|DESCENDANTS OF JOSEPH COULTER|
In his will dated 20 Oct 1778 and proved 13 Dec 1778, Joseph Coulter of Bridgewater Somerset Co. NJ left
to his son John, 5 shillings as his birthright. Requested that his real estate be sold and son, Alexander, to
receive 2/3 of the proceeds. To his two grandsons, sons of John, he bequested 10 pounds each when they
arrived at age 21. The rest of the estate was left to his four daughters but his daughter, Ann, was to have
hers "as she needs it." The executors were named as son-in-law, David Howell, and "my relation, James
Linn." The witnesses were Jeremiah Oliver, Richard Oliver, and Elias V. Court.
Joseph Coulter died at what is now Martinsville Somerset Co. NJ in 1778. He was in America by 1747
when daughter, Phebe, was born. He was married to (unknown) who apparently died before his will was
made in 1778.
From Somerset County Historical Quarterly: Alexander and John Colthar were sons of the old stock of
original Scotch-Irish settlers.
Children of JOSEPH COULTER and (unknown):
1. John who served in Revolutionary War under Capt. Jacob TenEyck in Somerset Co. NJ. He is possibly
the John Coulter born about 1740; died 1789 Maysville KY; married Abigail Parshal born NY.
2. Alexander served in Revolutionary War under Capt. Jacob TenEyck in Somerset Co. NJ. He is possibly
the one who left a will filed in Somerset Co. This will names his wife as Margaret and sons, John, Laffert
Waldron, and Joseph; daughter, Margaret. This Alexander died 28 Jan 1811.
4. PHEBE born 30 Dec 1747 NJ; died 25 Aug 1827 Bound Brook Somerset Co. NJ; married there 24 Nov
1765 DAVID HOWELL born 26
Nov 1739; died 23 June 1827 Bound Brook NJ.
5. Daughter; possibly Peggy.
6. Daughter; possibly Sarah. Cornelius Vermeule of Somerset Co. in 1783 mentioned Sarah Coulthar,
daughter of Joseph, in his will. The IGI microfiche has a Joseph Coulthar born 1728 Bridgewater NJ whose
daughter, Sarah born 1765, married Lefferd Waldron in 1790.
Updated 12 Nov 2000