Site hosted by Build your free website today!
THe following photos are from the Carlisle Barracks, US Army Military History Institute, unless otherwise noted. Via check out their site as they have a good many more 76th NYSV photos. Private William Wright, Co. E Photo from eBay listing selling CDV
Pvt. George W. Smith, Co. F Carlisle Barracks photo RG985 CWP113.95
Corp. Jacob J. Reese, Co. H Pvt. Matthew Cowlin, Co. A
Notes on NYS jackets, this article was emailed to me by Chris Daley.
The New York Jacket

By Robert A. Braun
The exciting, gaudy uniforms that so typified the first anxious months of the American Civil War often gave way to simpler, more practical garments that still lent a measured air of distinction to their wearers. One of the longer- lived examples was the natty jacket worn by the infantrymen of the State of New York.
Adopted in April, 1861, the "New York jacket" was a short close-fitting affair that consisted of a six piece body and tube-style sleeves of dark blue wool. The short standing collar fastened with a hook-and-eye and was piped in either light or medium blue cording. Shoulder straps (to hold thecartridge box sling and other equipment straps secure) were similarly piped, as was a left-side belt keeper. These features were secured by small New York State seal buttons. New York jackets were commonly manufactured with eight button fronts, but varients are known. Several seven button fronts (apparently tailored for smaller soldiers) and one nine button front jacket are seen in period images. <
Internally, most jackets were half- lined only in the breast with brown polished cotton stiflened with burlap. The three back seams were reinforced inside the jacket by covering them with dark colored twill tape sewn in by hand. There being no internal breast pocket, some contractors (and doubtless many soldiers) added an angled external left breast "slash" pocket usually lined in brown polished cotton. This pocket was large enough to accommodate a pocket diary or small testament, typical of the period. Gallery images frequently show the pocket stuffed with a large light- colored handkerchief.
The sleeves were double stitched about the cuff and lined with white muslin. Though the cuff was "non- functional"--that is, it could not be unbuttoned, as a frock coat cuff could--two small state seal buttons were sewn on anyway, serving as a purely decorative device.
The large number of New York State seal buttons used on this jacket leads the author to conclude that they were the source for the vast majority of NYS buttons found as relics on many Eastern battlefields. There is no available evidence that supports a currently-held theory that these buttons were used on sack coats issued by the state. Contractors made a distinction between the various uniform coats and jackets their firms manufactured, so it is reasonable to conclude that sack coats, frock coats, and shell jackets were produced according to Federal specifications, while the New York jackets were made up according to New York State regulations.
State contractors known to have produced the jackets include: Devlin, Hudson, & Co., NY, NY, P.V. Kellogg & Co., Utica, NY, Murphy and Childs, 50 Dey Street, NY, NY, Brooks Brothers, NY, NY. The jackets appear to have been manufactured in two styles: a circa 1861 style that featured a thick, sky blue piping, and a later model in a thin, medium blue (almost a blue-green) piping--the latter being the most common.
Although the jackets were issued to regiments doubtless according to availability, the record of the New York State Quartermaster issues shows that it was available and issued to roughly every other, in some cases, every third new volunteer New York State infantry regiment. The jacket served as their dress coat (in lieu of a frock coat), and continued to be issued as either part of the initial issue or replacement at least as late as the end of September, 1862.
How late was the jacket worn? Though difficult to pin down exactly, it can be safely stated that the New York jacket was worn into 1864, as evidenced by a photographic image of the Headquarters Tent, 120th New York Volunteers, taken in late October of that year.
(This Article was originally published in the Fall 1984 Living History Magazine) Copyright 1984 by Robert A. Braun; Reprinted by permission of the author.

The image(s) below are NOT the 76th.. they are othe units. Vua the National Archives.

(NYS Engineers)