MOTHER OF GOD OF LESNA
The Lesna Icon of the Mother of God was discovered on the branches of a pear tree during the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross of the Lord in 1683. It was taken to a nearby Orthodox church in the village of Bukovich, not far from the town of Lesna.
When news of the miraculously appearing icon circulated throughout the surrounding area ... Catholic priests ... in 1686, took the icon ... and put it in the Roman Catholic church at Lesna.
In the early 1800s, Catholic monks founded a large church and monastery at Lesna where they placed the wonderworking icon. In 1863, the monks took part in the Polish revolt, and, by decree of the Russian government, the monastery was closed and converted into an Orthodox women’s monastery. Many miracles were worked by the icon.
The celebration of the Lesna Icon of the Mother of God is also commemorated on September 8 and on the Day of the Holy Trinity.
Source : Icon of the Mother of God of Lesna : Antiochian Christian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America
| NEXT | HOME |