ORIGINS OF THE DEVOTION
The chaplet honoring the Holy Wounds of Jesus traces its origins to an nineteenth century French nun of the Visitation Order, Sister Mary Martha. From early childhood the former Francoise Chambon experienced visions in which Jesus manifested himself to her.
In 1864, Francoise entered the convent of the Visitation nuns at Chambery as a lay-sister and was given the name Mary Martha. Approximately two years later, in 1866, not only was she favored with frequent apparitions of Our Lord, but of the Blessed Virgin, angels and the souls suffering in Purgatory. The emphasis of these visions were directed towards the wounds of Jesus, which, at times, appeared bathed in splendor and at other times bleeding. Our Lord asked Sister Mary Martha to unite herself with the pains of His most Holy Wounds.
In June of 1867, Our Lord revealed to her that as He had chosen St. Margaret Mary, also a nun of the Visitation Order, to make known the devotion to His Most Sacred Heart, He had chosen her, Mary Martha, to make known the devotion to His other Wounds and instructed her to pray the Chaplet of the Holy Wounds, the prayers of which He, Himself, taught her.
To those who would embrace the devotion to His Holy Wounds, Our Lord made a series of promises.
THE PROMISES OF JESUS
1. "At each word that you pronounce of the Chaplet of the Holy Wounds, I allow a drop of My Blood to fall upon the soul of a sinner."
2. "Each time that you offer to My Father the merits of My divine Wounds, you win an immense fortune."
3."Souls that will have contemplated and honored My crown of thorns on earth, will be My crown of glory in Heaven!"
4. "I will grant all that is asked of Me through the invocation of My Holy Wounds. You will obtain everything, because it is through the merit of My Blood, which is of infinite price. With My Wounds and My Divine Heart, everything can be obtained."
5. "From My Wounds proceed fruits of sanctity. As gold purified in the crucible becomes more beautiful, so you must put your soul and those of your companions into My sacred Wounds; there they will become perfected as gold in the furnace. You can always purify yourself in My Wounds."
6. "My Wounds will repair yours. My Wounds will cover all your faults. Those who honor them will have a true knowledge of Jesus Christ. In meditation on them, you will always find a new love. My wounds will cover all your sins."
7. "Plunge your actions into My Wounds and they will be of value. All your actions, even the least, soaked in My Blood, will acquire by this alone an infinite merit and will please My Heart."
8. "In offering My Wounds for the conversion of sinners, even though the sinners are not converted, you will have the same merit before God as if they were."
9. "When you have some trouble, something to suffer, quickly place it in My Wounds, and the pain will be alleviated."
10. "This aspiration must often be repeated near the sick: 'My Jesus, pardon and mercy through the merits of Your Holy Wounds!' This prayer will solace soul and body."
11. "A sinner who will say the following prayer will obtain conversion: 'Eternal Father, I offer You the Wounds of our Lord Jesus Christ to heal those of our souls.'"
12. "There will be no death for the soul that expires in My Holy Wounds; they give true life."
13. "This chaplet is a counterpoise to My justice; it restrains My vengeance."
14. "Those who pray with humility and who meditate on My Passion, will one day participate in the glory of My divine Wounds."
15. "The more you will have contemplated My painful Wounds on this earth, the higher will be your contemplation of them glorious in Heaven."
16. "With My Wounds and My Divine Heart you can obtain all you ask. My Wounds will repair your wounds. My wounds will cover all your faults. Those who honor them will have true knowledge of Me."
17. "Do not forget to offer My Holy Wounds for the souls in Purgatory as there are but few who think of their relief. The Holy Wounds are the treasure of treasures for the souls in Purgatory."
METHOD OF PRAYING THE CHAPLET OF THE HOLY WOUNDS
The Chaplet may be prayed using an ordinary five decade rosary.
On the Crucifix make the sign of the cross and say:
1. O Jesus, Divine Redeemer, be merciful to us and to the whole world. Amen.
On each of the first three small beads say:
2. On the first bead: Strong God, holy God, immortal God, have mercy on us and on the whole world. Amen.
3. On the second bead: Grace and mercy, O my Jesus, during present dangers, cover us with Your Precious Blood. Amen.
4. On the third bead: Eternal Father, grant us mercy through the Blood of Jesus Christ, Your only Son; grant us mercy, we beseech You. Amen.
The rest of the Chaplet is said in the following manner:
On each of the large beads say:
5. Eternal Father, I offer You the Wounds of Our Lord Jesus Christ to heal the wounds of our souls.
On each of the small beads say:
6. My Jesus, pardon and mercy, through the merits of Your Holy Wounds.
Prayerbook: Chaplet of the Holy Wounds
The Chaplet of the Holy Wounds: Monks of Adoration
Prayerbook: Chaplet of the Holy Wounds