of Malaysia will be filled following a meeting of the five sultans who will decide who will finish the term of the late king. His Majesty is survived by his widow, Her Majesty Queen Tuanku Siti Aishah (married in 1990), 10 sons and 4 daughters from 4 marriages. Our condolences to the people of Malaysia and the royal family of Selangor.
    H.I.H. the late Princess Soraya Esfandiari Bakhtiari
    Former Empress of Iran
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepage marks with sadness, the passing of Her Imperial Highness, Princess Soraya Esfandiari Bakhtiari, former Empress of Iran. Princess Soraya was the second wife of Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, whom she married in February 1951 after his divorce from his first wife, Princess Fawzia of Egypt. The Shah of Iran divorced Soraya in 1958 very reluctantly due to the fact that she was unable to bear children. Following her divorce, she was granted the title of "Imperial Princess". The both the Shah and his ex-Empress were said to be distraught at the need for divorce, but recognized the need for an heir to the dynasty. The Shah was later remarried to Her Imperial Majesty the Empress Farah Diba, but Princess Soraya never remarried. Princess Soraya's father was a member of the powerful Bakhtiar family of Iran, and her mother was of German origin. She moved to Europe following her divorce which was largely amicable, and died in Paris. Princess Soraya wrote the autobiographical book "Le Palais des Solitudes". She was the inspiration of the French song "Je Veux Pleurer Comme Soraya" written by songwriter Francoise Mallet-Joris. She was buried in Cologne Germany following a funeral in Paris attended by Iranian exiles and her many European friends.
    Queen Modjadji V of the Lobedu
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepage marks with sadness, the passing of Her Majesty Queen Modjadji V of the Lobedu people. Her Majesty was the only reigning queen in Africa, and was the heiress to the only surviving monarchy which passed strictly in the female line. The Queens of the Lobedu were said to be "rain makers" in southern Africa, and as such, the Lobedu were never attacked by other tribes. Her Majesty died of kidney and heart failure on June 28th, 2001 at the age of 64, in South Africa. Her daughter, Makhaele Modjadji died only a week earlier at age 20.
    H.I.H. the late Princess Leila of Iran
    The Imperial Ethiopia Home Page Marks with deep sadness, the sudden and untimely death of Her Imperial Highness, Princess Leila Pahlavi of Iran. Her Imperial Highness was the youngest child of the late Shah, H.I.M. Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, and H.I.M. Empress Farah Diba Pahlavi. Shah Mohammed Reza ruled Iran from 1941 to 1979 before going into exile due to the Islamic revolution there. The princess was found deceased in her hotel room bed in London, on Sunday June 10th, 2001. No suspicious circumstances were found, and a post-mortem was inconclusive. Her death has been classified as "unexplained" by Scotland Yard. Empress Farah has released a statement revealing that her daughter had been depressed for years ever since being drivin into exile by the Iranian revolution at a young age. Crown Prince Reza of Iran also released a statement announcing the death of his sister "after a lengthy illness". No other details were specified. The Princess was to be buried next to her maternal grandmother in Paris. She was 31 years old, and was unmarried. She is survived by her mother, her brother, a second brother, Prince Ali, and a sister Princess Farahnaz. She is also survived by her eldest half-sister, Princess Shahnaz, whose mother was the Shah's first wife, Princess Fawzia of Egypt.
    The Late Royal Family of Nepal
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepage marks with shock and saddness, the massacre of the Royal family of Nepal on the evening of Friday June 1st, 2001. In shocking circumstances, His Majesty King Birendra, his Queen and his two younger children were killed on June 1st, along with the Kings sister and other relatives, apparently by Crown Prince Dipendra who then shot himself. The Crown Prince (briefly King)Dipendra died on Monday June 4th after being in a coma, and king Birendra's youngest brother died late Tuesday June 5th. Most of the Royal family of Nepal has been killed. The late king Birendra's surviving brother has assumed the throne of the Shah dynasty. Other members of the extended family remained hospitalized with various injuries, including the new Queen. The Imperial Ethiopia Homepage salutes the late king for his role in bringing democracy to his Kingdom and for his many contributions to his homeland. He earned the great respect and love of his people which was evidenced by the emotional days that followed his death. Our condolences to the people and royal family of Nepal.
    Her Majesty, Marie Jose of Savoy
    Queen of Italy
    The Imperial Ethiopia Homepage marks the passing of Her Majesty, Maria Jose, Queen of Italy on January 27th, 2001. The Queen was 94 years old, and died of lung problems in Geneva Switzerland. The Queen was born Princess Marie Josephine de Saxe-Coburg, daughter of King Albert I and Queen Elizabeth of Belgium. She was thus sister to King Leopold III and aunt to both the late King Boudoin and the present King Albert II of Belgium as well as Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg. She was married to Crown Prince Umberto of Italy in 1930. Upon the Fascist occupation of Ethiopia and Albania, her father-in-law, King Victor Emanuelle III, was proclaimed Emperor of Ethiopia and King of Albania. Therefore her husband Prince Umberto was briefly titled as heir to those thrones as well. However, following the collapse of the fascist regime, and his renunciation of the usurped Ethiopian and Albanian titles, King Victor Emanuelle retained only his Italian title in 1946 when he abdicated. Marie Jose then became Queen of Italy in 1946 upon the succession of her husband King Umberto II. Only one month later, the new King and Queen went into exile in Switzerland and the monarchy was abolished by a referendum due to the cooperation that the royal family had rendered to the fascist regime of Benito Mussolini. The results of the referendum have often been questioned by Italian monarchists. Queen Marie Jose was widowed in 1983 upon the death of King Umberto II. The Queen was buried at the Hautcombe Abbey in France next to her husband. A memorial service was also held for the Queen at the Pantheon in Rome by Italian royalists.
    On September 11th, 2001, terrorist hijackers siezed control of four airliners, two bound from Boston to Los Angeles, one bound from Newark to San Fransisco, and one bound from Washington D.C. to Los Angeles and commited one of the single worst acts of mass murder in modern history. The aircraft were crashed into the twin towers of New York City's World Trade Center, the Pentagon, headquarters of the United States Armed forces, and a remote field in Pennsylvania. Hundreds of passengers on the aircraft and thousands on the ground were killed, and the world was horrified. The webmaster of the Imperial Ethiopia Websites is a resident of New York City and is an eye witness to the second airliner crashing into the second tower as the first one burned. Two Ethiopians were lost at the World Trade Center, and one aboard the Airliner that was crashed into the Pentagon. The horror of this evil act will live in the memory of the world as an act of supreme evil can can only have been inspired by evil minds. Our heartfealt condolences to those who have lost loved ones in this horrible act, and our fervent prayers for those who are missing and their families.