|DESCENDANTS OF LEONIN BLANCHAN|
The only record I have found that establishes LEONIN BLANCHAN as the progenitor of this family is a
marriage contract dated 12 Apr 1649 recorded at the Walloon Church of Canterbury England between
"Anthoin Blanchamp, son of the late Leonin and the late Isabeau LeRoy, his father and mother; and Martine
Valque, daughter of Jacques, assisted by Jaque Valque, her brother, and Mathiew Marheim."
Children of LEONIN BLANCHAN and ISABEAU LEROY:
+1. MATTHEW born about 1610; in his testamentary deposition in 1665, he stated that he was born in the
village of Noeuville o corne in the parish Ricame in the province of Artois France. Before 1633, he moved
to Armentieres and married about 15 Oct 1633 MAGDELINE JOIRE bp 27 Oct 1611at Armentierres
France; daughter of Petrus Joire and Jacoba Le Blanc. Before 1647, they had moved to England. By 1651
they were in Mannheim Germany probably persuaded to go there by the new tax laws and provisions made
to induce Huguenot merchants and manufacturers to help rebuild this territory. On 26 Apr 1660, they
arrived at New Amsterdam on the Gilded Otter listed as: Mattheus Blanchand, farmer, from Artois, wife
and three children 12, 9, and 5 years old. He was granted a Deed of Confirmation by Governor Nicholls 18
June 1664 "for a house and lot of ground lying and being at Wiltwyck, at Esopus." Matthew was there as
early as Oct 1661 when he was levied an excise tax for wine and beer. He acquired considerable property at
Esopus. Sometime prior to 25 April 1663 they went to New Dorp which was destroyed by the Esopus
Indians in June of 1663. Two of his children were carried away into captivity by the Indians and were
rescued months later. Matthew left a will dated 22 Aug 1671 and proved 7 Mar 1687/8.
2. Antoine married Martine Valque about Apr 1649.
Children of MATTHEW BLANCHAN and MAGDELINE JOIRE:
1. Catherine married 16 Oct 1655 in Mannheim Germany Louis DuBois born 27 Oct
1626 Wicres France; died 23 June 1693 Kingston NY; son of Christian DuBois and Cornelia (unknown). They
settled in Kingston NY; then moved to New Paltz NY but later returned to Kingston.
2. MARIA born 1640 Armentieres France; died about 1679 Kingston NY; married Mannheim Germany 31
Jan 1660 ANTOINE
CRISPELL born 1635 Sanghin-ep-Weppes France; died about 6 Nov 1707 Ulster Co. NY. They
emigrated to America on The Gilded Otter arriving 26 Apr 1660. He left will dated 6 Nov 1707; proved 10
3. Maximilianus bp 14 Aug 1642 Armentieres France; died before 1660.
4. Magdeline born 7 Mar 1645/6 Mannheim Germany; bp 16 May 1647 at Walloon Church Canterbury
England; died after 1719; married 28 Sep 1667 at Kingston RDC Jan Matthyssen Jansen born Fort Orange
NY; died before 1724 Kingston NY.
5. Elizabeth born about 1651; married (1) 27 Oct 1668 at Old Dutch Church Kingston NY Peter Cornelisen
Louw born 1645 Holstein Germany; died 1692 Kingston NY; son of Cornelius Louw; married (2) before 1693
Jan Focken. Peter Cornelisen Louw left will dated 20 Dec 1690; proved 4 Mar 1708.
+6. Matthew born 18 Apr 1655; died 1692 Kingston NY; married 30 Mar 1679 Kingston RDC Margrietje Claas Van Schoonhoven born 1659 Albany NY.
7. Anna married 12 May 1670 Simon Freer
Children of Matthew Blanchan and Margrietje Claas Van Schoonhoven:
1. Matthys born 30 Nov 1679.
2. Niclaus born 2 July 1682 Kingston NY; married Marietje Hoornbeck born 19 Feb 1687/88; daughter of
Warnaar Hoornbeck and Anna De Hooges.
3. Cornelia born 1683; married Andries LeFevre.
4. Magdelina born 7 Mar 1686; married 1710 Samuel Brevier; born 21 Jan 1679/80 New Paltz NY; son of
Louis Brevier and Maria LeBlanc.
5. Nathaniel born 18 Nov 1694.
6. Margaret born 29 Oct 1699.
7. Elizabeth bp 28 Jan 1691/2 Kingston NY RDC; married 16 June 1715 New Paltz NY Peter Cantine born
21 May 1693 New Paltz NY; died 1761; son of Moses Cantine and Elizabeth Deyo.
8. Catheryne born 1688; married Jean LeFevre.
Updated July 31 2002